Mid to End Game Combat is Dull

So I’m definitely sure I’m not the only one to say this, but the name of end game combat is Riposte.

Now I have mainly used a longsword, shortsword and a cuman axe in my play-through, all with no shield for the entirety of my gameplay. However, the way combat in mid to end game content is pretty well established in a sense that most NPCs that you come across whether they be low tier gear bandits or higher tiered and thus better armored enemies, all are subject to the almighty god-like move called Riposte. There is no beating it for them. The ease of executing this invincible counter-attack is so mundane that I am often annoyed whenever I do come across combat. There is no thrill, no skill and no more fun to it anymore.

What’s even more frustrating is in the way NPC enemies fight you. In mid-game, I already knew for a fact that any hostile that I encountered that did not have armor was literally a waste of time. No effort to kill and most of the time I did not even have to Riposte. Enemies that ARE armored, I just cheese by Riposting. What’s frustrating about this, is that the “harder” to defeat enemies are only harder because they perfect-parry you nearly the entire time. I cannot remember the last time I used a sword skill/combo. I repeat, I have not used a sword skill/combo in probably the past four days. Why? Because within the first or second strike, the enemy has perfect-parried me. So what is there left to do? Swing wildly at the enemy? The game mentions multiple times and Sir Bernard also states that’s not how you should fight. Well all that’s left is to Riposte and that’s all to it when it comes to mid to end game combat.

There needs to be a different direction taken when it comes to balancing the difficulty of enemies. They perfect-parry way too often and barely strike. I often find myself just standing still waiting for them to strike so I can just Riposte them. When out-numbered and believe me, I have put myself in a position to be outnumbered 8 to 1, I just maneuver backwards making a big circle while riposting.

Perhaps toning down NPCs chance of perfect-parrying and increasing their striking would suffice?
Also at the same time decreasing the window to evade/perfect-parry/riposte in turn as well.
Sure Riposte still exists and evading may be a bit more difficult, but I and hopefully other people would be more inclined to actually use the sword skills/combos that we worked to unlock. Perhaps then combat will actually feel challenging and not easily exploited.

6 Likes