Evolution of game developers muse

I was just talking to my brothers about elder scrolls morrowind, and the evolution of the elder scrolls series. (before morrowind it was even more sandboxy but only on pc)

Anyway back to the point, morrowwind was very hardcore compared to oblivion and even more so than skyrim. While skyrim was beautiful and mods made it even better, it was very “on the rails” compared to morrowind.

Taking a look back, it was easy to go off the rails in morrowind and play however you wanted, even to the point of subverting the entire questline. You could kill main quest giving npcs. If you did so, youd be left to your own devices. No npc to tell you what to do next. The developers must have even wanted this to be a possible play style as they made the game still beatable by just killing vivec and getting what you need to beat the game. (i can’t imagine the anger of players if a game like that was released today) Bethesda evolved continually toward a more populist form of gameplay, leaving the hardcore nature behind for more money. (i cant blame them, but from a gamers perspective it still sucks)

There are plenty of other developers that have done the same. The evolution of bioware from baldurs gate, to the amazing mass effect, to the pile of dog crap that is Andromeda.

I hope that taleworlds keeps its theme for bannerlord, but if history is an indication of the future, they and warhorse will one day abandon the sandbox experience for a more popular style of gameplay

fist time I played Morrowind I learned about the glitch where you pause mid swing and switch to a lock pick; it has a very slim chance of hitting but if it does hit it will kill about anything. Anyway, as soon as I met Cassius(spelling?)(the first NPC who is imperative to the Pilgrims Path) I killed him and it said “You jeopardized the Pilgrims Path” basically saying I done fcked up…so I went on to a place my friends told me about, the Dren Plantation(?) where I killed another dude with my lock pick, got a Daedric katana and from there I went to Vivec and robbed the vaults. Demolishing everything with my Daedric katana and my health/stam/magika regen cheats…before too long I had such a high bounty I literally don’t remember a place I could go without guards losing their sht and trying to kill me…it was great

1 Like

did they ever remaster it? like, really remaster it and bring it up to date? I feel like that is the most praised game of the series…it was my favorite, but honestly I’m not sure if nostalgia is bringing me false memories or not…I was in middle school and, as mention, didn’t exactly play it how I was supposed to lol

No and personally i dont want them to remake another game. Im just using it as an example of how developers always bow to the majority when making games.

1 Like

Right. Money talks I guess

Hence the save and quit option lol

They’ve already buckled on their idea…unhappy buyers/people who didn’t know what it was are going to change it even more watch

1 Like

Make a game how you want. Release modding tools. Get free testers and unlimited content thus selling more copies/more special editions…idk why people don’t understand that

Thanks for this topic. It made me check again on
https://openmw.org/en/
And it looks like there has been some development recently. I’m looking forward to the release 1.0.
Heck this even runs on raspberry pi. It’s not playable but it runs :slight_smile: