Everyone is the same height

Nice picture from weekly torch to ilustrate it:

It is not very noticable during normal gameplay, but when there is large group of people or army, it looks really weird and unatural. Or when Timmy the Colossus is the same height as everyone else.
I understand, that diffrent heights can cause problems with animation, but i thougt modern game engines can solve it.

3 Likes

In every game is everybody same height :slight_smile:

Not true. There are many games with characters of variable height, even if done in a rather stylised way.

The obvious examples in suitable games are children, dwarves or halflings, some varieties of elf (taller), and to a smaller extent some variations in the frame size of human adults (male/female as well as occasionally between individuals).

1 Like

Yes in many games there are people of differend heights.
And it is little bit weird especially considering that they brag about having “ultimate character customization tool ever developed” (Vavra’s words).

6 Likes

I was very disappointed with Timmy, described as a giant. Instead we end up with a regular sized idiot with a valley girl accent.

6 Likes

With this it will be natural.

1 Like

there’s some people with different heights just look closely. Some of them are in different positions so how can you be sure?

Well that’s annoying. Really hope they fix it, and don’t do that elder scrolls thing where people change height/sizes for certain animations.

1 Like

No they ar not, I looked closely.
And it is not based only on this picture, but on playing Beta and watching videoupdates.

1 Like

There is nothing to fix. It is by design. Dan mentioned in his GDS 2016(czech only) speech that every piece of furniture has unified size e.g. all chairs and tables have the same height, doors have the same width and height. This has everything to do with the NPCs having the same height.
In KCD NPCs have very complex daily cycles during which the interact with various items. For example you have a 6ft tall farmer and his 5ft tall wife. They have similar cycles, use, pick up, drop same items but the animations are designed for just one bodysize. If they were designed fot the tall guy, his short wife couldnt reach for the pickable items. What now? Add animations for standing on her tiptoes? Make her arms unnaturaly long? Pretend she is a Jedi and uses “the force” to compensate for her small stature?
Or sitting on a chair. Either the wife is sitting with her legs dangling 5 inches in the air or the farmer has his feet 5 inches under the floor. The only solution is to make unique animation sets for every bodysize.
But how many heights? Just the two? Man are tall, women are short? Not very realistic. Women can be taller than a lot of guys. I would prefer at least three different heights(S, M, L). That means three times more work, money and time spent on it. Is the value added realy worth it?

Similar problems would arise in the combat system. If you stabed normal-sized enemy in the face, the hit would land where it is supposed to, but a tall knight would be hit in the chest and with a short knight, the same hit would land in the empty space 5 inches above his head. Not to mention how their different reach based on the different length of their arms would affect the combat. Solution? Adjust all animations and combat calculations based on their height. S vs M. S vs L. M vs L. For every weapon! Easy peasy. KCD would proudly release in 2020:-)

6 Likes

One more thing… the clothing system. I bet it works only if all NPC have nearly the same size/height.

After the kickstarter they reworked all the buildings, and made the doors bigger because it could happen that the NPC get stuck in the entrance.

Maybe there are exceptions, but that´s the norm… :slight_smile:

I´m not happy with this solution(same height), but maybe someone will find a better one and mod it into the game…

Who knows…??? :blush:

1 Like

There are solutions for example:

If thy would make two animations (edit the same one) one fo tallest person posible and for shortest. Those animations can be blend together for every height betveen.

If their combat system is physics based how they claim, it should be posible to have people of diferent heights.

It of course would not be easy thing to make and if they did’t planed it from begining, it is imposible to add it in late stage of development.

2 Likes

clothing system would’t be that much of a problem. They already have fat and slim people.[quote=“Blacksmith, post:11, topic:32142”]
but maybe someone will find a better one and mod it into the game…
[/quote]
Far to complex thing to be moded in.

Oh no, I think the clothing system is a mess, and it will never work properly. When the NPC move it looks ugly because the lower layers turn outside.

THIS! They try to compensate fat and slim. It dosn´t work all the time. Check in your first posting the women/boobs…! :blush:
Have you ever worn clothes which are much too long or short? No way to compensate this.
The only way would be a own cloth colection for every height of the NPCs.

Yes…

1 Like

That is true, i hope they will fix it in final game. But i think that it is mess mainly becuse diferent models of colthing layerd over each other.

Look at Dragon’s Dogma for example, do you think they modeled own cloth colection for every height? No it is same model just resized and stretched a bit.

1 Like

Anyway my initial question was: Will everyone be the same height in the final game.
Would be nice if someone from Warhorse could answer it. It is not that hard just yes or no.

1 Like

If you post your question(s) at the weekly torch, there is a bigger chance to get an answer. Try it! :slight_smile:

Well didn’t think about that complexity, but makes sense. And yes, I also think many games use mostly one sized NPC’s. Except for different races, like dwarves and elves or so. But if it’s only humans, mostly same sized. That was always one problem I had with games when it comes to immersion.