Game became unplayable after never having a problem

Bare with me please, first time poster after being around for a month. Looked around but couldn’t find a problem. Most bugs are always there, you just might not have triggered to run yet.

Last week I opened the game and after a few minutes the game suddenly went to 1 FPS and extremely delayed response. Henry wasn’t doing anything he hadn’t just been when the game was running perfectly just mere seconds ago. Reloaded, no problems. Next day I load the game and go in the other room while it loads, come back after a while, still on the main screen the game, and the game went back to 1 fps and extremely delayed responses. Reload it, everything working fine, then after a few minutes of gameplay it always goes back to broken.

Did nothing to my computer in terms of installing or deleting, and was always on patch 1.4.3.

Any suggestions?

Did nothing to my COMPUTER?

If ye using win10 you arent the only one tinkering with your pc.
I have seen win10 used tonnes of times to break games and make the console version seem superior (nets M$ more money).
Now I wouldnt go around saying it was intentional if I hadnt seen if first hand (and lots of times), most fiercely done with microsoft first parties BTW…

Taking the consipracy theorist aspect of this chat aside (and giving it a solid thrashing in the back room so it doesnt open its ugly mouth again…)

Win10 does update drivers.
Sriver updates can and will nullify changes you might have set and also leave things in potentially broken states (like you are experiencing).
Many times win10s autoupdate can be aided by rebooting. (Seems microsoft are trying to cover over how often it updates nowadays- over last month or so I have seen a few cases of it ‘snuck’ an update on; with no evidence in update history etc)(yet telltale signs such as Forza ‘reoptimising’ itself revealing it DID happen).

Over last few months microsoft have been doing some of their typical dodgy updates that just break the pc as a gaming platform (like how they would break direct x input stuff that had worked for decades when it was the only was to enforce people to buy officially licenced wheels and products)

Id reboot the PC definately.
Id download latest graphics drivers from the chipmakers homepages (either AMD or Nvidia)
Id check game settings which the present game build keeps changing if the game is returned to fullscreen from windowed fullscreen. (Since build 1.4.3)

Just know that on win10 ‘gamemode’ (which is nearly impossible to benefit from) is now enforced.
It will be the new way going forward for M$ to dik with the gaming public.

How much we can help windows to help us is all gone (with win10). Win10 is designed to net xbox sales. Hence why it was free (would allow M$ to create bullshit metrics and thusly statistics aboit how many directx 12 capable systems are in the wild; to get devs to optimise for and squeeze an extra 5% from the underpowered box (vs the competitors, on launch).

Sorry I escapes the beating in the back room and feel a real need to warn users away from M$ dodgyness.

It’d be nice to think that reinstalling proper graphics drivers should sort it out (wun10 has forced driver updates and it will break great working drivers with broken forced drivers at will and randomly)

Soz for a rant. Hope it is findable (the issue)

Could also be an overheating part… (eg thermal paste in cpu or gpu parts no longer doing the trick)run ‘hwmonitor’ as an easy way to see max temps.
If your cpu was thernal throttling tgis could happen and would give evidence likeyou have been seeing…

Thanks for the response. Definitely will keep an eye on switching screens, I ALT-Tab a lot, it always reverts to windowed when I ALT-Tab back.

Rebooted several times already. nVidia came out with a patch today that specifically mentioned KCD among others, but thought I gave it a go after install. Can’t check right now because I’m redownloading and trying a fresh install.

1 Like

Aha; yes- as an 'alt-tab’er you might notice some settings going askew upon fullscreening (only since 1.4.3).

Everytime we return to the game now it is in borderless fullscreen (me thinketh M$ have added it in game mode and so now it is forced broken for many)…
When we make it true fullscreen again it defaults all graphical changes to a preset.

If your machine isnt happy with that preset: we might have framerate issues.
Pretty easy to check this one;
Go to settings-

I can tell it happens whenever game ‘reloads’ itself when all I am doing is changing screen modes.
Hope this helps

Well there was a screwy update with Win10 recently. Not Warhorse’s fault.