I want to create MY OWN CHARACTER

you’re the master of a straw man argument. The highest stretch goal I’ve seen is 1,2m in sales. haven’t seen outsell Skyrim as a corporate goal. hell, the whole premise of the company was to market a game that they wanted to see and play even though others judged it not to be marketable

iow, your projecting. you and I share a good number of ideas (esp. sandboxing in parallel or after main quest) we’d like to see in KCD. those unfortunately aren’t necessarily shared by Daniel and WH.

you are right; mods are important for product longevity. v1.3 is supposed to start some level of mod support. more is yet to be done. WH dev themselves said assets were developed with consoles in mind. hope WH views that as a value to be tapped and works on enabling/porting mods to consoles. Andrewcx and others have created good-great (FO4) console mods using in game assets only

What absolute nonsense. It never fails to make me laugh when gamers think they understand how the games industry works and how developers think.

2 Likes

If what you say is true, then KCD is really a prototype aka Science fair project

In which case, the devs shouldn’t have marketed this game as a AAA title. They should’ve been more transparent and released it for what it truly is post update 1.3.1 i.e. an early access games

Like this over priced $50 bin release

Or this $40 bin release

Or this $15 bin release

Less buyer remorse all around IMO

I’m not proposing to. I’m speculating based on gaming trends.

The devs clearly have a strategy for where they’re taking KCD.

Still remains if the player base will be receptive enough to follow.

Which won’t be the case if KCD continues loosing momentum from player interest and becomes a lemon.

That’s something only fate can tell.

No, not a prototype or science fair project (pretty condescending opinion) but a large, complicated product for a limited audience. 1mil (attained goal, far better than many expected) is still not on par with FO4 or Skyrim numbers

Other users have pointed out that Skyrim is unplayable for them without an unofficial patch. FO4 still has PS4 save file issues. Only some +2 yrs after release was I able to travel in Cambridge (scene of a number of main quest missions) without fatal CE (Sony) crashes or <10 FPS.
Accordingly, your gripes are disproportionate

2 Likes

They never really marketed the game as AAA. Literally their very first public announcement with the kickstarter was “we know this game won’t have mass appeal, but are trying to see if there’s enough interest to get it made anyways”

This game was never intended to be a blockbuster seller. It was always supposed to be a niche game made for and by a minority of gamers who haven’t seen a game like this in years and have been wanting someone to make it. In my case I backed it, in Daniel Vavra’s case… He made it.

I’m very happy with the game and hope they iron out all the bugs so they can release part 2 in a more stable condition. I also hope they keep their focus on making they game they want and DO NOT listen to the masses and become like most other game developers, designing their games to the lowest common denominator.

Leave it to the modders to change the game to how they want it.

3 Likes

First off, Kingdom Come: Deliverance was never marketed as a AAA title. They’ve been very clear from the beginning that it’s a kickstarter with one wealthy independent donor. Their final budget was somewhere between $3-5 million when Skyrim’s base game by Bethesda was about $85 million. With a considerably larger development team.

Okay, would you mind pointing out any other RPG that is out, without any mods whatsoever, as a base game, that is closer to realistic in combat techniques, social structure, as well as historical events that really did happen during the events of the game?

I think you mean “the modders” had to add. The realism you taut has nothing to do with the base game that was developed. Heck, I could use a bow without issue in Skyrim without much practice and skill only counts in how much damage and what type of bow I can use, things like strength needed for the draw of the bow and agility not taken into account. You need a mod to deal with weather affecting the dovahkin or to even add the need to eat or sleep. These things weren’t included in the game and Bethesda never developed them.

The whole point of a mod is that the gaming community sees an alternative they would like in the game, or to make up for real or perceived fault with the base game itself and fundamentally alter it to become the game they want it to be and not the game it is.

That is, in essence, what a mod is.

It’s disingenuous to say Skyrim and Bethesda added these features if modders had to make them.

Every feature that has to be modded into Skyrim is a feature that isn’t in the game. Which is why I said if you want to compare Skyrim to KCD, remove all mods and compare base game to base game.

Only old fashioned games made in the late 80’s and early 90’s that were RPGs had all these features. KCD has sleep, food, a buff if Henry goes to wench and, in your words, fulfill those needs, gets dirty, has to wash if he wants to make a good impression, his health doesn’t regenerate and needs a physician or recover slowly in bed when badly injured, often with bandages when he’s bleeding, and can’t pause in the middle of battle to take care of his wounds.

KCD has more realism in its base, bugged game before patching than Skyrim, Witcher, Batman Arkham games, Oblivion, the Fable series, or any other modern RPG.

Every other game I mentioned needs mods to make them more realistic.

So, unless you can give me an example of a modern role playing game that has the same attention to detail and realism that KCD has without any mods whatsoever, then this argument may hold water.

Also, if you want to see how much attention to detail Warhorse had for this game, go to Google Earth and look at Talmberg, Rattay, Sassau, and you’ll see, minus a few modern adjustments like paved roads, that the entire game is based on the actual geography of the area. The road to Talmberg Castle is exactly the same. The bridge Henry passes over on his flight from Skalitz to Talmberg is there. The roads are nearly identical. The forests are the same.

I respect your opinions on games, and agree with many of them, but comparing a heavily modded Skyrim to the base game of KCD in terms of realism is like comparing apples to oranges.

Fact is, if you need mods, not made by the developer, to make a game more like a “realistic simulator,” and outright ignore the base game as it was designed and released, the entire arguments premise is no longer valid.

3 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. The game has been a source of forced controversy since before it was even released, mainly by gaming journalists who try to portray the game as something that it is not, or, like Polygon, were desperate to try and come up with excuses to explain why they didn’t want to cover and review the game based entirely on political differences with Vavra.

It actually helped convince me to buy the game.

1 Like

puh you all have to much time haha. very interesstimg what you have written. i just want to agree with the people who compare it to skyrim where you could do what you want with the right mod and for me kcd is the new skyrim. somehow a better skyrim. that why i like to have a real charactor editor somehow in the game and opened that topic

God almighty. The only way I could read through one of this guys text walls is to imagine Stephen Hawking reading it to me.

To be fair, Polygon is the site with the biggest overlap between “number of people who, for some incomprehensible reason, consider it to be a quality gaming site” and “distance that its head is stuck up its own arse,” so them trying to come up w/ some BS to whine about is pretty much par for the course. They’re been on my “utterly insufferable” list for a good five or so years. Just like (pre-mass-firing) Cracked, I only go to amaze myself at how consistently self-important they are.

They’re quantifiably terrible.

I too have considered a negative review/preview from Polygon as a +1 in the “reasons to consider buying” column for games before and I’ve never been steered wrong by that notion.

That aside… the amount of friggin entitlement in this thread disgusts me. Gamers, as a whole, have EARNED the reputation for being one of the most pathetic and immature market groups around. All my brain is capable of translating from this thread is “But it’s not EXACTLY what I wanted it to be, the developers need to CHANGE EVERYTHING to SUIT ME and MY DESIRES!!! Life is so unfair!!!”

The guy says “A 5th gen game shouldn’t have to require future mods to bring the game into alignment with reality.” Let me translate “I shouldn’t have to mod something to make it exactly what I want it to be. The developers should cater to my every whim and desire.” There… fixed it…

It truly boggles my mind. It’s like going to see the new Tomb Raider movie and complaining that there aren’t Muppet Babies in it. “I respect your opinions on games, and agree with many of them, but comparing a heavily modded Skyrim to the base game of KCD in terms of realism is like comparing apples to oranges.” <— I’d say it’s like comparing apples to carburetors. At least apples and oranges are both fruits.

And then Timordei pounded out his keyboard and the following came out - “yea i played skyrim and dont tell me always thats this is not that sort of game it is exactly the kind of game where i like to create my own character. and yes i am sure there will be a mod out a soons as we get finally real mod tools. for me kcd is like skyrim 2 without fantasy aspects”

First of all… English dude. I know you don’t respect the developers, the community, or the game… but at least have enough respect for yourself to make yourself NOT look like a complete dolt incapable of basic communication. Second… you literally proved yourself wrong. I… I can’t comprehend how you don’t understand that you just listed the things missing with this game and then claimed it’s the exact same kind of game. Or do you mean to say that all games that have characters should have character customization? Are you one of those people who think that because there’s one similarity between two groups that the two groups should be completely identical in all aspects?

Yes, KCD is, in many ways, like Skyrim but w/out fantasy. It’s also Skyrim but in the real world. It’s also Skyrim but with an incredibly detailed and scripted storyline. It’s also Skyrim but but with incredible attention to detail. It’s also Skyrim but you have to eat, drink, and sleep. It’s also Skyrim but it has NPC’s with actual personalities. It’s also Skyrim but you’re just a peasant instead of The Chosen One. It’s also Skyrim but without the adventure aspects. The list of differences is incredibly long.

In other words…

It’s NOT that type of game. There are many, many, many, many, many, many of that type of game. There aren’t exactly that many KC:D’s running around out there. PLEASE stop demanding that all games be exactly what you want them to be. PLEASE start learning to determine ahead of time if the game they’re offering is what you want to buy and play.

There’s plenty of perfectly legitimate complaints to be had with this overall superb game, but yet people insist on crap like this. /sigh…

4 Likes

You should sell a T-shirt with that quote displaced as a Venn Diagram, and you’d have enough to retire on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love you too :slight_smile:

For the moment we hope for this game to work and you ask for what?! Anyway, there are mods for your problem, just google it.

On pc there are quite a few mods to change Henry’s face, you can even make him look like Radzig or Robard lol. On console, they have to work with console makers to allow mods.

As for mod tools, they have said those will take time. they changed a ton of the engine’s code, so they have to work with CryEngine, to work out the copy write and such. It is not something they can just release.

@Sir_yonderTheGreat
your Apr 15 long post: :clap::+1::raised_hands:
well said.

I would… If I had it on pc and not xbox