Highest graphics level - actually for current hardware?

I just got this game since it is 50% off on Steam - I am learning longsword so a game with fairly realistic sword fighting was really appealing to me. Doesn’t seem like I’ll see that sword fighting for a while but I’m still enjoying myself.

After some googling, though, I can’t find a current answer to this question. I don’t know if I should be spending time looking up how to tweak the graphics running max settings or just put it on the second to highest and spend that time playing. Is their warning that the highest level of graphics for future hardware valid? I’m running a 1080, 6th gen i7, 16gb ram and running off an ssd so it’s not currently the best hardware ever but it can handle maxing out any other game, and based on how the graphics look in this game it seems like I should be able to max it but it isn’t as smooth as it could be.

So after the patches that have come out, for someone just getting the game is it worth trying to run the graphics maxed with my setup or is their disclaimer about future hardware true and I should just wait for when I upgrade (not any time soon) to try to max it all? Thanks for any help - I’m also enjoying reading the subreddit now that I got the game.

I think you can max out.