Horse/Dog Breeds and Recommendations

Most games do not handle horses in a realistic way and use them just as a mode of transport. I am glad that Warhorse will put in the extra effort to make the horses act like a horse should (sort of like Agro from Shadow of the Colossus).

I would love it if horses also had to be fed and looked after. In Medieval Europe, horses were characterized more by common traits than by ‘breed’. Many types from the period have no modern equivalent and could carry large loads while existing on meager rations. With Warhorse’s attention to detail I hope they will be able to add these ‘types’ within the game and have them fulling the roles they would have in real life.

Warhorses or “chargers” - Used by knights and men-at-arms

Destrier - A well bred and highly trained stallion that was used as a war or tournament horse. They were rare and very expensive.

Courser - A warhorse that was more common than the Destrier and preferred for hard battle as they were light, fast, and strong. They were valuable horses that were also used occasionally for hunting.

Rouncey - An ordinary, all-purpose horse that was used for riding, and sometimes as pack horses, but they could also be trained for war. It was generally used by poorer knights, squires, or man-at-arms for war purposes. A wealthy knight would provide rounceys for his retinue.

There was an increased use after the 12th century of both the horse collar and use of iron horse shoes which allowed horsepower to be directed more efficiently. (Could the blacksmith character make horse shoes?) Oxen teams consisted of eight animals while horse teams needed only four or six, which compensated for the fact that the horses needed to be fed grain on top of pasture, unlike oxen. Horses were more suited to a wheeled plough and could cover more land.

Palfrey - A valued riding horse that was light-weight, amble, and suitable for riding over long distances. It was popular with nobles, ladies, and highly ranked knights for travel, hunting and ceremonial use.

Pack horse (Sumpter) - Common riding horse, often called “hackneys”, could be used as pack horsess and carried equipment and belongings.

Draught horse (Affrus or stott) - A smaller and cheaper horse than those used for pulling carts. Best suited to ploughing and harrowing.

Dogs

Dogs were also classified by function during the period, but many or some variant still exists today. They were used alongside horses and the hawk or falcon, while hunting with nobles, dogs served as a reliable guard, shepherds but also as a favorite pet of nuns in medieval monasteries. The hounds would have been kept in a kennel.

Many early sheepdogs were simply called ‘Shepherd’s Hound’ and there were two types described: The first as necessary and profitable for avoiding any harm and inconveniences that could befall men and livestock, by means of wild beasts. The second as a dog that was not vast and big, but of a moderate stature and growth. It acted as a protector against the snares and attempts of mischievous men. Both herded sheep.

Levrier or Greyhound: Valued first and foremost for its speed, but also for its ability to attack and take down the game. They had low stamina and were not released before the quarry was in sight. They were valued for their docile temper at home, and often allowed inside as pets. They were worth more than a serf (an agricultural laborer).

Alaunt or Alant (now extinct): They were large, short coated dogs, and more robust than the greyhound making them ideal for larger game, such as bears or boars. They were considered a reckless animal and had been known to attack domestic animals or even its owner. The Alaunt de Bucherie is the progenitor of the mastiff and bull breeds.

Bandogge (Mastiff): An even more rugged dog also used for larger game, though it was mostly considered useful as a guard-dog. “Bandogge” is possibly derived from “bondage” or “bound”. As is, “Chained by day, released by night”.

Rache: It was a small scent hound used in a pack to run down and kill game, or bring it to bay.

Limer or Lyam Hound, and later known as Bloodhound: A hound handled on a leash to trace the animal from its footprints or droppings to where it was browsing or lying up.

Terrier: Small, wiry, very active and fearless dog. Used to control rats, rabbits, foxes, and badgers.

Harrier: A medium-sized dog used for hunting hares by trailing them.

Spaniel, Barbet, or Water Dog: They were used to flush game out of denser brush and crept forward and pointed their game. Others sprang pheasants and partridges for hunting with falcons, and rabbits or were used to retrieve water fowl shot down with arrows.

Kennet (possibly Beagle): A small dog used for small game.

Bohemian Shepherd: A dog breed used from 13th century on Czech / German borders. The Bohemian shepherd may be the ancestor of the German shepherd. They were sheepdogs as well as a guard dog for soldiers/border guard. They are agile, easy to train, and are used as rescue dogs and companions for handicapped people today.

Turnspit/Turnespete (Extinct): It is also known as the Kitchen Dog, the Cooking Dog, the Underdog, and the Vernepator. This was a short-legged, long-bodied dog bred to run on a wheel, called a turnspit or dog wheel, for the purpose of turning meat. Due to the strenuous nature of the work, a pair of dogs would often be worked in shifts. Their colour is generally a dusky grey spotted with black or entirely black with the under parts whitish. Turnspits were described as ugly dogs with a suspicious, unhappy look about them. They were generally considered to be a lowly and common dog. Possibly the ancestor of the Welsh Corgi, but it is almost impossible to be certain.

8 Likes

Good ideas. Have they said anything about your recommendations?

Not that I know of, but maybe some of it will be answered at E3.

Nice post mate, I like the way you’ve presented what is really some detailed information in a really straightforward and easily accessible manner. I for one appreciate this, as it’s provided me with a quick and concise understanding of the types of breeds and their use around the period. :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. I really appreciate it! Although I should mention that during the time period there weren’t really ‘breeds’, but types. The horses were recognized more by their dimensions/builds. A specific ‘type’ may vary widely in behavior, color, and overall look.

Surely the breeding was controlled, in a similar fashion to modern stud farms; in order to guarantee the breed quality and stock of the offspring? …That’s what I’d assumed anyways.

At least for the top tier types of war / tournament horses.

But yea I get your meaning. I guess the pedigree wasn’t something that survived the middle ages, and the terms you describe were more suggestive of physical traits or purpose as opposed to a particular lineage or bloodline.

They were bred for a purpose or task, but there weren’t ‘breeds’. They were not selectively bred for a specific color or to conform to a ‘breed standard’ like many organizations have set. This led to horses of varying apperances, but generally having the ‘traits’ or body dimensions required for the job they were to perform.

2 Likes