Games keeps switching in borderless mode from full screen mode

I noticed that the game runs better in full screen mode than in borderless mode. I do custom graphic settings on full screen, but after a while when I go back into the video settings it is back in borderless. When I change back to full screen it changes automatically all my graphic settings back to High presets. then I need to manually change everything back to my custom ultra high setting. This is annoying. Any idea to make sure it stays in full screen mode all the time. I noticing much better frame rates in towns in indoors when playing full screen.

My video settings are ULTRA HIGH preset with post processing, shaders, shadows on VERY HIGH and motion blur off in 1440p.

1 Like

Even with my new Ryzen 7 2700 upgrade I don’t operate in your rarified level however just a stab at it do you use the HD setting optional patch? It is know to keep dragging settings back to its level, this might(?) screw up manual settings?

I run an overclocked 8700k at 4.8 GHZ on all cores and have an overclocked RTX 2080. I activated HD textures and using the ultrahigh Preset. no vsync (since I have G-Sync). I reduced Shaders, Shadows, and Post Processing to “Very High”. Motion blur" is off (I don’t like it).
Frame rates are usually between 60fps and 80fps with drops into the 40 in some towns and some indoor locations. also rattay at night with torches sometimes drops into high 30s. And I definitely see better frame rates in full screen than in borderless.

but have you tried it with the HD texture thing off? I don’t use it after seeing on a playthrough how it kept resetting to all hd settings after the streamers manual setting
 Personally I just got to the very high level visual and above 35 FPS at best.

the game switches back to borderless if you tab out of the game. happens to me all the time. i dont get it why they are not able to fix this.

Yes, it is getting old. My FPS drops to around 25, which is how I am reminded that I am no longer in fullscreen mode :stuck_out_tongue: I play with 35 to 40 FPS (no lag, fine with me).

Just to point out one of the causes :
When you tab-out (to Desktop or other software), the game switches to Borderless

On Windows 10, this is a nice trick, as “tabbing-out” from Fullscreen tends to cause crashes in many games.
Too bad it does not revert to Fullscreen when you return to play.

That said, the game often loads in Borderless for some reason.

1 Like

Worked fine.
Somewhere around patch 1.4-1.5 it started this crazy behaviour. (Mucking up all custom settings-defaulting to high, after leaving game; returns game as ‘borderless windowed’, returning to fullscreen mucks up settings, returning game to ‘xbox x or less’ levels.

I put money that this issue/error is to do with win10 ‘game mode’

Game mode is now forced and is only inown to cripple games.
Game mode was the result of turn 10s advanced access to xbox x hardware.
Shortly after a microsoft studio got ahold of the ‘scorpio’ hardware; game mode was created.
Magically that studios pc title was crippled to play worse than the xbox x would deliver.
After a few months game mode was made permanent and undefeatable.
It hasnt been shown to be of any benefit (most games I have issues with are a result of game modes ‘borderless window’ preference- mad as windows games have always run better in fullscreen mode. -working PC games dont net console sales.
Console sales net yearly subscriptions, licensed peripherals sales and money for every software title sold.
Needless to say microsoft is working VERY HARD to kill PC gaming.

Notice how 3d audio died with the first xbox releases.
Now sli/dual card gaming, multimonitor and even 3D gaming, all commonplace on PC for over a decade, is made unfathomable, mostly, in a win 10 playing field.

The few direct x 12 titles are all mostly microsoft exclusives, and they mostly only use the direct x 12 feature that allows one massive texture ‘pool’. They use it to cripple pc video cards to try and run 5gb texture pools; something the xbox one/x has been setup to do; ie shared RAM on an xbox is reconfigurable (albeit slower than ddr5). M$ reconfigure their consoles to run a memory configuration that is ‘anticompetitive’.
The x allows M$ to take the memory pool even past newer 8gb ram video cards.

Its why microsoft first party titles run respectively bad (not saying unreal engine titles are likely to hve low framerates, but 60hz locks and 16:9 and no multimonitor are pretty common place.
Or like forza, put all the processing that delivers maximum framerate on one core; gimp game graphics to console levels, then allow users to use multicore (but dont return the hi qual graphics)- it is what they did with horizon 3
and the team responsible were given full play space to build forza horizon 4
They all have massive issues trying to run better than console level
 the consoles render in hdr and give split screen gaming.
Oh and a 1200mb per second enterprise m2 SSD, paired with quad channel ram on a six core intel loads no quicker than a 5300rpm platter laptop harddrive (in the console).

No doubt m$ use ‘game mode’ to kill/hamper pc gaming experiences.

The forza threads were always filled with posters stating how they were just going to get an xbox to play the game
 (microsoft actually win with these tactics)
Supporting microshaft is the death of gaming. They will NEVER PUT USERS FIRST. SHAREHOLDERS are their only care. If you dont 0wn shares in Microsoft, you are their target.

Whilst KCD needs to have fullscreen mode in windows looked at; chances are it is intentional by the platform holder to make consoles less problematic/easier/more relaible gaming platforms.

I could never get forza horizon 3 to fire up three times ina row reliably.
Generally it would redo the graphic settings and run an ‘optimising for my PC step’ forced on the user whenever a ‘hardware change’ occoured. In win 10 with forced driver updates this is quite often.
The optimisation step could kill stable overclocks that never tripped up, even for hours in an ‘intel burn test’ or a range of ‘worst case scenario’ testing programs.
Forza was the only game that could trip up easy overclocks, and then not run.
Even without any overclocking; the game would always cause PC heartache.
Microsoft removed 10000 threads/posts from official forum stating workarounds and issues, when launching their next title.
I bought forza as an offline rce gme for when my net was down (the crew being my ‘online driving sim’). The last forza patch, on top of reduced draw distances gave a need to be permanently online just to play.
Now their stance is ‘tough’ thats how it is, we dont know how to fix it.
They do, they just dont want to! (More money selling consoles and console games)
Xbox version runs fine btw.

Game mode was used brilliantly dur9ng forza rollout nd has now been streamlined into all windows games.
Magically most of the big $$$ titles get gimped the quickest.
Even if it just causes issues for a few weeks- its enough to have gamers ‘move along’.

M$ will kill pc gaming.
Kingdom Come Deliverance is a massive threat to M$ as the xbox x version runs medium graphics and therefore is heavilly outpunched by three-four year old midrange rigs like mine (that run the game in ultra at higher framerate than the xbox x).
I really believe Warhorse should prebake the shaders needed to make the linux version work flawlessly. Would allow them to see which errors are PLATFORM specific and maybe not their issue to fix

As far as I can see on the www, Game Mode can be turned off on windows 10.

Mine is off, but yes Windows 10 (and the GPU) does not behave the same way in Fullscreen versus Borderless. Some games are unstable in Fullscreen. In KCD, I use Fullscreen only to gather about 5 extra FPS as I don’t want to reduce my graphics settings.

The Borderless/Fullscreen setting is the only one that auto-changes for me. Everything else is fine.

I believe microsoft made game mode on for all titles by their choice, not just for their titles as was first planned.
Also took away option to adjust it.
And yes, even forza likes to be ‘borderless fullscreen’.

Alt+Enter key combo doesnt go fullscreen in many game moded titles, all though that could just be microsofts way now

(They seem to be gimping key combos that have been around for decades and used by many)
AltEnter might go ‘borderless fullscreen’, and generally the way to tell is to look for the reduced performance.
Some games can be wrestled with to go proper fullscreen, but newer windows updates seem to widen the ‘support list’ and makes even more stuff handicapped, ahem, ‘game mode’ed.

If their is a registry hack?
(No option to disable?!)

Its probably my biggest bugbear with KCD- cannot use system apps/system easily when gaming, or else I have to reset my game settings when returning to fullscreen. (Ditto)(has been a thing for awhile now)

Performs same way in forza (includimg having to redo screen refresh rate and change away from m$ default settings, which make the PC play less capably/more like the console)(basically the same problem
)

1 Like

What is the difference between full screen and borderless? Also how does this relate to a 2 screen setup in extended mode? I have been using borderless for the game and it runs on my #2 screen which is set to primary. and the game does not bleed to the other screen.

On a side note I have DL Fallout 4se from steam and can’t get it to run on my primary ( ~25% bigger and 1920x1080) and above 1440x900. Even then it is not centered and the last very small little bit is ( from my point of view) off the screen. My only choices are windowed only or windowed and borderless.
Borderless only is not an option.

Here is my plebeian (non expert) answer :
Fullscreen focuses the graphics fully on the current app/game; which mostly means that the Desktop and background apps are ignored in terms of rendering graphics.

Not only does that improve the GPU capacity to focus on the game, Fullscreen affects gamma settings within a game for example, meaning the game can use a gamma setting that is different than Windows such as the Desktop. Having a specific v-sync or turning it off generally requires Fullscreen, but I am told games that use DirectX 12 are now more flexible on that level.

Borderless just simulates Fullscreen, but while still rendering the Desktop, which allows you to jump to it (tab-out) without too much lag or risk. Jumping out of Fullscreen mode, without stopping it first, can sometimes cause glitches or crashes.

Google recommended some of the answers here : https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/5gz5wc/what_is_the_difference_between_fullscreen_and/

2 Likes

Sounds like the primary screen is of less res than the secondary screen (which is 1920x1080)
 this puts limitations on the renderer; mostly 3d games want to play on the primary screen in single monitor or possibly ‘duplicate’ mode (which works best at same resolution and refresh rate).

I believe that your 1920x1080 screen would run flawlessly if set as the primary/run as the sole screen.

1920x1080 with the ryzen and your modern upper mid tier video card should be ‘very easy’ . Any difficulties are likely due to the multi monitor setup.

It has been that way since win 98 second edition (the first microsoft os with multi card/multiscreen support)

Windows gaming rigs are better with minimal monitor/displays, and ideally, all the same resolution and refresh rate.

Borderless mode can make some ultrawide resolutions work better on multimonitor setups, ideally though games get exclusivity to the video card and gain the most performance by doing so.
Microsoft is so keen to kill off fullscreen (actual fullscreen) that even keyboard shortcuts to force/make fullscreen are being ‘downgraded’.

As the post above lists, win 10 uses direct x 12 in ‘different ways’.
All the planned benefits of direct x 12 (such as two different video accelerators working together) seem lost at microsofts discretion.
They dont wnt pcs to deliver multiscreen gaming/ultrawide gaming/high refresh rate gaming/ultra quality settings (better thn their xbox x).

They make money selling licensed peripherals on consoles, network subscriptions for online gaming, and net money for every piece of software sold in their console ecosystem.
They have killed windows ability to be productive in order to make their console seem appealing.
Many gamers are realising the way forward is a ps4 and a pc. Nintendo are always nintendo-love or hate em

Microsoft consoles are anticonsumer, and poor value based on what is on offer.
Microsoft shortterm plan will alienate them from many consumers and will likely topple the company (certainly will force a shake up).

Great time for linux and direct 3d support products- time to jump ship as the m$ future is pretty dark.
Of course we can choose to drink the coolaid and buy into their rapid release cycle/bragging rights philosophy. Their aquisition of first party studios this year should lead to some ‘cleverly optimised’ pc/xbox games. (With the pc version requiring stupid resources to underdeliver vs the console equivalent. Just like forza horizon 3!)
Why did we need high level encrypted textures to be decoded on the primary core on the fly
(which also handled windows tasks and was responsible for minimum frame rate delivery
) - oh thats right- makes the console look positively superpowered vs the pc requirements needed to get ‘equal’ performance.

Longshot Soz for the anti microsoft rant- they paid for my view in advance by treating the world like a bank machine built to hand them money. Feel i need to educate consumers (avoid macroshaft)
Congrats on the new build btw- sounds beil. Glad your vid card is no longer bottlenecked!

I have a similar problem, more random, after sleeping or waiting the clock will finish the countdown it reverts from full screen to windows, I have manually rest it to full screen. It is a minor annoyance, there were fixes but with each update to either the graphic driver or to Windows the problem reoccurs.

My primary is #2 and is native 1920x1080
Plz read your PM
#1 is on an HDMI jack and #2 is in the std video jack.
Windows lists #1 as the 1680x1050 Samsung and #2 as 1920x1080 AOC and cant change that.
The game will only display on the 1680-1050 #1 monitor.
I tried display only on #2 and turned off #1 and still not displayed on #2. had to kill the game to get back control.