Learn to ride a horse?

I don’t know if this topic has already been discussed or if Warhorse Studios have talked about it already, but I just thought that if they are aiming for realism, then perhaps it might be a fun idea to have to learn to ride a horse before actually being able to ride one. Nobody in real life can just get on a horse and know how to ride it, even if the horse riding mechanics don’t require any skill to ride or have to press any buttons to do certain things, but just going through a horse riding lesson type mini game to allow you to start riding horses might be interesting.

If Warhorse Studio’s wanted to take this even further they could even setup a mechanic where you have to look after your horse properly, maintain a good relationship with your horse maybe? but this could also really distract from the actual gameplay. I’m looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts on this! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

great idea but you’re missing one chain of thought in all of this .

henry isnt 8 years old . im not sure if there is a confirmed age for him but i would say a safe bet is mid 20’s .
by that age a male living in these times where horses are the main mode of transport other than foot would be quite familer with riding a horse and most likely taught by his father at a young age .

cool idea if we was started from birth :slight_smile:

although that being said you could still have a skill tree for riding that would give perks such as greater stamina for the horse , jump larger objects , carry more weight etc .

however this may be addressed in how much you pay for the horse :slight_smile: do you go for the 3,000 skoda horse or do you go for 50,000 Lamborghini horse :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree with the idea of a horse riding skill (I bet WH is already planning to implement that) but in a realistic way.

I don’t see why a horse riding skill should augment the amount of stamina of the horse or allow him to carry more weight. This should be horse’s stats.

IMHO a horse skill should allow you - Henry - to be able to easily control the horse. The greater the horse skill the greater the control.
Maybe that if you are a good rider you can impose your will to the horse so that it can overwhelm is own will and therefore can allow you to ask him a little bit more (like jumping larger objects).

3 Likes

Yeah it did cross my mind that xD I think at the very least it should be mentioned in some way that he learned to ride, not that it would be of much importance, either that or a little thing where some guy asks you to show him your riding skills in a game of jousting or something xD

yes possibly as this could serve as a tutorial on horse riding for the player :slight_smile:

[quote=“strikerjg1, post:3, topic:23331”]
I don’t see why a horse riding skill should augment the amount of stamina of the horse or allow him to carry more weight. This should be horse’s stats.
[/quote] well yes. maybe have it so as you ride more your skill grows as your skill grows it allows you to train your purchased horse thus increasing the individual horses stats to a higher level .

this way you could purchase a cheap horse at the start of the game which you get to know (jerry your trusty horse ) and keep with you throughout the game and train up and you level up so by the time your around the end of the game your horse would be much better than anything available on the market .

or you could just pay the large sum of cash and get an already levelled up horse

1 Like

Maybe as you level up in your riding skill you become more proficient/ gain the ability to use certain weapons while mounted like the bow and longsword.

2 Likes

Not sure if I want the blacksmith apprentice to not know how to ride a horse. I do like the idea of maybe a stable hand giving you pointers about riding (like a small tutorial). Our something like that. Your idea about having a mechanic to look after your horse would be super awesome. I mean, we are talking about the same game that makes you mix your own concoctions with raw material found in the wild. It would be amazing if you could brush your horse and give it food (maybe to partially replete some of its stamina bar). It would also be cool if the horse’s stamina bar would slowly deplete over long rides. Then you would need to let your horse rest after a day of riding. Some horses would have more endurance and last longer or go faster than others.

1 Like

riding horse isn’t simple thing, so quick tutorial might feel silly. i feel a lot of skills we have to assume henry simply picked up as a medieval denizen.

1 Like

Are there going to be donkeys? They were cheaper to buy and maintain in the medieval times than horses. They were used for trasporting goods up to 150 kgs but also people. Also for religious reasons they were assumed to be closer to God (coz Jesus rode on one through the gates of Jerusalem). The downside is that they were and are very stubborn. :smile:

4 Likes

Yes, I thought about that and rapidly (maybe too rapidly ?) concluded that is a slippery slope because if you go that way then everybody should have stats that can be increased (you fight a bandit, he runs away, and next encounter he may have evolved).

But I don’t disagree with your idea, maybe the horse can evolve if you train it well.

BTW, I agree with the idea of " a mechanic to look after your horse". In that times a horse was a very valuable animal. If you let it by it’s own 1 hour, I think you can expect the animal to be gone (looking for food or stolen)…

==OFF TOPIC==

Donkey owners and professionals agrees that donkeys are not stubborn but are smart and have a good memory. That’s why they can refuse to do some kind of things if they had a bad experience related with the said thing (like walking by live water, this kind of stuff).

2 Likes

Hi,

I’m an actual rider and I agree with this, there is loads of little things that a rider can do to increase the horses response to commands, such as better rein control or maneuvers like leg yielding, rein back, using spurs, etc etc the opportunity is almost endless.

Regards,
Warrior Rose

2 Likes

Yes, the lack of donkeys is terrible in most games. If there won’t be a donkey in the game I’ll mod one. :smiley:

4 Likes

A few villages over where I live, two donkeys attacked a few years ago an old man on a scooter.
I do not remember reading anything further about the official investigation, but I hope that I can ride those beast into battle in KCD. :sunglasses:
(Wielding a katana. Naturally!)

1 Like

could be interesting for you, who have nothing to do with horses, as all people have a wrong idea about fighting on horseback.

Baroque fencing, which evolved out of the medieval fencing
Riding in armor of the 1470s
These are the techniques you need to fight on horseback

No. Just no. Those videos that are given are very bad examples. There are so many things wrong with this, no offence to you or the performers. Not to mention what they are doing is giving a bad impression to how people fought on horseback, with sword or lance. Sorry if it seems like a mini rant but it needs to be said as this thread has been necro’d.

?
I chose those as I had no video about Pluvinel and his fencing techniques. Wolfgang Krischke does everything right, he stays in a collected canter, always, while he 's fighting. While most of the people who say they are fighting on horseback can 't even ride a proper Mezair. I can’t do so either… but I never said I can fight on horseback. The second video was to show some of the folks the mobility in armor on horseback and the work with the garrocha is just perfect for this purpose. The last one shows the baroque riding techniques which evolved from the 15ct war-riding. Except for the spanish walk, guess no one has ever died thanks to a horse performing a spanish walk ^^

The ultimate goal is to get as collected as possible and Wolfgang Krischke shows this in a perfect manner. There 's a reason why some people call his stallion the last warhorse…

This one gives also a good impression, but not all of the horses are trained to work with Mezair, they all work in a collected canter but not as much as it was done “back” then, probably.
St. Hallvards Tournament

It’s just me being nitpicky. I agree, a spanish walk is odd but have you seen a icelandic trot? Also, his horses are very resistive of his commands and seem to enjoy bucking. That isn’t collected to me, I don’t feel that rider and horse and in sync with each other very much. Nice tournament though, I only dreaded when some of those riders didn’t keep their heels down D:

About the heels down, have a look at this:

I’ve been riding island horses for 5 years… but I always got the one who trotted. I did ride some others, too. But their walks weren’t really clear, some combination of trott and Tölt. It probably didn’t work as it should have due to my incompetence. '^^

His horses aren’t bucking they are galloping on the same spot. When you slow down and get to gallop on the spot, but can still see that one foot moves before the other. Like it does in a normal galopp it’s called “Terra-a-Terre”. When the horse gets to the point where the feet move synchronous it is called “Mezair”. (The fronthooves rise and sink at the same time, with no delay, same goes for the backhooves)
And when your horse gets to do “Mezair” but does not rise so high anymore it it’s called a “Courbette”. When your horse can do the courbette it can move backwards, to right, left, forward and turn on the same spot. In most depictions of the 15 century you will see the horse rising while the front- and backhooves are parallel. Like the one above. Or this one.

The left horse does the so called “Ansprengen” (sorry, don’t know the english translation), where the horse does a levade and charges into a full gallop. While the right horse seems to do a canterpirouette to the left. All this only works with a collected horse.

Another time the “Ansprengen” can be seen. Or his horse is rising during a mezair. Also look at the feet of the guy in the far back. This comes from using those warsaddles. Dom Duarte I. of Portugal wrote in his book of 1438 about the two dominant riding styles in europe. “A la Gineta” and “a la brida”, while gineta is the style the spanish vaqueros stil use today, the brida style went extinct in the 16th and 17th century. The gineta style became dominant in europe. Which turned into our modern riding styles. Characteristic for the gineta style are the short stirrups, while the brida style used long stirrups where it is hard to get your heels down. Also your feet are more to the front of the horse as in the gineta style. This can clearly be seen on depictions of earlier time. (Note this was caused by the construction of the saddle, you need such a saddle, otherwise these techniques won’t work.)

Gineta was used primary south of the alps, the style evolved under influence of the north african riding culture. Brida was used north the alps, especially in modern france and germany. This also is an error in KC:D, as the stirrups are to short in the game '^^ Maybe they’ll change it one day.

The newest translation of Dom Duartes Book is called “The Art of Riding on every Saddle”, Dom Duarte King of Portugal, circa 1434, Medieval Horsemanship: Equitation, Hunting and Knightly Combat with Lance and Sword. It 's a good book, but many questions are still unanswered like, how did they educate their horses?

Btw. if you like the tournament above, check these out:
Stichting HEI from the netherlands
Destrier from the UK
And another big tournament which was held in germany in 2012. And I wasn’t there :’(
Tournament of St. Wendel, Documentation
Btw. yes those are real lances and no there is !no choreography! those guys want to win!

2 Likes

You’re well informed, thanks I enjoyed reading that. I’m brought up country rider that does occasionally don some armour with it to. I know all about tactics and formations but it seems not enough about the actual paces and styles themselves (never really had the need). Also with the heels, how do you prevent foot entrapment? As they didn’t have heeled boots or heels down.

good question… I don’t know. If you really want to know write an e-mail to some of the guys mentioned above. Btw. if you ever want such a saddle, or a roman saddle, these guys make them: Historic Saddles
I’m not as well informed as I want/need to be… not yet :wink: Same goes for the riding skills, there’s a long way to go. Oh and if you are interested in seeing those guys in action and be able to chat with them, go to “Bexbach 1474 - Call to Arms”, in September 2016. You find some pictures easily on google picture search, from the last two events in 2012 and 2013. (Only the burgundian camp had cavalry)