Metabox gaming laptop - Poor FPS proformance

Hi guys,

I’m hoping someone will be able to help me out and let me know if my (older) gaming laptop is actually able to cope sufficiently enough to play this game with reasonable FPS or if its simply out of reach with my current setup thanks.

I purchased this game last night on Steam after checking the “Can I run it” website which said I passed the minimum specs but only ever so slightly missed the recommended with only 3.0GB dedicated V ram while it said it wanted 4.oGB everything else was a pass. Anyway loging into the game this morning absolutely beautiful cut scene running perfectly but upon gaining control of Henry I noticed horrible FPS whether it be in a building or outside. I tested it on both “high” settings and “low” and on high I was getting a completely unplayable 8-14 FPS and low settings a max of 27 but usually staying around the 22-24 mark.

Anyway here are the specs of said laptop if this helps possibly diagnose this issue.

Laptop is a custom Metabox Prime P650RE (Australian built machine) and is now just over 2 years old

• Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
  • Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache up to 3.50 GHz)
  • 8GB DDR4 2133MHZ Memory
    Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 SATA 3 SSD
    Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

I have a gaming laptop too.

• Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M with 8GB VRAM
    i7-4710MQ Processor (2.50 GHZ - turbo up to 3.40 GHZ)
    16GB DDR3
    Standard 1TB HDD (couldn’t afford an SSD too)
    Windows 10 64 bit

I play on medium settings, with very high textures and high water and get 48-55 fps.
From looking at your specs, you don’t have enough RAM (can easily add more)
Plus your graphics card isn’t that great anymore, (almost impossible to replace on laptops unfortunately)

Having said that, I am suprised you can’t get playable FPS on low settings, maybe someone more knowledgable can help you out - also check out the website “Game Debate” they can give you rough idea on how your system can run any game.

Don’t worry this game only takes up to 6,5 GB so 8 GB is enough unless you want to run programs on the background. But yes i am also experiencing your problem. My laptop has i5-7300hq up to 3.5 GHz and it runs really poorly especially in the cities. It’s not GPU problem (i have gtx1050ti) doesn’t matter if its high or low preset it’s always getting 15-35 FPS top. I don’t know if devs gonna make performance patch that fix it and if i were you i probably would ask for refund and check this game again maybe…next year. Don’t get me wrong its a really great game i enjoyed it, but for laptop owners like us its pretty much unplayable.

Beefy machine (OP), we need to check for bottlenecks.

This game is very cpu dependant. Latest patch seems to help multicore users most; some quad corers claim worse performance; so likely to improve…
Game has a few specific low fps areas; dont worry about them- ninja pcs still drop to 20s in a few key areas.
We should check if your cpu is bottlenecking your fps.
Set game to low res (eg 1280x720) and low detail.
Your video card should now be free from bottlenecking (if not- you are running your integrated graphics/intel video card for this game and need to force your nvidia card to take over).
Check your framerate at low detail low res. This is THE BEST your cpu can keep up with… (should be good and in the 40s+, yes?)

Run cpu-z (freeware and it doesnt have to be installed) and check you have ram running in dual channel mode. (Open world games need this). If ram is in single channel; add a second stick for dual channel mode.

Your vid card ram is fine… at 1080 and standard antialiasing it uses around 2.5Gb of video ram, and your m2 should move game data pretty quickly…

So lets check your cpu is spitting out enough frames, your ram is in dual channel mode, and you are using your dedicated gpu. (I use hardware monitor pro to look at temps- if your nvidia card isnt going up in temp on game start that is pretty obvious issue).

Also temps can check if your vid card isnt getting to hot (might be dust inside pc or might be blocked vents)… laptops and especially metaboxes, are generally desktop replacements and should be used at a desk…

I will keep an eye out for thread replies :wink:

I suggest that you use the file “Perf 8GbRam-3GbVideoRam-i7” located in the files tab of https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/482