Layering system and medieval clothing explained [lots of pictures]

I’ll just give this another bump.

Seems the thread is dead :frowning:

There is just not much more to say I guess…
Again, awesome post with great information. It is just not such a discussion material… which you should be proud of. There aren’t many threads out there with which just everybody agrees that they are good and that there is no need to argue about it :wink:

Ah yeah that’s true.

I anticipated at least one discussion regarding the exact dates certain armor fell out of use and came in use. It seems like the other arms and armor guys kept quiet though.

@DUSHIN Thanks for the post, great work!! It’s difficult add some more :smiley:

Maybe you guys are interested in this dissertion about late medieval armory called “Armourers and their Workshops: The Tools and Techniques of Late Medieval Armour Production”?

It’s more about the technique how armours were made in late medieval times but if offers some nice pictures as well in the end. And it’s a very practical article at least with not only theoretical stuff… :wink: http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/4376/1/Dupras%20PhD%20Thesis%20Volumes%201%20%26%202.pdf

I have a little different question related to this - why is there any slots for rings or necklace? Fashion? I guess with cloths and armor it has no meaning, it wil be not visible. And i don’t expect ring with +5 stealth, +5 running in KCD :smiley:

1 Like

Rings and nacklaces could also have practical purposes. Necklaces were often some kind of sign of authority and rings could be signet rings to authenticate someone as an official representative of a nobleman…

1 Like

THAT… is actually a quite good question.
I guess it will give you social bonuses. So when you play as a bard and you want to convince someone rather than fight or threaten them, it is probably better for you to look like a wealthy noble than a filthy peasent…

This would make sense and wouldn’t be lore- and reality breaking.

@LordCrash
Guess you were a bit faster :wink:

Hey, great post! Perhaps you’d like to include an armet? They were developed during this period and became incredibly popular due to the advent of full harnesses of plate armour.

A wiki link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armet

1 Like

The armet is also one of my favorite helmets (Looks better than the sallet IMHO) but I believe it’s just a little to late to be included into the game(as in they were introduced much later than the starting year of the game). Besides they first appeared in Italy and not Bohemia so perhaps another five years would pass between the introduction in Italy and in Bohemia.

There is hope however that we might see a Kingdom Come: Salvation set in a later time period that features the later Milanese and Gothic armor. Guess that all depends on the success of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

You and @III​MuerteIII got a point, good thinking :slight_smile:

1 Like

the most advanced helmet would have been the pigface bascinet.

Erm… no. The pigfaced bascinet has nothing overtly complicated about it. It’s just a regular old bascinet with a visor attached to it.

An armet would be a much more advanced helm. The way the side pieces were designed to hinge out meant that it could enclose the face much more closely, leading to a design that was lighter and much more form fitting. The wearer would be unable to remove it until he hinged the sides out; he was essentially bolted into it (minus the bolts). A bevor could also be attached as seen in the image to provide even more protection, although this would limit movement and restrict breathing even more.

you should learn how to read. the armet wasn’t available in the time period and location represented in the game. thus, the pigface helmet would have been the most advanced

And you should learn how to debate a point without getting your knickers in a twist because someone debunked you. The armet was available at this point. Therefore the hounskull bascinet was not the most advanced helm. I never stated that armet’s were present in Bohemia at the time, only that they were around. So perhaps you should look for the log in your own eye before seeking the speck in mine, hm? As you quaintly put it “you should learn how to read”.

actually, it wasn’t even around. the armet wasn’t invented until a few decades later. try again

Do you get a rise out of attempting to be provocative or are you genuinely that unknowledgeable about the period?

i get a rise out of goading uneducated people into revealing that they don’t know what they’re talking about. please post the source where armet was available in 1403. go ahead.

No. 57 in the Churburg collection. Circa 1420. I doubt it sprung out of nowhere so there were most likely others around circa 1403.