Melee combat interface suggestion

Recently I’ve watched beta gameplay video, because I’m waiting for my digital PS4 copy and can’t afford to participate in beta-test myself. And the guy in the video was so frustrated with the combat, because the star that indicates direction of the attack and block is so tiny, that it can’t be noticed in the middle of the sword fight. Warhorse guys, do you consider making it easier to notice? Like making the star much bigger, so it would be easier to aim. Or leaving this five little rays, but increase the radius like ten times.

Here’s this moment in the video btw (in russian mostly)

For other people it is already so big that it is annoying, and they want to have even less. It is difficult to make it in a way that everyone loves it.

6 Likes

It should be simple enough to modify the scale. I don’t think you notice it after a while and it just becomes instinctual.

1 Like

I do play the combat a lot. And there is one thing that takes a little bit time to used to.

After the attack, the sword stays in the opposite direction.

For example.

You prepare and execute attack form Left-Up position.
Now you want to make attack from Left-Down position so you instinctively just move mouse down.
But after the first attack, the sword is in Right-Down position, it did not return as in other games, and you only move it down (where already is)
So next attack will be actually fro the Right-Down position, the opposite direction you wold expect.

As I said, it takes few training combat to learn that.

*Edit: Oh, and I wrote that because I think it may be the true source of the problem, not necessarily the star.

Obvious decision would be to make several scales and let the player choose which one suits him best. I believe some people would aim better if the crosshair fits the size of the target, while other ones would be happy with no crosshair at all, because the process is intuitive enough for them. Adjusting the crosshair would be perfect right during combat by pressing single button or scrolling mousewheel, not in the depths of the options menu.

I belive the problem is you search for the arm that you want to attack, you find that arm (or leg) and then you have to look at the crosshair to figure out the position of your weapon, then you have to switch the weapon in the right position and then hit. All of this you need to do in one second. And finding the crosshair and reading it takes too much of this time because it’s small, so you have to look carefully. It would be easier then if the rays would be right on the parts of the target. If you need to attack an arm and you see the ray of the crosshair right on it, then you just look at it untill it’s red, then hit. No need to look away.

It’s like Fallout 4: the selection of the part of the body you want to shoot is always right on the body, not on some little picture at the bottom of the screen.

Since you haven’t had the chance to play the beta yourself let me butt in with 150+ hrs. of play time.

The “combat star” becomes useless after you learn how it works. Combat moves far too fast to check which way your aiming.

After awhile it all becomes second nature becuase you can see your arms and sword and which direction your aiming without the star.

4 Likes

I think this would be an option for the hardcore mode. No star and no hud. :point_up:

3 Likes

You do not aim for specific part like that in Kingdom Come.
The star (the view) is locked to you foe and you can’t move it to his hands or legs. All what the star does is that it shows the position of the sword at the moment which tells you what attack will follow.

The star is, in fact, absolutely redundant. You can see where Henry is holding the sword and that your camera follows the enemy.

1 Like

I already play this way to be honest, its more immersive for me.

g_showhud 0 :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying it, guys! Can’t wait to try it out myself and wish to the team only the best solutions possible. :slight_smile:

2 Likes