Historical events in 1403

First of all, I apologize if there is already a topic on this. I searched, but that’s not always a catch-all.

So, I did a very quick Google on the year 1403, and found some interesting events. So, I thought I’d see how many we think the game will feature. I know that the team hasn’t written all of the quests yet, so this is pure speculation and perhaps some hopeful thinking. Some of the events I found are (please note that these come mostly from Wikipedia, an unreliable source at best):

• February 7th: King Henry IV of England marries Joanna of Navarre, the daughter of Charles d’Évreux, King of Navarre.
  • March 12th: As King Martin I of Aragon helps to end the siege by the French of the papal palace in Avignon, Antipope Benedict XIII flees to Aragon.
  • July 23rd: Battle of Shrewsbury fought by Percys against King Henry IV
  • October 7: Battle of Modon: French naval forces under Jean Le Maingre (Marshal Boucicaut) defeat the Republic of Venice at Modon in the Peloponnese.
  • Dates Unknown
  • Jan Hus begins preaching Wycliffite ideas in Bohemia.
  • The world’s first quarantine station is built in Venice to protect against the Black Death.
  • Stefan Lazarević establishes Belgrade as the capital of the Serbian Despotate.

This is by no means a complete listing, and naturally these did not all happen in even the same part of the world as the game, but it could be interesting to see some mention of them, at least.

Also, please do not take my use of Wikipedia as an opening to turn this thread into a troll infested hate pool. I fully understand that when doing academic or professional research, Wikipedia should never be used. However, it was difficult for me to find a list of events (even supposed ones) this complete on other sites (even ones dedicated to history). Had I invested more time and effort, I’m sure I could have done better.

So, bottom line, how much of these, and other events from 1403 and onward do you think will earn mention, or even some gameplay, in KCD? Also, please post relevant events you like that I fail to mention.

PS. No discussing Moors or Jews… it just gets people riled up :wink:

3 Likes

Some stuff which is relevant to the KDC story:

But it is also interesting to know what happened at same time in other parts of europe.

what’s the point of this? most of those facts have nothing to do with the story or setting of the game.

For crying out loud man, do you even read posts before you shoot your replies off?

Did any of these even happen in Bohemian territory? How would they know of it if they didn’t they dont exactly have access to SMS or Twitter feeds!

2 Likes

so you want these things mentioned in the game? why? why not focus on actually depicting things that did happen in the story and setting of the game? do you know this game takes place in a rural part of medieval bohemia where internet and telephones didn’t exist?

I imagine that only travelling merchants or traders would bring the information. But only if it was something very significant. Like you say, it’s not like they have the internet.

However, I don’t think it’s unrealistic or even unlikely that there would be news or talk of other parts of the world, even as early as this game takes place.

Haha but they weren’t cut off from the rest of Europe either. Humans had mouths and ears back then. They didn’t need modern technology to communicate. News still traveled. :smiley:

2 Likes

With the speed that most traders moved (Horse and cart) any new news would be over a few years old by the time they hear it unless it was local news and to be honest that would take precedence. It’s not like the locals of Bohemia have any care whom marries whom in France or England!

you’re a blacksmith’s son, a peasant. you aren’t going to do shit with that information so having it really isn’t much use. i doubt that information is going to be disseminated among common folk either. most likely within diplomats and trading circles.

Yeah I was just about to edit my post saying that I don’t think these things need to be mentioned in the game. :smiley:

Are we only supposed to discuss major parts of the game here? Like full quests and plots? Or can we also wonder what ambient things may also find their way in; like NPC’s making conversation with each other?

You act like I asked why we won’t be seeing the Battle of Shrewsbury, when, in fact, I just want to know if anyone in the game will mention these things? Not necessarily to the player, but just to each other.

@213 Your eagerness to put people down on this entire forum is getting bothersome. To the point that if I could prevent you from replying to topics I create, I would.

I’m pretty sure that NPC idle gossip may very well feature news but I am pretty sure that news of stuff that happened in England will not be a priority. I would think that if there was a warrior from a battle prior to 1403 passing through this area the he may tell his tales in return for a few free drinks and possibly a meal, then yes but I find that news of ‘current’ battles and weddings would not be the talk of the town.

Perhaps something a little earlier than 1403?

Now that’s a very sensible reply. And that’s the sort of thing I was talking about.

Do you suppose you could be strolling through the street with something else on your mind, and overhear a stall vendor and customer discussing some “news”, and it would be something that actually happened in history?

Scenarios like this are what I had in mind when I created the thread. :wink:

Yes of course but you did state the Year and the news.

I would need to peruse Wiki or somewhere to see what happened in the year before 1403 say from 1395 to 1400! I would also imagine that they would need to have relevance to the story for which we have no idea of as yet.

I did. My bad. :blush:

But, I wasn’t fully thinking through my example. However, the actual events were never the key. I was just wondering if we would be hearing any real historical word-of-mouth type news.

Thanks for answering the question, instead of focusing on my erroneous details :wink:

Oh I focused on those first :wink:

Since the game is set in Czechia, I don’t think we will notice much of King Henry IV. But maybe/hopefully there might be some Hussite-related action going on, that would fit geographically.

1 Like