Map of the Act I and some information about the places on it

I dont mind the size as long as its filled with lots of beautiful realistic eyecandy.

So according to you suggestions I adjusted the map and replaced Melnik for Stribrna Skalice. I also add the mark for castle. :slight_smile: Melnik was just a blind shot :slight_smile:

The different types of terrain affect walking speed? Walking on the street is much faster than in the forest, for example.
It would be interesting to avoid trace a straight line and go, avoiding shortcuts, that would certainly make the map smaller.
(sorry for my bad english)

1 Like

Excellent work !!!

However the size of the map not really matter to me : a huge map as Skyrim means the same dungeons and environment repeated in loop. A medium size map sounds great : various environment, places and dungeons.
And even if they were doing a huge map, I believe theyā€™ll do a gorgeous work !

Stream Map Section

. . .

I tried my best to align it with the help of an transparent layer but the proportions are too different. Also, some roads are removed, completely new or got other connections etc. For example, he was riding straight forward on the road and just before he arrived at the stables there was a slight right curve. No connection to the red building near the road triangleĀ¹ anymore. Another thing, the ā€œForestā€ on their map is in the center and thereā€™s no town (Ledecko) north of the spot where the river is widerĀ² (left edge of the screen).

reference points: 1 & 2 + start of the oxbow in the south + player position (centered between northern <=> southern edge of the screen)

How did you create your map?
Whatā€™s the name of the font?

2 Likes

If the map here is the same size as the one of oblivion im very satisfied!

Yeah, it took him a while to ride to the stables.
Thus, I think, the map is not too small. :smile:

I hope, @OmarTheBest can incorporate the section of the in-game map they showed in the stream into his map in the first post. Maybe something like the pictures with the viewing cones. Just to get a sense of the relation between map size and movement/travel speed or something.

Looks good so far. Perhaps about right and bearing in mind there are still a further 2 acts I am certain the map size will grow yes?

No, each act will have a map of its own. You can travel between the maps at will, sometimes you even have to (quest) :wink:

I originally posted this response to @Cerberus, when he posted the map from this thread

Itā€™s interesting that you have a map. Iā€™ve been discussing whether or not camping is necessary, over at

But I assumed that the players resting place was in the middle of a square map. Now I have the map, it would be interesting to see, what the average travelling distance/time to the nearest town is. Just to clarify: Iā€™ll assume that you spend an equal amount of time at every point on the map. (roughly)

So here goes. First we have to translate the map into something we can work with. I since the area of the map is supposed to be 9 km2 I made an overlay grid of 3x3 and fitted it over the map.

Now we denote the coordinates of the towns ((0,0) is in the lower left):

• Strbrna Skalice (0.5, 2.8)
  • Talmberk (1.7, 2.2)
  • Mrchojedy (1.1, 2.0)
  • Samopse (0.75, 1.8)
  • Sazava (0.5, 1.35)
  • Neuhof (2.6, 1.1)
  • Ledecko (1.4, 1.0)
  • Vranik (0.3, 0.65)
  • Rataje (1.75, 0.3)

Next, we have to get a representation of the player. I generated n (5k) points randomly placed around the map. Now every point ā€˜findsā€™ the closest city, by calculating the length to every city and finding the smallest value.

We store these values in a parameter ā€˜Dā€™. Now we find the average distance:

\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^nD(i)

Before we continue, Iā€™d like to give a small presentation of what we have done:

This example uses a much smaller value of n, though (2k). The red points, are the exact locations we defined the towns at, and the blue lines represent, what town each point found as itā€™s closest.

And here with the original n-value.

The red points represent the positions, that are outside the average distance to a town.

Over a course of ten runs, I found the average distance to be:
0.47 km
With negligible uncertainty.
I also found the max distance to be:
1.49 km

In my older post I calculated the amount of time it would take to travel back. Iā€™ll skip the calculations and just give you the results.

Average travel times:
thorse = 0:47 --gametimeā€“> 00:15:40
trun = 2:49 --gametimeā€“> 00:56:24
twalk = 5:38 --gametimeā€“> 01:52:48

Max travel times:
thorse = 2:29 --gametimeā€“> 00:49:40
trun = 8:56 --gametimeā€“> 02:58:48
twalk = 17:52 --gametimeā€“> 05:56:36

Tune in next time for road preferring and obstacles. I hope.

7 Likes

So, either they moved Neuhof from (2.6,1.1) to the new spot (2.7,0.9) or Neuhof (the stables) is a completely new spot. This would mean the red rectangle is something else. How do you decide to incorporate this into your calculations?

btw: Neu = New; hof = yard

What Iā€™m wondering is how the millerā€™s daughter got a wounded, unconscious Henry from Stribrna Skalice to Rataje at the start of the game. Donā€™t tell me she carried himā€¦

1 Like

Took a boat? :smile:

Amazing job. It looks great, but would it be possible for them to expand the map after Alpha/Beta if it showed that the landscape got too overcrowded?

Source http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Spezialkarte_4045_Kuttenberg_und_Kohljanowitz.jpg

Even if this map is not of the time period I think they just took the name of that location. As you can see it is not far from Rattay (Rataje). => Seems to be a big enough map.

Strong female character, you knowā€¦ :smiley:

great map good size and its not the size but the time it takes to move through the landscape that give the place a real feel, I see large rivers will boats be availabe (can we build our own). will map reading / orienteering be a specifc skill to learn / aquire or will our caractor be the only one in the land with ordance survey accuracy?

Why did this thread die? It was so promising!

1 Like

Well, most of the news about the map are spread in the forum.

The Map is bigger now, around 12kmĀ², opened in the nothern east and there is a new village called ĆšÅ¾ice. This village had a church which was burned down during the hussite-wars, so we may see in the game. The church was also rebuild after the wars, so today there is still a church in the village, but it not the same as the one we will may see in the game.

One thing to keep into account is that comparing this game to GTA or Far Cry isnā€™t good comparison because there are fast traveling vehicles in that game. Walking/running/horseback riding is going to be much, much slower than driving a car.

With that said, Iā€™m glad the map has increased in size.

I hope the game doesnā€™t have fast travel. If it does, at least implement it more realistically (you have to travel to a carriage location first).

3 Likes