For a better atmosphere: add volumetric fog please!

The early alpha versions looked really nice with volumetric fog over the landscape of Bohemia. This atmospheric feature was completely removed for the final game. There is a chance to get this feature back in future updates? This is not just a weather effect, it had such a great impact to the atmosphere and looked very nice!!!

Please Warhorse, I believe in you!

2 Likes

not sure many pc’s could handle that tbh if people were moaning about getting less than 60fps like in here

I have a three-four year old midrange (enthusiast) PC.
Turning the fog on (on PC press tilde key~ for console; type e_volumetricfog=1) doesnt affect framerate bugger all.

I certainly am not ‘on the verge’ of running the game; it plays very fluid in Ultra detail…
The fog is without doubt the best thing for making the vision mesh. It makes the sense of scale top tier! Really feel like the world is alive.

Someone mentuoned in a forum somewhere it was removed as it affected underground areas as well…

Not sure what I believe.
Consoles could prolly muster it (maybe not at 1400p)…
The effect is the most essential thing to reimplement (next to removable HUD) IMO.

1 Like

Exactly. It could be a PC exclusive feature, if consoles have problems to handle it.
This and removable (or better customizable) HUD are the most important features they should implement.
Fog in underground areas is not unrealistic, but if they think it shouldn’t be there, it could be reworked.

We dont know if Microsoft have limitations on multiplat releases (I imagine they would hate a PC game having a better graphical feature)

NDAs. (Non disclosure agreements)

The fog is so awesome there is no reason for it to be missing; so spare me my evil thoughts on the topic.

No fog

Then… with fog…
In motion what the fog brings is amazing… it truly puts depth into the screen and makes the world expansive.
(Ignore my ancient android phones camera being caught out with screen refresh and dampening colour etc…)

Uzhitz in 1920x1080 ultra and sliders at max

A better example (the above shots were composed in a few minutes and didnt really convey WHY fog makes the view seem real…):

Same place/shot with fog off. (Below)
We can see that the weather ‘mist’ still operates.
Framerate is basically the same…

1 Like

JESUS, THIS LOOKS AMAZING !!!

I will continue with this game until fog and removable HUD are added officially via patch. Otherwise it is only a half experience.