Imagine a siege what would you use if

I was wondering what kind of weapons this community would use if you were participating in a castle siege and why?

Axes (Throwing axes, battle axes, etc)
Swords (Short, long bastard)
Polearm
Sickle
Mace
Bow
Crossbow
Warhammer
Dagger
Halberd

Feel free about the armor!

Only game where I did sieging was M&B. I used to play there as archer but I lacked proper armor so I changed to Bastard + Shield with some heavy armor, when I lost shield I simply used both hands for sword. Polearms seemed to be useful as secondary weapon when I tried to push through a corridor of heavy defenders and throwing axes as for the last slot. But all these weapons on me often slowed me down so much that without support of others, I died easily. So I avoided using crossbows at all, heavy shields and got back to light bow with sabre and rounded shield. I never really liked maces and war-hammers for they are slow. If not sword, I like to use long axe to break the shields and overaly over-reach my opponents. And I totally dislike short weapon like knives and daggers.

1 Like

I’m going with the question being a real-life scenario.

Really it’d depend. How am I entering the castle? How about defending? (You never quite specified which side I’m on for this castle siege, so I’ll do both)

Attacking
Siege Tower: I’m most likely going to be among the middle mass, so I’d need reach first of all, so I’d go maybe spear (polearm) and once in close, I think an arming sword and heater shield. A warhammer or pick might be a great sidearm (and we’re to assume all choices include carrying some sort of dagger. I’m going rondel)
Ladders: Definitely a heater shield, spear, and arming sword. Shield to defend against archer fire (and I’m hoping my plate will block the rest) spear when I’m near the top to jab upwards, and once over go straight to the arming sword.
Battering Ram: I’d like a heater shield still as well as an arming sword, but here I’d also want a pick. There’s going to be murder holes above me, and that’s just going to be a death trap until we take the gatehouse fully. Long story short, I expect to die.
Breach: Heater, sword, pick. Archers’ll probably be firing at me from above while we’re stuck in a roving mass of bodies until either side breaks.

Defending
Siege Tower: Spear. They’ll be coming from in front of me or slightly above. great for taking shots at their legs and crotch. Once in close, I’ll just grab whatever is laying about for close quaters and take my rondel as my offhand.
Ladders: Spear. Got a good reach, I can stab and push them off. Rondel if they get too close.
Battering Ram: Depends. If we’re talking among the front two ranks, spear and pavise. Hold them back as long as possible while spearing over or beside the shield. Again, sword sidearm. If I’m in the gatehouse, I’m going to focus on using a bow to fire down through the murder holes.
Breach: Front lines, same as before with the battering ram. Hold them in the breach while the archers pick them off from above. If I am on the walls, again go with a bow.

1 Like

You made me think about the importance of having a shield, attacking or defending!

I would take only throwing axes, and give lots of them to my comrades. We would all hurl them at the raised drawbridge so that I could use the handles of the embedded axes as rungs and climb up to the gatehouse, just like Kirk Douglas in The Vikings :grin:

1 Like