KCD combat system - spot on, half baked, or good enough?

W3, Skyrim, DragonAge, etc. they all have decent controller configs. KCD is different - 5 point, etc. The special attack 1 isn’t square, special attack 2 circle, etc. you actually have to execute each step to get the special attack (combo)

It seems though many can execute them against Bernard but not NPCs. This inconsistency is annoying

Bernard is in a small area. In the world, you’re often fighting multiple enemies, moving around a lot, and the enemies pull back and take turns getting close and hitting you.

The simplest combos are easy to pull off, but most things die, or get out of range in the real world. Apart from being unblockable, and maybe looking cool, most combos are fairly pointless.

I know one knocks an opponent on the ground, and there was talk of a disarm, but I don’t think they implemented the disarm. A knockout would be useful too.

lol, The only people who complain about W3 combat are the people who didn’t like the game. Play it on harder than the easier difficulty settings and I promise it isn’t easy.

Have mixed feelings about +2 vs Henry. Of course, it’s nice to chop them down. But, tactically they should be more challenging especially when 3 or more. They aren’t so much… walk backwards and usually you can survive the day

Frickin ridiculous that Henry was/is able to kill every single combatant in ‘sabotage’ mission (nest of vipers) and suffer no greater than 50% damage

I only play on the hardest difficulty settings. It was easy. If you thought it was hard…

No, there are people that liked the game, but not the combat, or the scaling loot system, and how quest rewards and looted items are always useless low level junk. No possibility of tackling high level content early to get high level rewards at low level, something I always enjoy doing.

Anyway, let’s not bother with Witcher anymore. I get it, you like it. I don’t.

Two problems, weapon skill to damage scaling, and timid AI. They need to work together and all attack at once from multiple angles instead of standing in line and fighting you one at a time, or standing around doing nothing.

I prefer to side step so I don’t get too far away from the loot, or pull new enemies.

You actually can tackle harder level stuff. And a lot of enemies were way higher level. I just hate when people spew nonsense.

On foot, usually walk backwards in a (mostly) circle. On horse, back and forth till I can shot ‘em in the face

btw, polearm and foot archers are too stupid. when Henry is on horseback, target the horse, not Henry. that was the counter to the Cuman horse archers, kill their mount

I know you can do it. The problem is the reward scaling. Even if you do it, there is no point, because the reward for higher level content at low level is low level junk.

Read that again. Learn English. Read your response. Try reading an entire sentence. Not just one or two words.

Take the initial quest in KCD. When you’re escaping the Cumans. Well, you can kill them. You can stealth. You can ride the horse. If you don’t suck, you can actually beat them legitimately. The reward? Mid tier armor, and enough gold to buy top tier.

What happens if you do something like that in Witcher? Low level junk. No resale value. No point.

Had no success choking out Cuman or killing the follower coming down the path

Was however able to go back to Skalitz silver processing mill and hit and run the bandits for cuirass, duelist and other really good (great?) early game armor and weapons … even if damaged. Don’t have a problem with it. But think is should be a very, very difficult task for Henry to pull off

The very first Cuman is high skill, the one behind you. The ones attacking Theresa can be choked. Then, once you have a Cuman suit on, you can walk right up to them and kill them easily.

You can also head the opposite direction and kill a few more. Other than that first Cuman, they’re actually pretty easy.

Not convinced equipping the NPCs with crap armor is the best way. Think nonsalvageable would be better. Effectively the same but packaged differently

I disagree. One of the things I like most about this game is that if you see someone with an item you want, you can take it from them.

Of course loading yourself up with all the loot, climbing on your horse, and then going at full speed as you weight ten times what you usually do is a little unrealistic.

generally agree but my concern is harvesting spawn points is a real KCD exploit. if tweaking spawn rates and dynamics aren’t in the cards, WH should consider doing something to curtail gratuitous grinding (eg. ~700 killed, ~500k Gr, at Q&A quest milestone). one way is to make some NPC items unsalvageable (not categorically but as a function of probability and damage suffered by NPC). tweaking overload is another. (open to alternatives)

overload is an exploit that needs remedying, too. how is it that a horse with a carrying capacity of 300 can carry 300 plus henry with 800 worth of goods. henry shouldnt be able to move at all after some threshold is crossed (eg, 2x start of overload). aside from that, Henry’s attack and defense actions should suffer a corresponding penalty. same applies to horse with Henry on it.

Im surprised that in a game of many options, choices and avenues, that you’re forced to fight boss battles.

Not sure how a non fighter Henry gets past Runt… so, in this RPG, any role is ok just so long as you’re a fighter

ya bit of a shame. I just lost to another boss fight so now I find myself going to fight camp with Captain Bernard. In the events leading up to that boss battle I didnt have much of a choice other than to fight him.

Only reason I managed to kill Runt was by shooting him 3 times with arrows. Not sure if that exploit has been fixed now.

Because you don’t have any roll at all, you always are a Jack of all trades, you can max out any main-combat-special, with the perks included, in a role game you should be able to limit at least your perk selection. Even in Skyrim and F4 that doesn’t do this but the time that you have to invest to get all the perks an shit are ridiculously high, in this game it doesn’t becouse almost all the time you are lvling up str-agy-vita are lvl only one lvl faster depending on your style. The solution for me it’s simple let the player lvl up all the things but with a limited amount of perks to choose, or/and
add tons of perks and let us lvl up to the infinity and it will take for ever to lvl up and get all things

you have to have the role of fighter or game over. that might align with your definition and PC World’s definition a ‘true role-playing game’, but not mine