Mod query : Reduction of wet surfaces and visiblity rain at night

Any mods out that reduce the reflection/glare/gloss on ‘wet’ textures?
And also that make the rain less visible and more transparent or virtually invisible?

These are particularly glaring (no pun)at night or in darkness.

Thank you

I’ve noticed what you are referring to. In some situations using Nighthawk in the rain causes the rain to look Lit up, like . . . wait for it . . . purple rain, puurrppllee rain . . . :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nah, I’m just kidding about the “purple” part. But the lit up part is a real thing I’ve observed and it is a bit "non-immersive. What it looks like is that, the nighthawk potion is being modeled by putting a non-directional light source in or near the camera the rain at a certain distance from the camera is reflecting this light source, so it looks like there is a “sheet” of lit up rain fall about 2 meters or so in front of the player character, but mostly invisible rain closer than that and mostly darkness obscured rain beyond that.

Thank you for the comment.

This is not uncommon among games though. Even when they have the technology they seem to want to make everything pop. It’s extreme in most cases and no different with KCD. I loathe that unrealistic plastic look.

I mean, whomever saw reflective soil…and at night?

Also, the rain directions need variety. Too often the rain is coming down at a strong angle as if it is a hard rain being blown by a hard wind. Yet it’s sunny outside, there’s no wind of note and the rain is softly pattering.

1 Like

Agree, the “glisten” effect from surfaces being moist in low light conditions with some random light hitting them could be toned down. I think it is a real thing (meaning, wet surfaces do glisten under certain conditions where it is dark and a light source bounces off of them); it just needs to be redialed in the game I think.

I would be happy with it being toned down for sure. It would be nice if this was an adjustable effect!
Maybe a certain cvar has control over it’s intensity.

delete my post

4 Likes

That is excellent thank you. I will have a poke around later though as a recommendation, what do you suggest the values be for both. I don’t want to hide everything per se.

The second screen shot looks much better where it concerns the plastic/reflection, however it seems to be a lot of light projection from the fire. Maybe then the third image is more realistic?

For the rain, I wouldn’t want to change amount as I hope that the game decides that at random, meaning all storms are different however the camera distance entry is interesting. That could at least make it less visible to a degree.

Maybe something along the lines of a ‘1’ value

delete my post

3 Likes

Been focusing on the e_ShadowsCastViewDistRatioLights = variable and despite changing the value, it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I should correct my previous concern, in that it’s not only wet surfaces. it’s surfaces hit by light. Particularly on the ground. Maybe it’s about reflection as well.

delete my post

Thank you. I do like the reduction in range of lighting as shown in your original images using that ratio cvar. I am hoping i can get it to work.

delete my post

If I understand correctly, the problem is that certain surfaces are too reflective.
I think that the main problem is not in the lighting, but in textures. Every texture has its own gloss map, which determine how is the surface reflective.