Is this the game for me?

Hi all,

It recently came to my attention that there is this neat little game called kingdom come deliverance. Being a HUGE medieval fan(I loved games like the witcher series, DAO, ES skyrim), this instantly grabbed my attention, in other words, I have been lurking for a few weeks now on this forum trying to decide if this juicy looking game is for me.

At first, I thought this is your standard medieval RPG, you are an average joe and you will become a hero, you will fight people, level up skills, maybe become a baron/duke and can tax villages/towns that you control - similar to Witcher 3 in a sense. Great, OK, same overall story structure that has been repeated countless times I thought, let’s see how the devs can make this one interesting.

But then I realized that, this game has a heavy survival element to it as well, in other words you can’t just play it like a traditional medieval RPG where you do the general loot, fight, questing, mini-games and finish the game. It turns out that there are alot more things you need to pay attention to that I initially realized.

So that’s where I am now, still trying to piece what the game is exactly by reading the dev diaries, but since I am NOT a survival fan by any means, now I am not quite sure whether this game is right for me anymore.

On one hand, the setting, story, and (hopefully) combat seem to be interesting(although I have heard people complaining about not being able to progress through the earlier levels of the game because they can’t beat NPCs in combat, is this true?). On the other hand, various other factors like the survival have me hesitating as to whether or not I will enjoy the game.

So that’s why I am making this thread, to the backers and/or devs, what drew you to fork over $50+ for this game? Based on the short summary of games that I have played with similar setting to this one, do you think I should/should not buy this game?

Thank you for your time.

its the fighting system and realism and settings for history buffs immersion lovers and people who like to see a more realistic fighting style over simply swinging in the same direction as in skyrim and most other games

i have some 1.2k hours in skyrim and i have still yet to find a mod that makes the combat system in skyrim realistic.

so if it interests you get it by all means, if not. dont

sidenote ive had a lot of fun playing but it really does need a beefy machine to get decent fps. had gtx745 in sli and that gave me 30 fps at 720p had to finallly switch into the 1070 that i bought and was too lazy to install after getting tired of all the stuttering…

I won’t mind realistic combat as long as it’s fair - in other words the combat works well, fun to use and isn’t a hassle to learn/use, in a way similar to for honor almost(closes comparison I can draw).

I’m just worried that the game will be like a DayZ kind of game with the survival element. Where you are more focused on keeping henry alive than enjoying the side-quests/storyline. Especially depends on if the devs wants to get really realistic where henry can only be active for X hours out of a 24 hour period, and then you are forced to rest, I can see how that can potentially be something you have to plan around and is generally more of a nuisance than something enjoyable.

So as someone who has played the beta, what are some of the “realism” the dev put in? That’s what I’m interested in knowing and depends on how much things you have to deal with in order to play the game that is what will most likely decide whether i buy this game or not.

The survival elements seem to be eating food and sleeping. It’s not like one of those games where you’re constantly looking for food and gathering sticks to turn into stick clubs.

The survival elements are there, but they are way less prominent than it is the case in DayZ, where you are constandly on the search for food and equipment. You have to eat from time to time, but you don´t need to gather your own food. It is very easy to stay healthy, you will find enough food in your environment.
Yes, you have to sleep in Kingdom Come Deliverance which will help you restore your energy, but you can stay awake for a while. If you liked Skyrim and the Witcher series, you will also like Kingdom Come Deliverance, even if you are not a fan of survival elements. Our focus is the story, not the survival elements.

2 Likes

If you are an actuall Medieval fan (As in real middle ages, a historical term) you will love it. Its far more realistic than Witcher or skyrim, in terms of survival, so ye food isnt just a healing method
@DrFusselpulli said it all.
I however as a historian can say that this game is awesome, due to the level of details, such as open fist fighting, so if you want to see what life looked like in 1403, play it !

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies, based on the replies here I think I will most likely be getting this game, heres hope that it release soon!

1 Like

With the exception that scabbards are clearly missing at the current moment. But maybe they will come, then I agree with you completely.

They are ?
But even without all the details, the visaul aspect of the game is incredible. I am really fascinated what they have done with Sazava. I cant wait to see it in the actuall game.

You will be amazed. Of that, I have no doubt :0)

1 Like

The combat in game is fantastic, a game that finally does maces right really rewarding smacking some ones skull with a mace. The down side is how much of a machine you need to run it, and night time is pretty annoying currently, the survival element is easy to deal with other then night time everything goes black and you have to uss a torch to get around. But good it is mod freindly. So once its out just turn off the stuff you dont like

If this game needs a top of the line rig to play it at release, then the devs would have made a very stupid error, simply because the game won’t sell. Being a new IP, most people are hesitant to pick it up, so they are waiting for a price drop/reviews. If they hear that this game will only run on top-end rigs, guess what? No body will go out and spend hundreds to upgrade for a $50 game(especially in the beginning of the year, where there are no discounts on hardware generally). So it’s extremely, extremely unlike what you are saying about the game is true.

We are talking about the current beta. At the moment the game is horribly optimized so it really does need a top of the line PC to play at maxed out settings and whatever resolution you want but as I said i used to run 745 sli and i could still run 720p low settings at 23-28 fps with dips to 17 or 18 in places with lots of combat… ( spoiler :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ?)

No body cares about beta though, it’s called beta for a reason.

yeah but theres no information apart from them saying that the game isnt optimized yet

Again, if the devs make this game accessible to high end rigs only, they will be in deep red. Just look at how much arkham knight failed due to poor optimization, and that’s just poor optimization. If the game is designed to run on high end rigs/poorly optimized, mark my words, few will buy it.

SLI isn´t supported at all yet. It will be supported in the final game, but right now you are using only one of your cards.

I bet they are having a hard time optimizing it, between the armor and combat to functional armor its a lot on the line they made advancements in a lot of things. I rhink they want this to go to consule as well, so at least we know there target goals

Ok bud let me set you straight. A lot of these people are putting holes in their explanations.
As said earlier the “survival element” of the game will not be a big problem at all. Just buy/loot food and you will be okay. Also sleep every so often.
The combat in the beta is much different than the actual build that the devs have right now. Also, the beta is just so old compared to what the current build the devs have that it can be considered null, so ignore most of the stuff people say about beta (as in don’t compare the beta to the final game.)
The whole dev build game (in almost every single area) has a solid 30 fps right now and all they are doing now is optimizing it constantly. Also, they are releasing it on ps4 and xbox one so that definitely should mean that any mildly decent modern day pc can run the game.
As far as I’ve heard (about 3 years now) you will not be a noble. You are a blacksmith and remain as such, and you will not collect taxes or rule over anything. Example, on Skyrim you can progress to the leader of a certain clan or something like that. Not happening in this game (as far as I’ve heard.)
Most of the realism is in the setting. There are REAL species of plants everywhere, the combat is realistic (maybe a little not in the beta but in beta as long as you don’t fight in the arena its usually easy), the locations of villages are real, the carrots are not orange, ect. Unfortunately though, there are no scabbards. I mean really Warhorse, come on…

Remember that the devs are currently optimizing game until release, so don’t worry about high end rigs. QA testers have said that they test on all kinds of rigs from low to high so they can get an idea what the fps is going to be, ect.

So all in all I purchased this game because I want an actual realistic game (not arma poop). A fun game. A good game. And this definitely looks like the game for me in my opinion.

8 Likes

[quote=“DrFusselpulli, post:5, topic:31277”]
If you liked Skyrim and the Witcher series, you will also like Kingdom Come Deliverance, [/quote]

I would describe it so,
If you played skyrim and witcher because there was no decent real medieval game, then it is definitely THE game that you want to have and been looking for! :blush: [quote=“DrFusselpulli, post:5, topic:31277”]even if you are not a fan of survival elements.[/quote] :smile: :wink:

1 Like