Hardcore Mode Same Intrusive HUD WTF?!

Someone please tell me the point of having a hardcore mode with a useless compass on the screen… why not remove the god damned compass from the screen along with the dot!!! I just don’t get it. Why not just give all of us the option to remove any and every part of the HUD??? What the fuck? Why!!! It’s like they’re trolling all of the console users who don’t have mod options. I have defended this game since day one. Through all the bugs and silly shit. And since day one I’ve been banging my head against the walls about removing every HUD option from the screen. I don’t need handholding. I don’t need a pop up on the god damned screen telling me what perk I just used. I picked the fucking perk so I got it already. I can’t believe that you would remove all that health and stamina bullshit for hardcore and then leave an ugly useless compass and giant yellow dot on the screen. SMFH :disappointed:

3 Likes

It shows quest markers.

1 Like

the dot is for pin pointing an item to pic up. I also find the dot use full in orientating myself with the horse head when I am in a visually confusing situation.
the compass to avoid straying off your direction, my take on it. Tho I don’t playing HC any time soon.

1 Like

Agree, gamedev. , could you return a player mark on map and a combat mark for sword (please, I am begging you, could you add an option in hardcore menu for such things!?)
Thanks (⊙_◎)

They won’t hear to that. I stopped making requests about HUD options.

The compass is useful for maintaining direction without landmarks. Whether it should be there or not in hardcore mode is debatable (I personally think it should not be there).

The dot is also debatable. it is useful for picking things up but since labels appear when something is available it could be done without. I really don’t use it when riding - I just keep the horses head where I want it.

The question is not have the dot or not, instead the real problem is that the dot actually is annoying and must be changed to a more immersive, decent and organic one, smaller, white and semi-tranaparent which wouldn’t look anymore like an ugly yellow flee shit. In addition to that, there should be an option to hide it completely.

There are lots of ways to accomplish something. KCD already displays an item name flag when the dot is over it. No dot, no problem - use the item name flag to determine that something can be selected. Since the dot is always center screen its not that hard to center the view on the item that you want.

That is just one example but there are others - semi transparent with a nicer icon - as you point out - is another. A moddable UI would allow multiple preferences to be satisfied.

A dot generally is useful, but as already mentioned it needs a complete re-design. They should make it how it’s in “Amnesia: The Dark Descent”. The dot there is never destroying the immersion.