Gallow brothers: can't make them give up

I don’t want to kill Matthew and Fritz.
I don’t want to kill Andrew.
I don’t want to steal the money for poor miners.
I want to make my stupid friends give up their stupid plan.

So I told Sir Robard that increase number of guard and he said yes.

And I gave a cure for horses to stable master.

And I told Matthew that I’m in that stupid plan.

Then I waited for 5 day.

But there is no dialog which make them give up the robbery until quarry has arrived.

So after few moment, M&F bravely charged to guard and get them self killed.

What should I do for my stupid friends?

Must I steal those money for saving my friends? is there no other options such as
Andrew the inkeeper said?

same here. i don’t want to kill those bastards as they are old friends, but i don’t want them to rob honest miners either. only thing i could think of was to load previous save where I don’t take the quest at all.

Refuses to do a honest day work but willing to steal thousands of groschens from hard working folks. Sounds like they had it coming for them. Momma was right, they’re hang one day.

1 Like

well, now that you put it that way, i might help them climb those gallows :smile: D

Falstaff: Do not thou, when thou art king, hang a thief.
Henry V: No; thou shalt.

1 Like

I tried this to successfully achieve zfedaykin’s and mbarbaric’s goal :

• waited till noon for the transport to arrive along with the guards
  • found Matthew and Fritz at the cliff overlooking the camp (there’s a small pathway leading up from the miners’ camp, you may ride good ol’ Pebbles towards their hide-out)
  • ensured I did not have any weapon drawn (to have them survive the quest you must fist-fight with them, otherwise someone will be dead after a fight with weapons)
  • sneaked upon Matthew and knocked him out before getting into a fist-fight with Fritz ( you won’t be able to fist-fight with both of them at the same time)
  • knocked out Fritz in a really tough battle
  • robbed Matthew’s and Fritz’s armor and weapons
  • chased away their horses
  • had a second fist-fight with each of them until both surrendered (sneak upon Matthew first again)
  • chased each of them away as far as reasonable, e.g. towards Talmberg
  • unfortunately, after they fled they will return twice (after each hour) though each of them is less and less able to fist-fight for long
  • fist-fight and chase them away again until after 5 PM or so, after that time they did not show up again

So, in result their life is spared, and the robbery of the miners’ wages prevented, as zfedaykin and mbarbaric asked for.
however, the gallow brothers’ quest is terminated by this. And I am not sure whether any of them will be hanged sooner or later for doing more stupid stuff.
regards - Rob

I find it really disappointing that you can’t talk - or even beat - sense into their brain. In my opinion that is somewhat bad quest design considering the fact that most other quests usually have different meaningful options to choose from.
Another thing that really, REALLY, pissed me off: I wanted to help fend off Matthew’s and Fritz’s attack and from trying the thieving part of the questline out before I know that you have the possibility to wait up to the moment of the attack to begin when you’re with the lads. Why isn’t the same thing possible when you’re in the quarry waiting for the robbery to begin? I spent 20 minutes waiting ingame for the robbery to begin. I waited IN the quarry, IN the quest area and always until noon to see what might happen. In the end I missed the robbery, the quest failed and Matthew and Fritz are nowhere to be seen - neither are their corpses.
Why exactly do I have to time this perfectly myself? This wastes my gaming time which I could have used for something else that is actually fun and not pointless waiting. Just saying.

You can just refuse the quest right at start and as far as I know, they will hang aorund the Inn for the rest of the game, waiting for you to change your mind and accept to get involved.

Why would you defend criminals? You don’t want them to rob the poor miners, so where is the problem? They are criminals.
Do you show leniency to the other criminals in the game? The cumans are only hired help. It’s not their fault their boss is an asshole.

Well you don’t have to kill anyone. If you have a very high lock pick skill you can just pick the chest in the castle that contains the money (just watch out for a few guards on patrol)…get out of the castle and meet the boys on the hill, spilt the loot and be on your way. *remember to speak to both of them directly after the quest ends if you want them to come the Privitslavitz. Obviously if you want the Judas trophy snitch on them and get them hung…just hard save before the robbery and snitch on them…then let things play out until the trophy pops. then reload and do the quest what ever other way you want. I just had henry steal the money and split it. Now every can be found in Privitslavitz.