Have you guys seen the map size?!

Yes it is 3x3 or 3x4. However, Vavra pointed out that the apparently “huge” maps in other big rpg’s are similarly sized. They just feel bigger because of what Vavra calls “potato landscape.” Read his blog on it here. It’s a very entertaining read. :wink:

Just for your information, all of Oblivion has a size of around 7.7 x 7.4km, (or 4x3 km according to Dan Vavra, probably based on proper geometry and subtracting ocean). Skyrim’s area is approximately 6.9x5.4km. WoW (after deleting the sea) is approximately 13x10km. The map sizes are deceptive you see… this is all explained (with pictures) in his blog about “potato landscapes.”

6 Likes

That’s a good point, but I’ll add to it by saying to not make it TOO empty. I feel that a game like Fallout: New Vegas is too empty with not enough to see or do, and not enough enemies to encounter. Obviously that’s a very different game, I just wanted to add that in.

Based on what I’ve read in the blog, the map size will be perfect: not too big that it’s empty and tedious, and not too small that everything is crammed into one spot.

Also, it seems like you’ll be able to roam around with encountering enemies every few seconds, which is fantastic.

The map does seem a little small, but if they add enough to the map, size shouldn’t matter. Plus with the additional Acts after Act 1 more maps will be added if I remember correctly.

It’s not size that matters - it’s the density of stuff that happens in the world

5 Likes

I recomend to all of You to read the article Dan Vavra has posted on his blog in June 2012. I think he was thinking about the size of the map quite a lot.
http://www.warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_011&lang=en

5 Likes

Do you really want it to take hours to get from place to place? Map sizes are juggling acts. There should be enough for sandbox gamers to wander around, but people in it for the main campaign shouldn’t be falling asleep holding the move button down to get between missions. This is assuming there’s no quick travel option, of course.

As a next gen user, I don’t see the problem and am in complete agreement with you. More doesn’t always mean better. I’ll take quality over quantity any day ( if quality suffers then I’d have an issue with it.)

Btw - appreciated your rant. :wink:

Hope you’re sarcastic there. Gothic 1 coveerd an Area of about 1.1 km², part 2 about 2.5 km² and part 3 covered about 20 km², which allowed for 3 biomes and each felt pretty large.

I wouldn’t wory about the map being too small, even with horses.

yap, Gothic was very long, every 5 meters a group of monsters and respawn in each new chapter.
Here the developers said that they would not put the bandits at every turn. The question is not about the size of the map, but rather about the hours of gameplay.
Block where I live has 1x1km area, so I can not consider this a big area =)

1 Like

Huge map as in Skyrim with tons of generic content? No thanks. Give me smaller map with interesting and unique locations and quests.

1 Like

As many other people stated in this topic. Map size has been really carefuly thought-through (what a nice word, thoughtthrough :smile:) And there’s is a dedicated blog from Dan about it.

the world of skyrim and just cause 2 feels so empty and mechanical, but i dont think it has much to do with huge map size or density or whatever, its all because of the retarded NPCs who dont respond to your action. You know, when you slayed a dragon in front of the city, nobody gives a ***
I say i dont mind a 20km2 map full of emptiness, as long as you have a teeming town or two like Vizima, where there are plenty of living NPCs and intersting activities to keep you busy, i wouldn’t mind traveling 20 mins just to get to Gran Soren either, its worth the effort.

The developers seem to think people don’t like spending >5mins on travel…well, they are going to be amazed by todays people’s tolerance of long distance travel, i tell you! Just think of DayzSA now, it currently has a 10km*10km huge map, and, well, no vehicle at all, basically you spend 80% of the time hiking…or swimming, but still, people love that game, because it offers so much unique experience that you don’t get in any other games.

And don’t forget about Journey, it becomes repetitive since the first 30 seconds, and it became a goty. there’s also gta5, theres Arma, there’s Shadow of the Colosus. They may seem to be a bit hardcore but i say a realistic medieval game needs a harcore setting, besides people like hardcore games such as dark souls and dayz.

1 Like

Hi there!

Well, I would assume everyone would appreciate a bigger map, provided Warhorse would be able to maintain the same overall quality.

When one takes a stroll down the forest, no two trees are alike. No two rocks look the same. They are elegant variations on the same theme, but still unique and distinctive. That’s partly why Nature is so alluring. It constantly surprises us.

This potent effect is very hard to mimic in a game. So if forced to choose between a bigger yet repetitive map or the current one, which I assume is quite varied, I’d stick with what we already have. But should there be a chance to enlarge the map and still maintain the same attention to detail, then I would be thrilled.

My 2 cents.

2 Likes

I believe Morrowind is a smaller map than Oblivion or Skyrim, yet when playing all three for some reason Morrowind felt larger. I think it comes down to content and environment more than mere size.

1 Like

I believe that it felt larger because there was no quick travel and all the environments were brown and empty.

I’d appreciate a bit of a larger map. The occasional empty expanses do add something to the game, just the feeling that there’s more to explore and that the travelling feel like actual travel.

Bigger would be cool, but not by a lot. Strike a balance on quanity/quality, focusing on the latter is my cup of tea.

1 Like

Map size is perfect…

Seriously?

1 Like

2 hours, a bit less perhaps, at a pace sustainable as an average door-door over 52km over footpaths/fields/green lanes and some small amounts of made road, even in the presence of steep hills (ranging from 11% to 16% in the directions I commonly walk (all of which are not requiring a reduction in pace), and 25% to 40% on the steepest (the latter being around half the standard pace which is around 6.5km/h, across nearly all common surfaces)).

3km/h is really slow walking