Hussite Revolution History: Jean Hus & Chapel missing!

https://www.ncronline.org/news/german-shepherd-bids-farewell-wolf-winter

Vlk has also been an ardent champion of Christian unity. His breakthrough success on that front came in 1999, when Vlk was instrumental in crafting an apology by John Paul II for the “cruel death” of the famed medieval Czech reformer Jan Hus. Burned at the stake as a heretic in 1415 during the Council of Constance, Hus is considered a forerunner of the Protestant Reformation as well as a father of the Czech nation. In his 1999 speech, John Paul expressed “deep sorrow” for Hus’ death and praised his “moral courage.”

Hello! I got interested in Kingdom come come because of its History and thought i just add these things here. I know the developer will know this history but it would have been nice to add it to the game! But i know it be releasing soon so at least we can read it here why the war broke out in the first place! And what took place later! :cry:

I took time to write all this and hope it helps improve the game and if not history lesson for all those curious about why the war took place! I certainly did learn from it and would go into reading more so thanks Warhorse studio for bringing this to the public attention!

The story should let you decided war with Protestant or Catholic or diplomatic plan or it could be change to some other thing then religion? Like Power hungry government vs farmers?

Or even let the player decided how everything should play out whether it be history or not just like in Deus ex mankind divided. Shape the History of Bohemia and decided who dies and who lives. Perhaps Hus could get rescued from execution and so you write a different history? Why does it have to be exactly like reality?

Wouldn’t this story be far more exciting with so much more overlay and depth then having two rulers being at war and seeing how you can play a part in it? I am thinking more connection more leads and these leads can change as describe below. Most of all if it was with the Catholics and the Protestant as history shows it then it would be very interesting to let players decided how it should end base on all actions and choices in the start? War, diplomacy or a bit of both?

Choices & consequences
http://www.examiner.com/article/deus-ex-mankind-divided-conspiracy-choice-and-consequence

This is not about hate to catholics or protestant who ever you side for what they done but boy if you live through that time there would be nothing but hate. It would be nice if a diplomatic solution could be found between the catholic and the protestant! Or else i wonder how the war in the game would be accurate with history?

One corrections on quote in game: Being a Christian is not about doing unto others. :slight_smile:
I know its a game and not to teach religious idea but its wanting to be historic so i hope the game could show this?

So why was there a war?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussite_Wars

The Hussite Wars, also called the Bohemian Wars or the Hussite Revolution, were fought between the Hussites (the followers of Bohemian priest and reformer Jan Hus) and various monarchs who sought to enforce the authority of the Roman Catholic Church against the Hussites, and also between Hussite factions. These wars lasted from 1419 to circa 1434.

In 1414, Sigismund of Hungary convened the Council of Constance to end the Schism and resolve other religious controversies.

Hus went to the Council, under a safe-conduct from Sigismund, but was imprisoned, tried, and executed on 6 July 1415. The knights and nobles of Bohemia and Moravia, who were in favour of church reform, sent the protestatio Bohemorum to the Council of Constance on 2 September 1415, which condemned the execution of Hus in the strongest language. This angered Sigismund, who was “King of the Romans” (head of the Holy Roman Empire, though not yet Emperor), and brother of King Wenceslaus of Bohemia. He had been persuaded by the Council that Hus was a heretic. He sent threatening letters to Bohemia declaring that he would shortly drown all Wycliffites and Hussites, greatly incensing the people.

Under the influence of Sigismund, Wenceslaus endeavoured to stem the Hussite movement.

Bohemia was for a time free from foreign intervention, but internal discord again broke out, caused partly by theological strife and partly by the ambition of agitators. On 9 March 1422, Jan Želivský was arrested by the town council of Prague and beheaded. There were troubles at Tábor also, where a more radical party opposed Žižka’s authority.

The castles of Vyšehrad and Hradčany now capitulated, and shortly afterwards almost all Bohemia fell into the hands of the Hussites.

The Hussites initially campaigned defensively, but after 1427 they assumed the offensive. Apart from their religious aims, they fought for the national interests of the Czechs. The moderate and radical parties were united, and they not only repelled the attacks of the army of crusaders but crossed the borders into neighboring countries. On March 23, 1430, Joan of Arc dictated a letter that threatened to lead a crusading army against the Hussites unless they returned to the Catholic faith, but her capture by English and Burgundian troops two months later would keep her from carrying out this threat.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Reformation
After the battle of Lipany in 1434, in which the moderate Hussites united with Roman Catholics defeated the radical Hussites,a compromise with the Roman Church and the Emperor and crowned Bohemian King Sigismund could have been realized. The compromise led to reconciliation of the Bohemian reformed main stream with the Roman Church.

Who were the Hussites?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussites
The Hussites (Czech: Husité or Kališníci; “Chalice People”) were a Christian movement in the Kingdom of Bohemia following the teachings of Czech reformer Jan Hus (c. 1369–1415), who became the best-known representative of the Bohemian Reformation and one of the forerunners of the Protestant Reformation. This predominantly religious movement was propelled by social issues and strengthened Czech national awareness.

Who was Jan Hus?

http://www.museeprotestant.org/en/notice/protestantism-in-the-republic-of-czechoslovakia/
Jean Hus was born into a poor farming family and studied theology at Prague University. He became Rector of the University and chaplain to the Court. When he preached in Czech at the Bethlehem Chapel in Prague, he caused a considerable stir amongst the local population. In 1390, he began to read texts written by the Englishman John Wycliffe (1324-1384), (who had been excommunicated for heresy by Pope Gregory XII), because he had already begun to criticize the wealth of the Church in England. Jean Hus became an avid reader of Wycliffe’s works and wrote a commentary on them, concerning himself mainly with delivering nothing but the simple message of the Gospel which was against social oppression, corruption and the inordinate power of the Church. As a true disciple of Wycliffe, he considered the Bible to be the supreme spiritual authority which enabled him to see the corruption in the Roman Catholic Church for what it was : the cult of the saints, transubstantiation, and before long indulgences. Although he was excommunicated in 1410, he was able to remain in Prague under the protection of King Wenceslas IV.

When indulgences were sold in Bohemia in order to finance a war between the Pope in Pisa and the King of Hungary, Jean Hus protested. He had to break off relations with the king and leave Prague to take refuge in southern Bohemia. In 1414, he went to the Council of Constance which had been held to try and put an end to the Great Schism. Here, he defended his point of view and put forward his ideas for reforming the Church. Indeed, the Emperor Sigismund Ist (1410-1443) had granted him safe conduct to guarantee his safety. However, when he reached Constance he was arrested and imprisoned. He was ordered to retract but refused. He was accused of heresy and burned at the stake on 6th July 1415.

So I hope Hus is a main character of the game because he was a leading figure!

Sigismund & Wenceslas

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Sigismund-Holy-Roman-emperor
Sigismund’s expansionist policy led him to intervene in the struggles between his half brother, the German king Wenceslas, who was also king of Bohemia (as Wenceslas IV), and the Bohemian nobility. After changing sides several times, Sigismund made peace with his brother in 1396 at the Battle of Nicopolis and was appointed vicar general of Germany

On the death of Wenceslas in 1419, Sigismund inherited the Bohemian crown, but the series of wars fought against the Hussites during the decade of the 1420s, most of which were military disasters for the king’s party, delayed his coronation.

It would have been nice if you could decided this choice in the game! :smile:

Sentence against John Hus

Scroll down to read his condenmation & death sentence at the stake
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Councils/ecum16.htm

Also would have been exciting if players can decide this in the game and different action taken by player that could prevent Hus from being condemn. Or Player could decided to find Hus and bring him to be condemn. Perhaps that will make follower stop the uprising? Or would it increase it? Players can decided and their action will determine this.

Summary of Jean Hus PDF

Interesting facts about the translation of the Bible

The complete translation of the Bible into Czech in the mid-14th century also contributed to the origin of the Bohemian Reformation. After French and Italian the Czech language became the third modern European language in which the whole Bible was translated.

I hope the Bethlehem Chapel is in the game!

http://www.bethlehemchapel.eu/en/
Bethlehem Chapel is a place that brings to mind the personality of Hus and the Hussite period of Czech history and today is a “NATIONAL CULTURAL MONUMENT”.

Thank you for reading all this as I enjoyed posting all this! :wink: And thank again to the team for bringing this to the public. I hope these things can enter the game and i think would make such an exciting story line with consequences and choices!

Was the game meant to be historically accurate?
Because they would be lots of spiritual issue to discuss if it did wanted to portray it as accurately as possible. And perhaps it was only just the history of the two rulers and given fake history so its easier to understand in the game.

Cause we could be asking were the catholics right using their power to kill people? the Answer is no and the protestant also killed people so we are all guilty in one way or the other. Even the history of the crusaders was wrong so there is an example of believing in the wrong values. So that is something for players to understand.

So sometimes its easier to leave out religion and have something else that the Medieval kingdom can struggle and fight over like we see in the movies? Robin Hood? :slight_smile:

But I did learn a little about the depressing history of Bohemia which is good cause we need to know these things.

2 Likes

wow, thats a lot of stuff to read :slight_smile: Im sure many people appreciate your involvement in bringing us history closer, i certaiinly do! Thx

1 Like

My eyes are tired now from spending hours copying and pasting the information but I hope I did not over do it on the history as there is more to read!!! :sweat:

Thank you that you like it Phaidon! But I suppose I over did it being too zealous about the history to get it as accurate as possible. As I realize its just a game and that it was not meant to have everything 100% accurate! However i think it would still be very educational as not many of us here understand the revolution between the Catholics and the Protestant. If you have origins in europe perhaps you could look up if you can trace your family back to those times? And see where you came and what side your ancestor took and why?

I think the team are czech so it could inspired them to search the History archives and find out where they fit into all this complex history? It could shock them as I have seen on documentaries when celebrities find out their past ancestor history.

But thank you for kind comments and its nice to know you like to learn history! WOW I don’t meet alot of gamer who love History and get excited about it too! It is more of…too long! This is a game! Not a History lesson! So thank you! :smile:

Jan Hus was a definite political character in the early C15th but the KCD (Act 1) is set in 1403, well before his excommunication in 1410 and the hussite wars of 1419-1434.

Later Acts are to take place in Prague and elsewhere, and will more likely include the major players of the time.

Including Jan Hus in rural Bohemia in 1403 would make relatively little sense tbh.

5 Likes

Did you read anything about the game before posting?

Here is the playlist for all the video updates, if you go back to the first made it explains the history of the game and how historical accuracy (down to restoring paintings) is one the main goals.

WH has a historian as apart of thier team so you may be surprised to find how much detail the want to history.

As @Lieste posted this game takes place in 1403 and has a focus around the conflict between Sigismund & Wenceslas and the events leading up to the Hussite wars.

Welcome home, that’s all this place is!

3 Likes

Nice :smile:

2 Likes

Hus is one of my all-time heroes. I love what he stood for and he paved for the way for guys like Martin Luther.

1 Like

PLEASE HAVE THE HUSSITE WAR.
And I did read a little and thought it was about the Hussite war that will occur in the game. :slight_smile: So I just thought it be good to add more about it because i have not heard about these things.

But I did not know the video existed because i am a late comer and do not know how far they want to take the history of the Hussite war. As they did say they want to introduce players to these events that took place so Hus would need to be included to get the history correct.

Or perhaps I missed something about the conflict between Sigismund & Wenceslas? Have any sources they were in a civil war which did not include anything about the Hussite war? And if it wasn’t about it perhaps it can be good to include the Hussite war later on in the Act as it can be very interesting!

However the developer do not need to make it 100% accurately so its okay if they make things up. :slight_smile:

And with Hus facing death at the stake he still was doing things around that time and again i thought the game was all about leading up to the Hussite wars? So starting from 1403 would go all the way to the end of the war in the game? Why wouldn’t you want to play that out in the game and make choices for yourself to determine history in the game? Wouldn’t that just be more exciting getting involved in the Hussite war then just for it to end with Sig and Wens? Just reading about the Hussite war can lead to some very exciting game play because its a major historical event! So how can the developer not include this in the acts? We all know its a bigger war then with Sig And Wencs and so much more things you can add. So I hope it will be in the game and that player can choose to side with catholics, Protestant or bit of both or what every the player decided! Why can’t it be like that? :slight_smile:

My home is not in Bohemia i came a long way to visit but thanks for the friendly welcome! :slight_smile:

I put likes on all your post! :slight_smile:

This is the interview of why i got excited?

Kingdom Come is an intriguing prospect, and it’s not something we see much, certainly on console. Where did the idea come from, is that medieval period a time that interests you personally?
I would call myself a patriot. I love Czech history and the landscape, and rarely do you see its story told in video games. It’s this particular landscape with its history that shaped and influenced Europe drastically. In Kingdom Come: Deliverance we are talking about the Civil War [Hussite Wars] in 15th century Europe that raged in the Holy Roman Empire. Czech Republic or Bohemia back then was the main country of the HRE and ruled from Prague. We want to introduce the players to this extremely interesting, bloody, and intriguing part of European history. A great advantage is that our Studio is located in Prague, so we can actually visit all the locations that we show in the game.

How accurate is the game world to medieval Bohemia? Have you been doing a lot of exploring and research yourself to recreate the castles?

We are studying medieval manuscripts, working closely together with universities, museums and historians and talking to real swordfighters who mastered 15th century swordsmanship. The region Kingdom Come: Deliverance is taking place is called Sazava. It’s approximately 50km south of Prague so our team has had chance to visit those castles, churches, landscapes and deep forests. We are talking to locals and we take as many reference pictures as possible to use in bringing our world to life. In the end it’s not just a game. We actually want to show how 15th century life looked like. What people talked about, what they feared, how did daily life look and such.

So if you found the right person you would hear about Hus and the conflict that will happen later on if you speak to enough NPC! Is what I would like to find out in the game! To find Hus and go on a detective work to help or to caputure so you give option to players. You can sit in to hear what he has to say and just connect the dots! It would be like a reward finding out where he is? Because it will be hard as you need to gain confidence so NPC will reveal his location or bring him to meet him!

Isn’t that something exciting you like to see & do?
I don’t think there are quest where you can earn such reputation but I hope there will!

2 Likes

Is Talmberg too small to have a church? I have been wandering around and haven’t found one yet…if there isn’t a monastery, who’s making the beer?

There is a monastery pretty close by actually, but you have to glitch out of the map to get there. I recommend doing so because it is quite impressive. You’ll have to find a foresty area along the fence and ride your horse against it at full gallop. It might take a few tries but Henry should eventually fall of his horse and slide out of the playable area. The monastery is not hard to find, (it’s just south of Samposh)

2 Likes

Here lemme just make a necro Hyperlink

BETA: World behind the Great Invisible Wall Spoiler allert

1 Like

I hate you, i spent about 20 minutes searching for that thread before i posted about it. :smile:

2 Likes

Its them good ole Moderator skills. I still have a host of resources to find old buried and forgotten treasures.

So many many future memes.

3 Likes

Jan Hus started preeching his doctrine in 1402 in Betlémská kaple. So, we we be able to visit Pražské Město in game?
P.S. Разработчики, привет из Москвы!

Game takes place in 1403. Hussite wars started in 1419.

A decade or so isn’t such a long time.