Homosexuality In The Game/Time Period

So here is what I’m thinking, homosexuality was rarely public in this games’ time period. but like MADARAS said it has also been around, no matter if you think that Homosexuality is real or not, mankind has been doing it forever and just like heterosexuals, both have been sleeping together for both mindless sex and deep relational reasons. I think we can have a homosexual character in the game somewhere even more than one, but only through deep trust and conversation would you ever learn about it. If the developer do decide to add relationships I do believe that finding a homosexual partner should be hard, because, well it was back in the day, but possible.

To summarize I don’t mind as long as it doesn’t break the realism, and I believe it is totally possible and realistic for the main character to run across a gay character.

6 Likes

I’m glad to see how the discussion has evolved since I’ve been gone.
I want to address your perception. #213

It would need to be a tactful pursuit by the development team for sure, but your thought that you need both gay or straight options in order to have a homosexual option is not necessarily needed.

There are two ways this can be done the first (and my personal favorite) is being able to choose personality traits for your character at the beginning of the game. This could include heterosexual (man like women) homosexual (man like man) or asexual (a person with no sexual attractions). On top of that I’d like to see traits like honest (you’re unwilling to lie to others or are a bad liar with the bonus effect being people trust you more easily) hydrophobic (afraid of water so swimming can be dangerous and you’re less effective in the rain) with plenty more personality traits a person can choose from. I think this would suit everyone’s needs on this front as well as add more flavor to any character created.

Or the second path you could choose is make it to where you won’t stumble on the options by accident. You might find a peeping tom watching a man bath. You speak to him and he freaks out. You could have options like trying to calm him down. With two of the options being (not in game terms) “I’m gay too(lie)” or “I’m gay too” with that option not being a lie. From there with one of the options out of 6 you could easily declare your character gay and open up dialogue related to that point for the future.

1 Like

I’d just like to add the main reason for most people to view heterosexuality as “the standard” is due to society, not human nature.

We live in a society of compulsory heterosexuality - one’s sexuality is not chosen, but rather forced through society. Heterosexuality is viewed as the natural inclination or obligation by both sexes.

Humans are much more sexual than other species, and history has proven this - bisexuality lies in almost anyone, and history proves this. Greeks and Romans (to an extent) showed us the true nature of human sexuality: A “surprisingly” large amount of humans are bisexual, at least to a degree - while heterosexuality is required for reproduction, humans go beyond the purpose of reproduction when pursuing sex, everyone was doing it with everyone, no matter the gender.

Now the compulsory heterosexuality around 1400 was much stronger than it is today, so open bi- or homosexuality would not have been the smartest thing to do. I still believe it happened behind closed curtains - and much more often than people assume, especially in the church.

So, ultimately, as long as the matter is handled in a delicate and realistic way, go for it.
I don’t really care either way, as I don’t play a game for relationships you can form in it, but if it adds to the immersion of some, go for it.

3 Likes

Ok, so lets stop this discussion about what who prefer. Its a private thing as far as I see it. You know, love between same gender was something so forbidden, something so “devilish” in a minds of medieval people, that they really didnt think about it much. Witches a conjurers was homosexuals of course (in folks tales), but they also slept with animals, devils and such. You cant be simply just homosexuals, you had to be (if you loved man) something more. You had to be in contact with devil himself. Today, many people count pedofilia as something beyond, something tabu. At that time, homosexuality was tabu. So they exist, of course they did, but they didnt accept their diversity, they behave just like normal people, they found wife and had children. Just very few people, mostly nobility, “did” same gender love, others put it aside.
PS: Sorry about my english, its not my native language

1 Like

Agree, Narrentrum was great book. Didnt read two others yet, but I belive it will be as good as first one

Both Gods Warriors and Lux Perpetua are actually better then the first one :wink:

1 Like

Great, looking foward to read it :wink:

don’t agree :wink: , definitely not with the last one

I hope homosexuality makes it into the game. Simply because I have this brilliant idea for a quest in mind. It’s a bit of a lighthearted comedy-of-errors kind of thing. I call it “Sodomites and Adamites”.

While I’m far more on your side than his, the moment you said, “You’re one of those people,” you became one of those people.

3 Likes

I agree with you but I think you may have become flagged by homosexuals here as someone who is intolerant due to maybe how you phrased your post.

Here is fact. There is a homosexual agenda and movement. In fact, there are many movements out there. I hate any movements that push propaganda in any way - especially those for African Americans or homosexuals. They are no longer necessary. We accept them already! Only the few people out there (who are now minorities themselves) still push back or commit “hate crimes” against these people who once were considered minorities themselves.

Don’t let agendas and movements of any kind be part of any game is all I ask. Keep things true to history is all I ask for a game like this - if that includes gay flings in hiding that you might run up against, then so be it.

6 Likes

It’s more like the realization that the person on the other end of the internet is not someone that can be reasoned with, and I assure you I am more than reasonable, but please tell me your interpretation.

I think that we all have enough “homosexual propaganda” in our every day lives and we do not need it a game.
I get that their are same people as we straight guys, however I´m sick of this minority forcing themselves everywhere.
Like poor Ser Loras Tyrel in GOT which was made homosexual just for fulfil gay limit in each TV Show.

1 Like

IE Mass Effect.

I actually enjoy Mass Effect a lot, and while I’m not a “supporter” of gay rights (Just leave everyone alone is more my thoughts) it never bothered me with female Shepard and Liara. The only part that annoyed me was the shuttle pilot being gay, it felt forced and like it was in there to make a political statement.

Keep current politics out of it. If you are going to put homosexuality in the game, it needs to be treated and regarded as it was during that time period or it will ruin the huge sense of immersion this game is going for. Don’t worry about politically correct nonsense, just stick to historical information and all will be well.

1 Like

Homosexuality was not likely prominent back in that time period. Homosexuals were more or less viewed the same as witches, which is where the term “faggot” derived. If I were to guess at how gay men lived in that time period, it would be very exclusively.

Oh, I love these games too. It is these properly shoehorned in parts that bug me.

It is hinted pretty clear in the books. Just sayin…

3 Likes

Seems to me introducing homosexual character to this time period will move accent from the story of a civil war brewing to some sort of sinner sirvival simulator. Is it really worth it? And if there will be no romance options - what difference does being homo- or heterosexual make?
So I’d prefer developers would add varieties to some other oprions. For example, left- or rifht-handed sword wielding could make a real difference in combat.

1 Like

I was listening to rush limbaugh today and a caller called in making a similar point. Why do gay men have to announce they’re gay? Why is it being forced on us everywhere? Why did this football player have to come out publicly? Allow me as a gay man (and politically a conservative for those who care about politics and wondering about the political aspects of my next statement) explain what coming out is all about. Also about the perceptions of gays being everywhere.

First “Coming out the closet” why is it important to do that especially for a football player or public figure. Number 1 reason is because if you don’t and you have a boyfriend and the media or fellow football players find out you are instant headlines your life is on TV your boyfriend’s life is on TV and the football team fires you or alternatively treats you badly because they worry you’re checking out their junk in the showers. (Which being ex-military I can assure you when you’re with your comrades your mind simply doesn’t think like that) so coming out allows you to live your life normally.
Number 2 for people outside of the spotlight. Coming out to friends and family you do so for one you don’t feel like you’re being dishonest with them (especially in a religious household) and also so that you can bring your boyfriend around and not hide him in some secret place away from the rest of your life.

Next why do you perceive them as being everywhere. I’ll give you an example from my current position in life. I work for a large company in the IT field I have many co-workers I know the people I work with directly are all heterosexuals. Why do I know this? Did they tell me they’re heterosexuals. The answer to that is no, but they do tell me about their wife their kids their girlfriend’s their ex-girlfriend’s who they find attractive talking about celebrity females and who they’d like to have intercourse with.

Yup WOW think about it if you aren’t a heterosexual these conversations well…it’s like heterosexuality is being thrown in your face all the time. Now if I were to mention a celebrity I find to be handsome or about going to the park with my boyfriend last week. The same people who talk about their lives all the time would find that offensive and say things like “we have nothing against homosexuals, but stop throwing it in our faces, it’s in the video games, it’s on TV, it’s on the news, it’s probably freaking in the water, why the hell can’t you just shut up or be straight!”

That’s the typical normal reaction from heterosexuals. No matter where you live. You even see it here. I explained the reason for it in the first post. People naturally do not like what is different from their norm. So where some of you think the issue is dead and is over and everyone accepts your existence that couldn’t be further from the truth of it. When I can bring a picture of me and my boyfriend to work and hang it in my cubical then maybe we would have reached some degree of acceptance, but at the moment that isn’t the case.

Also some people think you need to come out to everyone. Personally I’ve worked for this company for 4 years now and no one there knows I’m gay, take that and think about all the stuff I have to hide from them as opposed to what they hide from me (which isn’t much) in order to keep a peaceful workplace.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing your insights! The more this discussion evolves the more I’d like to see a twisting side story with a homosexual character hiding his nature. It’s a great way to test your personal moral as a player.

Btw from my experience mostly male humans have difficulties interacting with male homosexuality. Women not so, if not at all.

3 Likes