Medieval resources and economics

If you’ve been grinding a lot, you’ve got a lot of coin that you can’t do anything with. that to me sums up a lot of resources in KCD. at some point, WH intended to integrate resources into gameplay more. we know this because WH flirted with having a smithy to make armor and/or weapons.

now, that i’ve had my fill of enemy killing (+1500) , i’m interested at looking at other ‘stuff.’ in particular, the different occupations (evidently codified in WH as social class) and the putative resources they have or would need to acquire. there’s a point at which Henry is talking to Sir Radzig at Neuhof: the long version of Henry’s update provokes an observation that he didn’t realize all the charcoal needed to supply the smithy, etc. this resouce creation/provisioning is what I’m interested in.

I don’t mod but would like to support efforts to create resouce-related mods… the info here is intended to help operationalize any such efforts. for anyone who has played or is a fan of Fallout 4 (FO4), there is a collection of mods called SimSettlements/Rise of the Commonwealth (link). Ideally, i hope the info below could be used in supporting the creation of a highly modified, medieval/KCD appropriate version of the same.

feel free to add info and comments.

Czech info posted when possible

FOOD and AGRICULTURE

class distinction - barley, rye, oats for poor; wheat for governing class [beyond scope of current KCD but class distinction in diet was real in medieval times; wheat leavend bread would’ve been for Capon etc. barley, rye, oats flatbread would’ve been for the lower class along with a greater prevalence of porridge/gruel]

diet composition - during medieval period, proportion of cereal went from 1/3 of total diet to 3/4 by time of KCD. bread gradually displaced porridge and gruel

bread - leavened bread was wheat in orign and associated S Europe (warmer regions) ; unleavened bread (flatbread ) was barley, rye, oats in origin and associated with N Europe and higher altitudes; estimated consumption 1-1,5 kg of bread per person per day [so how much barley/rye/oat/wheat is that?]

fields - 3-field system introduced to Czech lands and adopted more over time. peasants were tenants who worked one-to-several strips of land (strip farming - evident in some of KCD landscape). fields were alternated in 3 yr cycles (hence perhaps the large amount of fallow land in KCD). production was relatively low at 1:3 to 1:8 (seed:harvest).

[there are villager NPC who seem to perform some farming type animations but there is no farmer social class in KCD.]

TIMBER, LUMBER, CHARCOAL

wet wood to charcoal conversion - 7 units of wet wood needed to make 1 unit of charcoal (per FAO) [unit of charcoal in KCD is small. if lumber trade or provisioning to charcoal burners were a mod, either a higher unit of weight would have to be created for charcoal or charcoalburners/ sellers would need high(er) count in inventory]