Hacking save files to edit statistics

I got myself into a bit of a pickle and I don’t even know how. I’m trying for the merciful achievement, and I check my kill statistics after each battle, making sure that it’s still at zero. I was playing for a few hours after my last fight, and then when I randomly checked again, to my horror it showed that I’d killed one person. I have no idea how that happened. I’m pretty sure I left everyone alive and talking. Anyway, my question is, has anyone figured out how to modify the save file to remove the kill from the statistics? I know it’s technically cheating, but I’ve been trying so hard to play a good Henry this time, saving before each battle and making sure I didn’t kill anyone, and this really bugs me. I’d appreciate any info or help. Thanks.

Sounds obvious but:

A ) reload a previous save?

B ) consider killing, I mean see what those fucking cumans did? I think Henry secretly likes killing LOL.

1 Like

Bleed outs count as kills.

lol i could never do this. so you surrender in every random encounter? and you let the bandits roam around and kill story characters?

I am currently doing a no crime run. No kills. No stealing. No corpse looting. No lock picking.

I don’t surrender. I get them to surrender. I beat them down bare knuckle. Then make them pay for their release, and take their weapons to sell. I also let friendly NPCs take the killing blow.

In my case, I’m not playing a “good” character. I’m playing to a strict set of rules. I often play that way for RP religious zealouts like paladins. I especially like playing fallen paladins that achieve their desired outcome without technically breaking the rules.

1 Like

I do the same thing. And I assume it must have been a bleed out, but back to my original question: does anyone know how to fix it by hacking the save file? Replaying is currently not an option. I’ve been doing the most boring quest of the game, so I’m far more likely to restart the game completely than to do the quest again straight after. I play to enjoy it and not as a chore.

Sounds cool how you set rules for yourself to play in a certain way. However, I’m afraid that at this moment there is no reliable way to hack a save file to ensure it won’t break your game in the future. You can try reloading an earlier save and cheat the quest so you don’t have to go through it again, if it’s so boring.

However, try this mod. At least in the description, it promises the ability to edit stats. Maybe, it’ll help?

What exactly was this boring quest you mentioned, anyway?

Thanks, that might be helpful. My problem is that before yesterday’s session, my only save for a long time was an exit save, so that won’t work anymore. I’d have to replay like 12 hours. :frowning:
My Henry more-or-less only does things I’d do in real life (except killing animals and maybe a few other exceptions). I only let him pick locks a) for practice (he’s not allowed to look inside), b) when it clearly doesn’t belong to anyone (e.g. treasure). I confiscate bandits’ weapons. Sometimes, this requires looting the unconscious bandit, but I don’t take anything else. He also doesn’t take bribes or ask for rewards. Also, when poaching, I don’t take the meat (unless it’s to feed homeless people). It’s a bit weird, but that one is because the meat breaks the economy a little. My first Henry was able to buy the best equipment in the game and the best horse before even first reporting to Sir Radzig in Rattay because he’d been hunting for two days.

Good point. I got distracted. Save file? No. Try Cheat Engine though. It’s a memory hack tool. You will need to kill more people. You will scan memory for the number of kills.

I suggest not scanning for one, since there will be too many instances of it. You then kill some more people and that number then changes. Then you scan again for the original number that has changed to your new kill count.

No idea if it works or not, or if it’s kept in multiple memory addresses to prevent this kind of thing. It’s not something that interests me enough to test out myself.

Thanks. That sounds like a plan.

By the way, I’ve tried the Cheat mod, but I couldn’t find any command relating to statistics. There are only commands to manipulate stats, skills, etc.

I actually thought that ‘stats’ was just a short way to say ‘statistics’… :confused:

I wish…

And to answer the question about the boring quest: It’s the restless spirit. Lots of travelling, so I’ve been doing other things on the way.

Not that anyone cares, but I don’t think it’s possible to complete a no crime run. Borya, that “gives” you the key, just before Ulrich, counts the key as stolen in the stats. Amusingly, if I knock him out, and then “steal” the key, it is not marked as stolen in the crime stats. I have even had things bought from shops that count in the crime stats.

That’s a very good point. Most of the crime avoidance is for my own benefit, so I don’t care about the statistics, but I was really rather hoping for the merciful achievement, which is why I’d like to get this one sorted. I spent a lot of time replaying battles so as not to kill anyone (it’s far too easy to kill later in the game), so I’d like this effort not to be in vain.

Thank you so much for recommending Cheat Engine. It took me a while to get it working (it turns out that the 64-bit sub-executable doesn’t inherit the admin, so I had to launch it directly), but I’ve been able to do what I needed.
KCD.txt (1.1 KB)

I’m uploading the cheat table in case anyone else finds it useful. (Uploaded as .txt - change it to .CT or read the addresses in the file).
The addresses I’ve found (I only searched for the relevant ones):

• People killed
  • Enemies killed
  • People killed with bow
  • People and animals killed

I used badass first Henry to help with the numbers - they’re a lot less boring than “1”. That’s that sorted, then. :slight_smile:

Ummm… How do you get out of the monastery without pickpocketing or stealing or trespassing?

1 Like

Trespassing shtrespassing. :wink: And stealing my own stuff back doesn’t really morally offend me either. That’s why it’s so much easier to play by one’s own rules the second time round: one can incorporate winning the game into the strategy and find role-playing reasons for other things.

No problem. It would technically be possible to search through the saved file, but it would require considerably more effort.

You can always just store it somewhere before you go in.