In the console version, this game is ugly

I was referring to game stability as in not crashing and having game breaking bugs.
True this game still have some of that. But if you compare how the game work now even if the slow rendering and ugly clipping still exist and have even gotten worse the game don’t crash nearly as often and don’t have nearly as many game breaking bugs as it used to. The stability of the game is much, much improved over the last 5-6 months though granted some of that seems to have come at the cost of graphical performance, especially in patch 1.6. Never have I played a Bethesda Elder Scrolls or Fallout game that have cleared up this much in the same amount of time. Quite frankly most of them still have sever instability issues late game years later that’s never been fixed by Bethesda themselves. Fixed by modders yes but that don’t really count and it sure don’t help people on consoles much either. So far I think War Horse is doing better than Bethesda especially so given their size.
Maybe I dodged a lot of issues this time cause I started a new game from scratch with hardcore mode. Not a single crash and only one bug that resulted in lost or altered progress.
One progress altering/halting bug in a whole playthrough and not a single crash? That have never ever happened to me in any Elder Scrolls or Fallout game playthrough ever even if done years after original release and I have done quite a few of them over the years.
This game in 1.6 is now quite stable considering how it started, looks like shit due to the rendering issues but that is another matter and one I hope they can fix without tanking the stability again.

The game never crashed on me during the 1,5 version. 1.6 did not improve squat.

As mentioned previously in the thread I never played 1.5 much so can’t really relate to 1.5 to 1.6 performance changes. Anyhow the point was now vs release and that still stands.

I am sure you are correct, but give WH a few more updates and we will be back to alpha stage of the game!

1 Like

Well just because one patch take a step back in some domains I fail to see why that would indicate a complete regression of everything going forward. We’ll see maybe they end up disappointing me too but its far from that yet.

Blockquote
I did write them a very, very angry and ranty email about their original save file management system and how it could accidentally corrupt all save files in a whole playthrough if the game crashed during saving because all saves was in the same file and they where (obviously) not compartmentalised properly if that could happen.

Blockquote

That would do it!
(Holy rapunzel, batman)

Well that figures out the save issue, for me.

I had suggested on these forums that the Save issues could be drive fragmentation related. Whilst I believed that wouldn’t be highly likely, it fit with what we were seeing (it was at least possible).

I dismissed it, personally, as it would have to be some serious drive fragmentation, to much up save games.
Assuming they were typical ‘individual’ files.

In the last week with increased reports of players ‘loosing all their saves’, I started to contemplate what could be happening.

The natural, obvious answer is that the game has one file per playline (or maybe one file total; would explain the ‘resume feature’ muckups with ‘save and quit’).

One file, that increases with size with each additional save…

Oh my.
(Bad)

@warhorse
Either make a dummy file, 10x bigger than needed when game first installs, or, better yet-
Allow users to use a thumb drive for game saves.

The thumb drive option is worth considering, from a technical point of view, and if I was the dev I’d see if streaming wave (music) files from the thumb drive reduces CPU overhead for decoding compressed sound tracks.

Put users music and saves on a thumb drive (music removes need for hard drive to seek and track elsewhere whilst loading textures etc). Wave files removes cpu processing, which for old machines due to thermal throttling might have a hard time running all cores flat out. (Any headroom being appreciated)

Best thing is users saves games could write to a thumb drive (game might have to pause cause users will plug in some shitty drives)

Otherwise, if ye on the system drive, you need to use one of sony’s partitions for game saves and have the data copied to/from the ‘save’ partition on game startup and close.

One large save file?
Found your major error!

Steps to fix this will help SO MANY systems in the wild.
You do realise about seek times on drives, yes? Imcremental data writes?
The concept of a tabula rasa, and then what your game install and patch process does, yes?
One large save file that goes everywhere (and must be read from everywhere to be ‘decoded’ is mad to make work. Maybe not for product testers who obviously play this game differently (stopping after 100 hours?..)

One file…
Hahahhahah
Oh my!

Users: make off drive backup of save data (copy to a thumb drive)
Uninstall KCD (/or make off drive backup of game)

Clean install latest version of KCD.
Restore backed up save files to the system.

Play game.

(Report back so others know…)

Obviously can’t fix any given ‘per patch state of the game’, but can make game optimal to perform in your system :wink: