KCD player base dropped by 95%, Vavra denies

Thank you for the information: I must confess that until TW3, I never felt fully dragged into a 3D environment, but this is personal… And I also acknowledge that TW3 gameplay became tedious (repetitive and too easy) after a while… I will definitively try Gothic and its sequel now. Apart from well known games and speaking of German ones, I also quite enjoyed the latest Drakensang games from 200x. Have you tried these? (These are classical and relatively solid story based rpgs…) Also, there is a Bard’s Tale IV currently in the making: I tried the Alpha version and it looks… Well, interesting if it is definitively not as attractive as KCD for me (and you will need to like turn based tactical combat)…

Yeah, that was why I mentioned the CPUs in first place. I have tried KCD on middle end computers and low performance seems to affect the IA a lot (and cause other bugs). When something like this happened (as it did to me), reloading a previous saved game helped. I must add that I always kept regular saved games for each patch. Some problems appeared with buggy situations saved in an old game, then reloaded after a new patch had been applied.

Yeah, the world is filled with stupid people: how a game could possibly be different? (Just joking here…) More seriously, the IA could greatly be improved, nonetheless it already manages to handle a lot of things right compared to what can be found in other games with less interactions (I think most games based on the Unreal 4 engine where beautiful environment=just corridor, for instance…) Mind the saying: Freedom comes at a price.

The writing in KCD is not the strongest overall and not enough to merit a sequel unless they’re going to add something beyond the “Get my father’s sword back” business (which they didn’t even finish in this game btw) but it’d be unfair not to point out that this particular part was done right. Capon doesn’t wake up all rainbows and unicorns one day and decide to be nice with you, it’s after you save him from becoming cuman spaghetti that he decides to rethink his attitude (Hell i would too if someone i hated saved my life like that) so it kind of makes sense.

or for more story building he could consider it Henrys duty to do so and take more time and adventures to come to like him.
ya, I like that.

@Loack
Let me give you some information about Gothic you have to know before playing:

1. Install game
  2. Install the “PlayerKit”
  3. Install the “System Pack” (you will find both on worldofgothic)

The “System Pack” adds compatibility to modern systems, higher resolutions, correct wide screen support, unlock the 25 FPS limitation, play the in game videos, and much more improvements without changing the original game.
Don’t use texture patches or DX11 plugins! They may look good, but they also destroy the great atmosphere of the original classic.

The controls are easy, but you have to know how they work. Forget the mouse. Gothic was designed to be played with keypad only. And for actions like speaking to other NPCs, interact with objects or during combat you have to press and hold down “Ctrl” while pressing one of the arrow keys at same time.

That’s all you have to know.

Speaking of OPINIONs, are you sure that THIS needs to be capitalized?!! :joy::joy:

Thank you for the much appreciated information here (my previous answer was removed once submitted?!) I will keep in mind to avoid textures/Dx11 patches: this seems very helpful. I now just have to grab the game on GoG…

1 Like

Or: Capon is in fact a false swaggerer, hiding his deep weaknesses and young lord’s doubts regarding the harshness of life behind a wall of false self-assurance and alcool and flirting with bath women… Or he has secretly learned that Henry is in fact unrevealed spoiler, hence his brutal change in attitude…

I see what you mean. But Henry has what? Only a few tens of gameplay hours to transform himself into a hero. This is disturbing if you play quickly and focuse on the main quest. I found it diluted when I took my time, and it is still better than in many movies where this kind of transformation is accomplished in a few minutes.
Anyways, a good storytelling trick could have been to have some later ingame events take in fact place a few years after the beginning…

It seems WH accepts the feedback and is taking steps to change the ambush mechanic: We’re working on this issue globally for all ambush situations.

1 Like

KCD has not failed and their concurrent playerbase indeed does look strikingly similar to other single player titles. One of the examples given was Far Cry 5 I believe?

Now, since both games havn’t been out for the same amount of time, we can only compare Kingdom Come from release forward and for how long Far Cry has been released.

Far Cry 5 was released on march 27, so that’s just about 40 days ago.
The game enjoyed a peak within the first week on the 31st of march of about 92.3k players. Today the 5th of may, just about 40 days after release, they have a concurrent peak of about 13.8k players.

http://steamcharts.com/app/552520

Kingdom Come was released on february the 12th and also enjoyed it’s peak number of players the first week on the 18th of february with about 95.8k players.
40 days after release, so on the 24th of March*, Kingdom come had a peak number of players of about 14.3k.

http://steamcharts.com/app/379430

It’s striking how similar these numbers and curve patterns are, almost as if… It is performing exactly like other big budget franchises which are much more main stream and marketed much more aggressively… that somehow no-one is talking about how they’re ‘failing’.

3 Likes

FC5 sold 2.5M in 5 days; 2nd biggest launch ever for Ubisoft

KCD doesn’t have 2.5M in sales

The absolute difference is considerable

With 2.5 million copies sold you’d think they’d be able to achieve better initial stats on steam than Kingdom Come, then. Just makes it even harder to argue how much KCD has ‘failed’.

KCD hasn’t failed but they haven’t hit a home run either

And yet FC5 is STILL ranking pretty high on Steams Charts. Despite the fact it had approximately the same number of max peak players since launch. More specifically, KCD had MORE players interested in the game at its peak. But lost players at a GREATER rate and is BELOW that currently of FC5 (KCD is blue & FC5 green):

See that player trend here?

And here. FC5 retained MORE of it’s original Steam player base over approx the same time to date:

That being said as to the “Why” KCD appears to be under performing relative to your “comparable” example:

1.Did FC5 have the game breaking–and by game breaking I mean MQ quest breaking – sort of bugs that KCD has?

2.What about performance? Not eye bleeding superficial issues like texture hell pop outs. I mean grind to a halt freame rate performance issues from NPCs casually littering the landscape with their halbreds? Which was not resolved as of 1.4+?

3.Has the FC5 Dev ever sloppily pushed the WRONG version of a critical patch update for official release? Then take a while before realizing this brainfart? And then apologizing for said brainfart on the sewer echo chamber of all social media aka tw@tter – instead of coming on here and addressing the very relevant KCD player base directly??

Why the need for this pointless comparison anyway? All this proves is that it’s clear PC gamers prefer FC5. And it definitely doesn’t alter the fact Steam PC gamers no longer seem to give a flying f@ck whether KCD exists anymore or not.

I noticed FO4 is still doing fairly well for a game release Nov 9015

… Are you serious?

You’re comparing Far Cry 5 NOW to Kingdom Come NOW and not Kingdom Come 40 days after release, when it was still ‘ranking pretty high on steam charts’. What I am telling you that in one and a half month from now, Far Cry 5 will have similar numbers to what Kingdom Come has now. Only DLC can counter the ever growing apathy towards any of these games. This is what happens with single player games. this is what Vavra achknowledges and tried to remind those who wrote that shitty article which has spread to several outlets.

1. No, but it didn’t help it maintain any more players within the first 40 days than KCD did, so what is your point? Apparently gamebreaking bugs / stable gameplay is not what sustains concurrent players for a single player game. Also Ubisoft releasing without bugs? Try googling ‘Assassin’s Creed game breaking’.

2. Again, if you think Ubisoft has always had smooth sailing launches for their tripple A titles with no gamebreaking bugs you need to watch some more Jim Sterling, son.

3. So, apologizing is now bad? Also we are talking Ubisoft here, you sure they’ve* never done a fuck-up or neglected their community? Again, try googling ‘far cry 5 game breaking’.

Yes. But Skyrim a 7 yr old RPG had – and continues-- in outperforming 2 yr+ old FO4.

The miscalculation that most ppl make is to only look at legacy Skyrim and not add Skyrim SE. If you add those two player stats together, you’ll see Skyrim/SSE has NEVER fallen out of the top 20 on steam since 2011. The exception is the first 2 weeks or so when FO4 first came out (and give or take a week when FO4 Season pass DLC came out).

The fact is far more players prefer Skyrim with it’s sandbox/mod friendly game mechanics which allows players to highly customize their game play. That’s in addition to the vanilla scope (at 3 DLCs, 2/3 which add new world spaces). But even if Skyrim had ZERO DLC, that wouldn’t have stopped players from playing it. This is a combination of the broad world scope (over a dozen factions, scores of side quests no related to MQ etc etc). And especially because of the modding community factor.

Which is only reason why Skyrim/SSE still dominate RPGs on the market to date. It’s the reason why Gary’s mod (which is beating GTAO at rank #13 as of today) has NEVER fallen out of the top 20 to date. And this title isn’t even a real game!

Because of Skyrim’s unlimited modding and sandbox flexibility, no two TES gamers will ever play the same game. IMO in order for an RPG released after 2011 to be as successful/long lived (at least from a PC gamer perspective) it needs to have those two game mechanics. i.e A good amount of sandbox game mechanic built into the vanilla base game AND the capacity to be mod friendly.

The former keeps players distracted and encourages them to keep playing despite how bad game breaking bugs can be. There is always something else a player can do by means of side quests, open world exploration, a player’s personal sandbox activities etc etc. The latter gives players encouragement and hope a combination of the devs and PC mod community will work together and resolve bug issues.

Both TES and Fallout franchises are living proof of this success.

You can’t factor time

92.3 / 13.8 = 6.6

95.8 / 14.3 = 6.6

You can’t do math well either.

Because you can’t factor in time and don’t realize that trends shift and that FC won’t retain it’s playerbase when it reaches the age that KCD has now.

And neither will they FC5 in a month or so, like 99% of all other SP games.

Because that is exactly what the tweet by Vavra was about and what the articles were about.

2 Likes