How to help... drawing the sword? Finding a bow? Finding the first charactor?

So I was playing for awhile, and I managed to get to the town with the sword fighting area and fought, but everyone still tells me that whatever his name is in in charge and is IN THE CAMP. I’ve talked to everyone, this man does not exist. One of my map icon shields goes to a guy that is sitting by the sword camp, and the only interaction I can get from him is fight for practice, bet and thats it. I dont want to bet yet because I can’t seem to do very well fighting yet and I dont want to run out of money from the get go dying.

Also, at some point not noing it would happen, some drunk guy by the bar wanted to fight me with an axe. I have 2 swords and a shield, but I cant figure out how to draw it. Inventory menu isnt clear, Ive seemd to equip it,I’ve tried use… nothing. Maybe a scroll menu ARMA style would be great choice for this complex game? Anyway also, please devs PAUSE THE GAME when you go to inv. or map so we can figure out what the hell is going on. Also, how do you disengage?! I just ran around and he kept comming. Got on the horse, he still kept comming. I died looking for the controls to draw the bloody sword lol.

Same as above, how the hell do you use the torch? I have it, cant “draw” to use it. Night time is WAY to dark, there needs to be SOME moonlight. Even on a moonless night a human being can see far more then this…

Other then that only thing I noticed glitch wise is that AI movement and movement around objects while on horseback is horrendous. AI gets stuck on everything and walks in circles, and while on horseback most of the time turning near an object either glitches in a shuddering motion until you get around it or you ghost through the object, even tents.

Stop re centering my view while on horseback. if i want to look left, let me stay there…??? very annoying. I havent tried using TrackIR yet with this game but I’m betting its impossible so far even if it works if you know what i mean.

Game might have potential… really wish they had a free demo rather then a full paid demo, I wasn’t expecting the combat to feel so scripted choice and click. I know it wasnt going to be like Chivarly combat, but I was kinda hoping it would be far more free feeling and not just time based button clicking.

also the combat tutorial is utterly confusing… sometiems it does things by itself… and i cant seem to do any combos. if i click, it ALWAYS does 1 move, and whatever direction was chosing even if i move it around… what? and counter stricking after a parry, it does it by itself 1/5 - 1/10 times, clicking attack doesnt seem to make it happen… what? please make a video for this, the tutorial is horrible.

Press the run key.

Do that before you fight. It’s 1 for sword/torch, and 2 for bow.

There’s many videos on YouTube of people being bad at the sword fighting. I suggest you not bother, and just fight Cumans out in the world. It’s much easier.

Hit them before they hit you. Disengage and move back until you regenerate stamina. Repeat as needed. Keep moving so you don’t get hit by arrows. That’s it. You can get fancy later after you learn the basics.

As for where to get a bow, you can buy one in the starting town, steal one from a chest, or pay the iron price, and loot one from a fallen enemy.

This game doesn’t hold your hand. That’s part of the appeal.

1 Like

Agreed. Supposedly we can shoot and swing our sword, but not lock on, from horseback in the release version, so I expect that gets fixed.

This is Robard, the commander of the camp. He is often leaning up against the fence where you learn to fight. If he won’t talk to you, start a new game.

There isn’t much to talk to him about until you have progressed the main quest though.

Once you are ready to give him some information he should be available to talk to though, and some combinations of side quests can break this option (in which case restart and only do the main questline). At a minimum you need to know who and (roughly) where to find the people you are hunting (Reeky is only an information source and leads to the next people, but you can just hunt down the target without going via his location).

Thank you, I can now draw a sword and use the torch! (very cool lighting effects btw) and I ended up starting 3 other quests, the guy with the runs, a missing sword and I forgot the third and uncovered a bunch more of the map… alas the save didnt save for some reason and when i went to play again later after work it reverted back to my first save long before any of the other stuff :-/