Ideas for Alpha 0.4

So with Alpha 0.3 on its way with lockpicking and thievery, this post is meant to convey ideas on what should be in Alpha 0.4

I’m thinking swordfighting and smithing, with a special quest line developed from it.

The Quest

Of course you start in the village, but now there is an added NPC: a knight from the (good) king’s army. Talking to him gives you, like the archery quest, a sword and both of you spar. However…

The Rivalry

The knight and the archer dislike the other, and once you complete either of their quests, you can talk to them and it’ll start a ‘‘favor’’ quest.

Knight: Destroy the archer’s bow.

This quest line ends with: Approval from the knight but enmity from the archer, the merchant now sells halfplate, a jupon/gambeson, a pigfaced bassinet and guantlets on top of his wares already. The Blacksmith becomes friendly and will either 1) forge a blade to your specifications (Dagger, short sword, long, bastard or two handed) OR 2) engrave your name into the blades metal.

Archer: Break the knight’s blade.

This quest line ends with: Approval from the archer but enmity from the knight, the merchant now sells an archers sallet, leather gloves, leather boots, jacklinks and tassets on top of his wares already. The Blacksmith disapproves of your actions and will charge you more for any service you ask for (this will be negated if you completed the Hammer Quest)

Village Mayor: Get rid of them both.

The peasants don’t like having the two NPCs around as they are rude and demanding, thinking themselves better than the peasants. Thus the village mayor asks you to get rid of them, one way or another.

This quest line ends with: Higher reputation then the two beforehand, the Merchant offers a discount and three new hoods, two doublets, boots, a kettle helmet, a dagger, a bow and a sword on top of wares his wares already. The Blacksmith remains neutral in the matter.

Feel free to give your own ideas on what Aplha 0.4 should have.

1 Like

i actually really like this idea. and going off the 3rd quest (get rid of them both), you could do it in multiple ways. for instance:

Convince knight archer broke your sword and other bad stuff. Knight kills archer. The Mayor calls for knights execution, knight flees. this wouldn’t gain you reputation cuz no one knows you orchestrated it, but it would level up your speechcraft; plus you could then rob each of their houses while this is going on, thus improving thieving skills and gaining items that you suggested might go to the merchant.

Break knights sword and convince blacksmith to not help forge new sword.
Similar in that you’ll get rid of knight (he’ll seek a blacksmith elsewhere) but blacksmith is now kinder to you, merchant could gain new items, and your speechcraft once again can be improved.

Convince archer to assassinate knight and then archer flees when you tell Mayor what he did
Super back stabby and similar to the first suggestion, but with archer. this one would have similar consequences as my first idea, but then you’d also gain favor with Mayor/town and items from merchant, while also being able to rob the archer & knights homes in the confusion. it would have the bad-side of you lose all favor with the archer and he’ll have a personal vendetta against you. thus potentially causing a future encounter with bandits (as he’s likely to join a bandit party after being dishonored)

i love your ideas though!! hope something like this makes it into the final game at least, even if we don’t see it in any of the alphas.

no such thing as an archer’s sallet in 1403.

true, but i’m guessing those were just suggestions, the main idea being that relevant items appear in the merchants list of wares upon completion of one quest-line or the other.

The helmet the archer wears in the Alpha is an archers sallet, as well as many other helmets. It’s the basic design for most helmets, so it’s both wrong and right to say it isn’t an archers sallet.

Hmm well I just did some research on the subject.

The Sallet is believed to originate in Italy around 1407, our setting in KCD is 1403. Looking at a Google image search almost all of the helmets pictured are rounded similarly to the classic skull cap.

Im pretty positive the archer is wearing a Bascinet, this helmet also originates in Italy and was first referenced in 1281; it also appears to be the predecessor to the sallet thus making it very easy to explain the mix up.

[quote]In essence the earliest sallets were a variant of the bascinet, intended to be worn without an aventail or visor.[/quote] - Wikipedia

I personally didn’t know the difference, but after 2 mins on a Google Image search it was clear that they were two different looking helms with allot of similarities.

The major differences I can see is bascinet more commonly is conehead looking and offers little protection for the shoulders and neck. The sallet commonly is rounded and its notable change is the flange that hangs over the neck and shoulders.

Now some pictures.

Bascinet

Sallet

Samopse Archer

2 Likes

Most, if not all helmets originate from the bascinet. Sorry, I just love sallets (the ones with aventails and visors, not the open-faced ones.) And his helmet came up as a sallet in my version, not a bascinet. I haven’t played since the last update, so it might’ve glitched half the helmet away into his head.

Did you not read my whole post?

Sallet do not use aventails, thus the whole point of their design.

you literally just described a bascinet.

which is finds its origins in the skull cap.

Sallets have built in aventails (the metal back pieces) and a bevor (pictured below)

Which reminds me…

1 Like

No, an Aventail, Bevor, and Sallet are all different pieces of armor; two of them are neck armor and one is a helmet.

Aventail is a mail armor that protects your neck and shoulders and attaches to a helmet like a curtain.

Hmm almost looks exactly like our archer huh?

Bevor is plate armor which was used with sallets until the eventually evolution of the Burgonet.

The fact still remains a sallet is not the helmet in the game, and you are clearly confused about the differences in the two types of helmets and the components that make them.

We can debate this forever really but its gonna drag this thread into an eternal oblivion so should you choose to rebuttal please PM me or continue Here.

3 Likes

You started this. :joy:

Well, technically, I started this, but you live up to your Trollface profile picture. :smile:

Anyways, do you have any ideas for Alpha 0.4?

Nice posts fella.

I was going to weigh in on the discussion, but not much point given how well you’ve summed things up above. :smile:

On another note; not a big fan of the bascinets personally. Hounskull and pig-faced haven’t exactly got the most appealing aesthetic do they :grimacing: . The Great Bascinets were certainly an improvement around the early 1400’s, especially with the inclusion of the exaggerated skull height, and the development of plate gorgets.

The Sallet is an entirely different and IMO greater beast altogether. An improvement in almost every way both functionally and aesthetically (being Italian origins style had to be important haha) from it’s earlier bascinet counterpart. Especially the late 15th century German Sallet, with bevor which is mentioned above.

Impressive piece of armour… my favourite helmet is still the Close helm though (even the armet style to an extent as well). The Close Helmet is for me the apex. Very showy, very cool… in addition to its superior design, and protection… but that’s obviously because its a much much more modern and advanced piece of kit.

@TheKnightinBlack Sorry mate, got sidetracked. Nice ideas though *getting back to the topic of the thread. The only thing being; Henry himself is a trained blacksmith. We obviously don’t yet know his proficiency (apprentice, journeymen, master?!) but either way, he’d be doing his own forging and smithing work. So wouldn’t it be better to learn a new forging method or technique, rather than simply being given smithed goods?

On a whole though, the premise of choosing to side with the archer or a man-at-arms type NPC appeals to me. I like the idea. But who to choose?! :question:

@TheKnightinBlack

Whoa buddy give credit where due @213 Started this, I simply ended it.

Yes the troll face Crowned by the very Helm that was the root of this debate.

Haven’t played 0.3 yet, and I honestly I try my best not to think that far ahead or even day dream for disappointment that shall surely ensue when the epicness of my imagination can not be lived up to; I will say that they have lived up to my expectations of a dream game so far so maybe @TobiTobsen really is following me in my dreams…no seriously he told me once he does this its ok though because im really pushing for that katana.

Overall I hope we see some level of combat by 0.4 im really eager to get my hands on the sword again its still NUMBER ONE want for the next update or small patch or send me an email that I won’t dare share to anyone else for reals.

@Earl_Thorn I must say I agree with the sallet being the superior helmet, looks strong enough to stop a Katana.

4 Likes

Exactly why would there be a Japanese Katana in Medieval Bohemia?

Because its the best damn sword in the world and has magical powers that allows it to teleport to medieval Bohemia. Lets be honest the katana simply blows the longsword out of the water in every aspect. You never hear about a longsword cutting through 5 people at once or cutting a machine gun barrel in half do you? I didn’t think so.

I don’t care which sword is better, I care for historical accuracy. And I have never heard of a katana in Europe during the Dark Ages at any point.

1 Like

Katana is better. There are sources that prove there were a few katanas near the Bohemia area at the time period. It was incredible effective at killing knights in full plate armor and was eventually banned by the church as an evil weapon.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Jan Hus was believed to be in possession of an ancient katana known as “iudicium divinum” or Divine Judgement. He used this sword to inspire the local populace and bring them over to his cause, performing miracles with the blade.

One such miracle is recorded in the Hussite traditions as Jan having wielded the sword to cut through an old Catholic manuscript. Yet only the doctrinal sections of theology that he questioned and sought reform in were actually stricken and removed from the manuscript.

After Jans death, this manuscript then became known as the Book of Hus, and was taken into every battle the Hussites fought against the crusaders that came against them. This book is reflected in the shield design that is synonymous with the Hussites of the period.

1 Like

Like I said, I don’t care which sword is better. I’m here because the game is set in the Dark Ages and is historically accurate and I’ve been waiting for something like this since I was 3. If there’s a bunch of samurais roaming around with katanas that one-shot you, as long as it’s historically accurate I wouldn’t care. But NOBODY is stopping me from walking around in full plate, a kite shield and a bastard sword, one-shot katana-weilding Japs or otherwise.