Ingame Nudity ?!

Medieval times are known greatly for nudity and sexual encounters folks.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance should basicly be like real authentic Medieval times with nudity, foul language, and sexual content and blood and gore and violence galore.

Cuz some one like it, some one dont like dude

source?

Exactly how do you know how the daily language was?
How do you know how much nudity there was and how common sex outside marriage was?

2 Likes

https://opus4.kobv.de/opus4-bamberg/frontdoor/index/index/docId/144

Sorry that the source is in German, but there should be also a English version of the .pdf file but I couldnā€™t find it.

The important thing is that the word nude had a variation of meanings at this time, ranging from completely naked to not propper dressed for the situation or the external standing in society.

Explicit nudity as such is absolutely not important for a good game, as is bad language or even violence (fighting). I would, however, really enjoy some ā€˜romanticā€™ mechanics and evolving relationship between player vs. other characters, as well other character vs other character :slight_smile: as part of the story. E.g. Itā€™s just nice to see the village girl you slept with month ago still remembering you, the another one you took by force still hating you, or your liegeā€™s shy and humble daughter keep secretly throwing her eye on you inviting you to visit her later that day on top of her tower she was banished to :stuck_out_tongue: Romantic relationships (often without any sign of nudity or foul language) is classic theme even in classic literature, so why it should be different in videogames.

1 Like

Because something being one way in one medium isnā€™t a reason for it to be that way in another. Not on itā€™s own. ā€œIn movies, the run time is usually under 2 hours, so why not here?ā€ :I

It is when realism is one of the main focuses, which it is in this case.

Youā€™re expressing that you donā€™t think signs of nudity of foul language are necessary (which is true, but I donā€™t agree when weā€™re talking about a game that supposed to be somewhat realistic), but then you just offhandedly mention wanting people to remember when you rape them?!?XD Awesome:D

Not sure, if I understood you well, but while nudity relates to sexuality only (very marginal issue indeed), developing a relationship as such is a more complex thing, yet waiting to be properly showed in a vast number of games.

You said it yourself - realism. When it comes to weapons and fighting, you have plenty of games to choose from. But all relationships/romanticism in games usually ends right on the start with main heroā€™s favourite character dying and he himself taking path of bloody revenge. Or itā€™s completely missing from the game. So you go on useless quests like killing a dragon, saving a king, raiding a cuman camp or killing 1000+1 enemies, yet there may be no quest line or in-build mechanics that would follow more personal level, and if thereā€™s one, itā€™s often portrayed in a very (modern) way of various clichĆ©s and with a strong influence of sexuality and roles. Which is something I donā€™t like. I really hope the millerā€™s daughter here will be not just the sexual object, but will have real and believable personality and ability to influence Henry or even take decisions and have her own approach to various in-game situations :wink:

To the main point, and yes, that was the only purpose of the previous post - I consider romanticist literature of 19th century one of the major landmarks of humanity ever. Might give you few book tips later to better understand whatā€™s the matter with it. Realism and romanticism can go really well togetherā€¦ there are also epic quests. battles. skirmishes. historical events and characters. but also a plenty of personal topics, and very often, itā€™s all mixed together very nicely. Complexity is the way.

1 Like

You arenā€™t looking in the correct places. The reason you arenā€™t finding the quality of romance you want in these games is because people that make them set out to make RPGs, or actions games, not romance simulators. People that want to make something like that make visual novels, and dating sims, or simply write a book or movie, most often at least. Finding someone that wants to make this type of game, as well as a complicated romance is very unlikely. Itā€™s a case of adding a game into another game, instead of a story with a few options, making it complex takes a specific interest in that subject, this is because of the work it takes.

Basically, it would take a very specific type of person for this to happen. Maybe you should make games?:stuck_out_tongue: But I think there are visual novels that could satisfy you. Probably.

As for me, Iā€™ve never liked romance. The only time romance has interested me as a theme has been in very ā€œdifferentā€ (thatā€™s a word for it I guessā€¦) stories, such as School Days, or Yosuga no Sora. I wouldnā€™t look those two up:) Other than stories like those, it always just annoys me, it always seems the same, the same problems, the same people. I wouldnā€™t be opposed to having romance as you suggested in the game, Iā€™d probably just kill her, but Iā€™d be fine with it:D

We are getting a bit offtopic, but a romance theme that would be realistic for the gameā€™s setting could be interesting. As far as I know 14th century was a time where women already had some rights (since 11-12th century) and something close to our present idea of romantic love was also estabilished through new interpretations of the Bible. There was still a clash between antique ideas about love and sexuality (see: Song of Songs) and the Christian Creationism and theologists scrambled to make them compatibile. :slight_smile:

On the practical level, marriage had a very strong position as it was seen as a symbol of the bond between men and God. Sexual love (and nudity) was separated from all this, but was tolerated as it was considered to be natural (that is only in marriage heh). Women were of course still dependent on their husbands and what they allowed them to do, possibly with the exception of wealthy widows who were more independent. Becoming a successful mother was still critical to secure a good position in the society.

Another interesting thing is that in the Hussite movement women had a real role (even as fighters), which might have been another point of conflict between Hussites and the Church.

As for non-erotic nudity, I found out that it was not viewed as harmful if one got naked for practical reasons like drying clothes or bathing and that was even where there were strangers around. In one book Mr. Vondruska writes that nudity was strictly forbidden just in three places: churches, markets and at celebrations.

Now I want to be able to have the MC get hammered and streak through a market square in the middle of a festival.

:grin:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good plot idea for act 2 right there.

1. get hammered
  2. naked run through the market square
  3. ā€¦?
  4. accidentally start a civil war
3 Likes

Coitus shaw have, as I command!

That reminds me of the noble nuns in german cities in the 14th century. Religion lost a bit of its value because of economy boom and the rising merchant class. So the noble and rich ladies who were sent to the monasteries were officially nuns but lived in own homes, dressed normally and held dance parties every other night with even male visitors. No word of sexual matters of course :wink:

But I think the women rights declined in 15th century to get to a new low in 16th, also not sure about the difference between countryside and city. I was surprised at how ā€œfreeā€ Henry and Biancaā€™s relationship was pictured in the Intro. Thought it was much more strict, like, no sex before marriage and stuff?
Anyone got a book recommendation on relationships in medieval times? Since I know exactly nothing about it, may be an interesting read.

2 Likes

It depends on regions and social status, but yes 15th century was far more advanced in sociocultural aspect sont forget that Reneissance was a already set up in Italy by 1403ā€¦ That reminds me of a story from Decameeon about a nun, an abesse and thwie love affairs lol
Also a good book on topic of women rights, nit quite relationship:

1 Like

Will there be nudity?