Exactly what raises reading levels?

I have been trying to figure out exactly what books raise reading levels. I know the Primer books do, but what about lore books. The Wiki’s say nothing about that lore books do, other than just to get some history in. I searched all over Google and could not find one thing that was clear in what lore books do. I have read a bunch of them and didn’t see any rise in reading skill. I think the skill books do a little., not sure about the alchemy books.
So what Exactly are the things that increase the reading level? Can I purchase reading levels? Appreciate an help on this.

Did you learn to read from the scribe in Uzhitz first? Opening books does raise my skill once i’ve learn to read.

Yes I did learn to read, are you saying that lore books do increase reading?

reading…lol

4 Likes

yes and seing the treasure maps too

Reading pretty well anything (books, crosses, shrines, etc) raises your reading level by some amount - you can see percentages and track changes in the skills list with detailed view of that skill. Unless it’s a reading skill book - the Primer series - the advancement won’t show until you actually reach a new level of the skill.

Both times I’ve played through I went through the same process:
Learn to read from the scribe, then get the first training level from him, then study the first two primer books. That’s a pretty concentrated jumpstart to reading. After this, you can just start studying whatever skill books you’ve collected to increase reading further. Soon you’ll be at level 5 and can get another training level. Reading anything and everything afterward will incrementally boost the skill as you play on.

Thank you Endincite for a clear and understandable explanation how to increase reading. I wish they would copy that into the wiki, save others a lot of time! I was reading the shrines and crosses, as well as the lore books. So I will continue to do so! I know there are 4 Primer books, and will work to read as much as possible. I even put together some spreadsheets on all the books so i can keep track of which ones I buy and have read (so i dont buy them again, and for completion).
Much thanks for your help. Also, I guess I can sell the books I have read already.

1 Like

Anytime.

I think each book is marked by a star if you haven’t read it yet, so spreadsheets might not be totally necessary.
As a spreadsheet warrior in other games though, don’t let me discourage you :laughing:

2 Likes

any time you read.

I find it funny that even though I can’t read yet, I can still read all the names on the shrines…

I may be wrong, but I assume it’s based on how many books you read through. I’m sure you just have to flip through the pages once and go to the next one. It’d be cool if I’m wrong though.

I think you only need to open the book once, or the treasure map, or whatever document requires reading. Don’t forget the bonus when sitting on a chair or bed (that bonus is better).

But I think you won’t get any xp until you first take the reading lessons from the scribe, so wait before reading any book.

That’s for outside the game. A paid for tribute to the kick starters so they can have bragging rights.