Jersey 1373 Frontline island in the hundred years' war

**Jersey 1373 - a Royal Island **

Its only an idea, but i think a mod about the Channel island Jersey would be great to represent the time about the hundred years war where the englishmen fight against the french. In my opinion an Island is the best Idea to create a credible open world without borders. The sea is a great natural border without immersion breaking elements. Jersey has about 118 km², but as in the game it would be possible to shrink and cut this area into a moddable size.

Jersey 1639 by Gerhard Mercator

Infrastructure

Jersey is an historical place with two castles, Grosnez and Mont Orgueil Castle. A lot of churches and abbeys like the Parish Church of Saint Helier or Helier Abbey on a small tidal island. Saint Helier was already a village during the time of the roman empire and there are also other age-old places like dolmens or the grave la Hougue Bie which is also a dungeon. There are other dungeons as well, like la Cotte de Saint Brelade in the south. You have forests and fields on this Island als well as villages and farms. The main economy during this time in Jersey were sheeps and apples, and both are already in the game!

The ruins of Grosnez Castle

Saint Helier Abbey

uncertain times

1373 would be an interesting period. Firstly, this is near the timeline of the original game, so equipment would be nearly the same as in Bohemia. During the summer Bertrand du Guesclin overran Jersey and besieged Mont Orgueil Castle. But he failed as english relief troops arrived timely.

Bertrand du Guesclin at the Battle of Cocherel

There are much other possibilities for Jersey.
Maybe 1338 or 1339 when also french forces engaged the island.
Or 933 as William I Longsword the Duke of Normandy fight against the Bretons where previously the Island was linked to. You also can make the Island an area of the viking era, if we once have the island.
Or even older let it be a part of the Roman Empire during the time of the gauls, even if you have to exchange some of the infrastructure.

What do you think about this idea?

2 Likes

How does Pauly D fit in all this?

1 Like

If a case for islands is to be made, then definitely the Mediteranean in the 1520s.

Much more important historywise, much more interesting due to the last use of rowing galleys and first use of heavy warships as well as the huge difference between the Christian and Muslim armies.

I think this could be a problem or at least very difficult. As far as I know Kingdom Come: Deliverance will be a Land game, not a game about sea battles, warships and galleys. The thoughts about the island is to create a natural border to the world, not to open a new battlespace between islands.
And also, if we would have to create mediterranean islands this is a lot of really a lot of more work than to make a channel island. We would need new plants, houses, textures, models of the ships, ancient weapons, clothes and armour. And as well the “ship-engine”.

If we make jersey, we already have the surrounding objects, plants, farmhouses, armour and clothes (maybe some would need new textures). And we don´t have to care so much about ships. Sure, we also have to make some boats, but not so many different and they can be static without the trouble about a long journey of our playcharacter.

Good point. Still, history wise, the fight for mediteranean or Muslim raids into the Hungarian basin seem much more interesting.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Also, I’m not that much interested in mediterranean islands or moslems… there are other games for that :smile:

What I’d really like to see would be some celtic history mod, based either in Bohemia, land of the Boii, or Britain itself. Like Brytenwalda :blush: