Game freezes/crashes with above medium graphics

If the graphics are set to “High” then the game crashes within minutes. The game is only playable under the medium graphics settings, albeit less fun. I think this was mentioned as an issue before, if not for the past couple years actually. So apologies for redundancy if that is the case, but it should hopefully encourage the devs. I have avoided this game for the last year or more simply because I cannot play it for more than a few minutes, or on terrible graphics settings. Sad to find that this is still the case.

Graphics card = Radeon HD 6970 2 GB

Also, I am unable to log into the official bug tracking site with my credentials.

On high settings, I believe, the game takes up at most 4GB VRAM. The problem may be you just don’t have enough memory. I’ll check the game again to make sure I’m correct about VRAM usage.

Hmm. I appreciate that input. Does this game really have that much “better” graphics than games such as Skyrim, etc? This card is not new, but I can play games like Skyrim with the improved graphics on high and games like Rome 2: Total War with huge armies (which would be graphics memory intensive too). OR is there an issue with memory leakage due to coding? I’ve only done basic coding, but I am aware that such issue as memory leak / excessive memory use exist. I was thinking the latter is the problem, but would be happy to know if it’s just “amazing” graphics and worth buying a new card for it. BUT I am seeing people with some much newer graphics cards complaining as well. So, again, I am thinking that the coding is inefficient or leaky here.

It definitely looks better than Skyrim at max settings. Skyrim didn’t use more than 2GB VRAM on max settings unless you were using 4k textures. Based on what I’ve seen on the forum and the tests I’ve done is that KC:D is not using all of the GPU power. This game only uses 40% of my GPU, which is very unusual for this kind of game. Memory seemed fine for me, but I have 8GB VRAM. So, if memory is leaking I might not notice it. So your best option for now is to limit draw distance and textures if you’re going to put the game on max settings. The game looks really good with the highest textures though. Some of it looks better than The Witcher 3.

The graphics are really good, way better than Skyrim. Some things look insanely realistic to me. It’s also a very densely filled and detailed gameworld. I have a GTX 980 Ti and i still play on medium, because of the poor optimization.

That is my point exactly. You have a top of the line ~$500 GPU and you too can only play on medium. Something is not right, and it is not the “amazingness” but inefficiency if not error.

If you run monitoring software, you will see the 980 Ti isn’t being utilized at 100%. Neither is your CPU, assuming you have a similarly powerful CPU to match it, and you’re not trying to run it on an old Pentium or something.

People are too obsessed with max settings. This build of the game offers plenty of settings options, and if you go too high, the game crashes. The alternative would be calling medium settings ultra, and not giving anyone the option of higher settings. Then the ultra fanboys will be happy.

The beta is broken, and will remain broken. No updates are coming. The final game will do better, and we simply have to wait and see what it looks like when that happens.

I have played the game on a 750 Ti, 1060 and 1070. All three cards offered almost identical performance, although the 750 Ti did struggle at higher settings, while the other two managed to give the same 30-35 FPS at higher settings. The 750 Ti only managed 20-25 at higher settings, completely unplayable and jerky, but tolerable at the lowest settings with 30-35 FPS on average.

Well, the settings that I need to play without crashes are on the low end of medium with low resolution. Nonetheless, you make a fair point Aradiel, if you are correct that the devs will be fixing these issues in the next build (or final version). My frustration was that content was being added while so many customers have been unable to play any of it, and thus unable to give feedback.

There has been 0 content added since the beta was released. They got all the feedback they needed fairly quickly and have since been focusing on completing the game.

The developer version and the public beta are two completely different builds now.