Intro Cinematic -- Huh?

Dear Devs,

I want to preface this post by saying that I haven’t had a chance to play the game yet. I need to get a new computer and that will hopefully happen soon. So obviously I haven’t had a chance to really get into the world and get acquainted with my character. However, I have watched the intro cinematic, and I think it could use some improvement.

I think this was also hinted at in a gameplay video I saw recently. At the end of the cinematic, the character says it’s time to “take it all back.” I’m a bit confused as to what this means.

The character tells us that his town was basically destroyed by Zikmund’s invading army, and that his family were all killed. That right there has my sympathy. That’s a pretty common thing for a time of war, and I can understand how someone would feel alone, distraught, and lost in the world. I want to help my character in any way I can. So far, so good!

Then he says the last line. What does he want to take back? If he really wants a family and a forge so badly, he should go find a girl and some building materials. I really hope that’s not the point of this game! So does he want back his town, peaceful times, prosperity? Ok, then perhaps we have something to work with. Does he want to remove Zikmund, who we can see is a power-hungry tyrant, because he blames him for the loss of his town and family? Ok, now that’s a start! But saying he wants to take something back doesn’t make any sense when his family is six feet under and his town is ashes.

I need two things in a cinematic intro. I need to understand the situation and how it affects my character. That’s the WHY I’m looking for – Why am I playing this game? The second thing I need is to know WHAT I need to do to help him. If it’s not clear what he wants, I don’t know how I can help him and I don’t feel motivated. My reaction is more of a “Huh?” than “HELL YEAH LET’S DO THIS!”

I’m not trying to be hyper-critical, and I’m afraid it might sound that way. Seriously, I’m pretty psyched to play this game. I’m sitting here with a bottle of Svijany and a copy of Ceske zeme za vlady Lucemburku. I just want to make it 100% great instead of 99%.

Thanks for listening!

Wolfgang

Not a good start to any new thread… :confounded:

And yes, unfortunately tonally that’s how it’s coming across.

But moving beyond all of that, I think you’re looking into things a bit too much here. I doubt the opening cinematic will remain as is for the final iteration of the game. Dialogues change, and most of what we’ve been shown to date is still in ongoing development. It certainly isn’t fully representative of what may be in the final game.

Feedback is always welcomed, especially if it’s constructive (so I don’t want to discourage that in any way). But I think it’s important to see the forest through the trees. And not get too bogged down in things that at this stage may merely be placeholder. Context is critical

1 Like

It is fine. He is honest and open, thats a good thing, so I appreciate it.

About the critique. This cinematic intro is only there for the Beta, because the Beta doesn´t start at the beginning of the game but a few hours inside of it. Nearly everything which is explained in the Intro will be playable in the final game.

1 Like

The opening cine is an introduction, after all, not a summary of everything.