Mirror Sword - 16bit HEMA Game

Someone Shared this on the HEMA group on Face Book thought people here may be interested.

They are launching a Kick starter campaign soon.

My first reaction was KC;D 16 BIT!

2 Likes

Dude, that is impressive.

Right! for a 16bit game I was rather impressed.

I wouldn’t know any better but many people have commented on how they didn’t think you would be able to differentiate techniques with 16bit graphics.

Im actually talking to the developer atm turns out were from the same town and I have been looking for a group to join.

Seeing this makes me want someone to do a true Medieval fighting game not unlike Soulcaliber, but all of the moves and techniques would be drawn from the historical manuscripts. Rather than different characters with unique move sets, players customize a generic avatar and instead have different weapons that can be selected, IE longsword, arming sword and buckler, halberd, polehammer, etc.

I could get behind something like that, if it had a kill system somewhat similar to Bushido Blade (i.e. no health bars)

I’d probably have different modes; IE something like Play (bouting with rebated weapons, IE non-lethal) and Duel modes. Play matches would score touches (successful hits), and would be non-fatal. Duels would be for real, with damage determined by physics and could be fatal. Maybe have a “hardcore” mode where losing in a duel could permanently cripple or kill a character.

Damn, now I want to write something up.

Idk if this is apart of one game or if the creator made this as standalone project either way it does look fun.

@TobiTobsen should share this with the WH team.

Just read on Facebook that Mirror Sword has been cancelled. Here’s their official announcement:

[quote]IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Unfortunately I am stopping development on the HEMA game. Sadly I just don’t have the time or motivation to complete it. I will start refunding backers however. I can do refund via private message or paper check. Message me directly and we can arrange the refund.

Thanks for your support! I am sorry I was not able to follow through on this.
[/quote]

Further details from the comments:

[quote]But I just think the game is not very fun. I think there are some big design flaws. The idea is that each opponent would have their own AI set and you would need to approach each fight differently. But I found that basically it just makes enemies a bit unpredictable.

In video games it is usually a good idea to have easily predictable enemies that are easily identifiable. That way you have multiple enemies and can learn how to defeat each one in your own way.

In the HEMA game there is 1 type of enemy but the enemy isn’t very predictable.

Also the tutorial section is way too long. I didn’t really design this with the whole “easy to learn. hard to master” mantra that is important to game design. For that reason combat is a bit complex and un-intuitive.
[/quote]

Looks like they have made the project files available here

Honestly, I disagree with him about unpredictable enemies being a bad thing. It works for certain types of games, but in others it’s much more engaging when you have to stay alert and can’t anticipate their actions.

Such a bummer!

I’m downloading the files and seeing where the progress left off.