Graphics card fan running at max

Howdy all,

I just got the game for free on the Epic store and so far it runs fine. I get 144fps in low settings, 75-80 on Ultra High no problem. However, my gpu’s fan intermittently goes full speed every 10-20 seconds or so. This is extremely loud and distracting.

The thing is, I don’t know why. On ultra high settings, my gpu temp maxes out at around 83-84 which is fairly standard. The game does use 100% of it though unless I lower it with Afterburner.

I have tried tweaking all kinds of settings. I’ve messed with the power usage and fans in MSI Afterburner. Even on lowest settings the fan still goes haywire.

Is there any way I can fix this? It doesn’t do this on any other game as my rig can usually handle anything just fine.

Specs:
Ryzen 9 3900X
RTX 2080TI
32g 3200mhz RAM
Noctua NH-D15 for added cooling on cpu with decent airflow in case, so shouldn’t be a problem.
1tb NVMe SSD

Again, performance is fine, gpu temp is fine, but the fan still goes crazy. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Fans spin based on the fan curve. It’s based on temps. It could be CPU or GPU or case. First make sure you know which fan it is, and then set a custom fan curve. This game is pretty CPU heavy, so have you been monitoring CPU temps too? Are you sure it’s the GPU fan?

Either way, the solution is the same, set a custom fan curve if your current settings aren’t what you want them to be.

shadows and shaders are very heavy even for high-end configuration, especially in 4k if you are using this resolution. try to play in 2k and \ or set shaders and shadows to very high, even physics is very intense after high settings. you could try mixing files manually in engine \ cvargroups \ shadow-shading-physics. some values, at least in my opinion, guarantee a poor graphical result by comparing the loss of performance and the overload of components.

Thanks for the advices. I’ll give it a try when I get home. Pretty sure the cpu is fine but never know! :man_shrugging:t4: Also, I’m only running in 2k at the moment so I’ll play around some more with the settings.