Monastery Questline Help

wow, I have to say…I do hate this monastery quest plus all underquests there…my way was to get out of there as soon as possible…luckily…my poleaxe bugged into my inventory so I dropped it…took it and killed everyone…run away…and even not getting dice or anything you can continue the main quest line…( I have to warn you there will be struggle tho) but IF youa re a poleaxe blessed guy…YOU WILL BE OK :slight_smile:

I dont know if still possible but in older versions you could kill Circators before they got seek and destroy mode (in that mode they ignored stealth 20 see player everywhere) and drop their bodies outside monastery, when you drop them inside - someone will find them and would be expelled.

Last time I tried to murder the circators, all the guards in the monastery spawned in about 4 seconds in the room. I found that a bit unrealistic, but whatever. You don’t need to kill them anyway, just join them in drinking and gambling. Next time you’re caught, they’ll just say something like “hello brother” and leave you alone.

Did you tried stealth kill (you need dagger in inventory for that) at night without witnesses? I never find where are if circulators sleep i think that during night they are drinking at cellar, or moving in floors… You need them alone.

Maybe i was somehow redone in game and its now impossible even stealth kill them.

Whole monastery sessions is hight annoying, i hate that do something and use waiting function gameplay… Best strategy is probably quickly go Pious outside and inside less time as possible and other quest return to monastery and loots everything at night… I did looting before and i have problem to find enough food to buy lockpicks, because fodd already looted.
Im also not sure if some monks have monastery key which could be pick pocketed … so you will not need locpicking… or its possible place lockpicks to monastery before quest…

Safe to say my 2nd Henry will not be sampling the monastic life. I plan to simply walk through the front door during mass and murder everyone, Pious last.

3 Likes

There’s a lockpick behind the altar in the prayer room. Possibly more in other obscure areas.

2 Likes

So far, on the ps4 I have found no way to complete this quest without the monastery daily routine notifications popping up for the rest of the game. And it drives me crazy.
So… I just put this quest off till last, and then start over at the beginning of the game.
I’d like to know what happens after this quest… but I will never know until the post monastery quest nofication bug is fixed.

Yep, so, even while knowing who Pious is, I quit the game during this quest. I go back every once in a while and try to get through it, but every time a circator runs up to arrest me, my blood begins to boil and I close the game out. I like the idea behind the quest, and there were other rpgs I remember with quests where you lose all your stuff and need to get through a section as a prisoner in the enemy base (Fable comes to mind). But this is just… so incredibly frustrating. The ease with which the circators detect and arrest you, if you’re off your schedule even a little, and just… the wonkiness of it all… egh, yeah, I no longer have that kind of patience. a HL2:EP2 commentary node once said something along the lines of “if the player is laughing as they die, it’s good, and if they are smashing their keyboard, then the design is bad”. I skip the keyboard smashing and just close out the game. I really like the fact that this game exists, but kind of regret getting it lol.

You can get the circators off your back if you wander down to where they drink at night, and gamble/drink with them a bit.

3 Likes

hey bros - my third time playing through and I waited until speech was 18 and lock picking was master. this place is a piece of cake. go in before hand, unlock everything. get all the torn pages. bring a bunch of potions, stash money and food where you want. steal the books. once the quest starts you can pretty much come and go as you please.

3 Likes

I liked the quest…well that’s because I did a trick. Before I put my belongings into the chest, I actually broke into the main hall of the Monastery first. All the way to the far left in the front you will see what looks like a cabinet. I broke up in the cabinet and stored some important belongings I thought I might need inside the monastery. Afterward I joined and the stuff I had put in the cabinet was still there. I stored a sword a bow and arrow several potions, put in a ton of lockpicks. I pretty much had everything I needed inside the monastery. Of what I didn’t have I was able to sneak out of the monastery in the middle of the night go to the chest that I put my belongings in and take stuff out of that too and come back. I took a bow and arrow in the middle of the night and shot the cicators while they were down in the basement… since the whole Quest of electing a new Abbot is broken, I really didn’t miss out on much except I never had to worry about where I was, and what I was doing for the duration of the quest. I could easily go up to my room and pass time or wait in an area without getting caught by them.

i stole the keys from Prior, got the blood, got arrested for the 101st time, next morning i did not have the keys or the blood (i had talked to Pious so i supposed he got them?) but when i try to meet pious during or after mass he doesnt react, he just stands next to the dormitory with Another novice for a while
Edit: i tried knocking out the Prior again but he does not have the keys anymore

FIXED IT: i Knocked out Pious during the night, stole back the keys and blood, and the next evening mass he was waiting for me in the dormitory

playing this frustrating quest multiple times. was midway through before the latest update.

1. i’ve reset back to the start of the quest.
  2. immeditaly let myself to be poisoned.
  3. goat skin already there along with the list. I’ve tried both grabbing it immediately or waiting a day after I fill in the order form.
  4. BUG: I’m stuck at Antonius continually sleeping. during the day, night… no way to wake him up and tell him I have all the things.

spoilers ahead

This quest is a weird one…

I killed antonius via the dialogue after eating the poisoned food… only the quest was not completed through that and I had no way to get out of the monastery (the guy with the lockpicks wouldn’t talk to me). I ended up knocking almost everyone out to loot them to try and find some lockpicks or keys but no luck.

In the end I started a fistfight in the garden with everyone around, which somehow caused the guards to enter the monastery taking me to sassau jail and out of the monastery.

I have now finished the game and have had the daily monastery side quests (eat with others, go to work etc) starting and failing every single day since that happened.

Such a buggy quest. But then again it’s not the only buggy quest around in the game.

This one is worst one.

2 Likes

I detested this quest too, how I got out of it was:

a) Go upstairs to sleeping quarters, use door closest to stairs, in that room is a loose tile, below are 200 coins and a jeweled dagger

B) Go downstairs, then downstairs again, into an area where it says you are trespassing. Wait and you get accosted by a monk, give him lip and you get kicked out when he finds the dagger in your possession.

c) Get your gear back, climb scaffolding, jump onto monastery roof, Antonius is gardening below (in novice outfit)

d) Draw sword, jump down and kill him, steal the die from his body

e) The guards come, surrender (press G), spend 9 days in jail, then you are free, with all gear, and quest is over.

Seriously this is the worst quest in the history of the universe. Not the idea behind it, I would have appreciated that if it was well executed, but it really, really, really isn’t. The schedule you are given so you know what to do lies. A lot. It specifically states that the activities you have to attend at certain times are the ones with exclamation marks, but you will get reprimanded for deviating from the schedule even if you finish eating sooner and try to leave the room. And honestly, watching an animation of an empty wooden spoon glitching through a wooden bowl full of light red polymer cement is something I seriously don’t want to do for a full two in-game hours. Same goes for getting up in the morning. The schedule says the day begins at 3 in the morning and prayer starts at 4, but god forbid you try to leave the dormitory before 4:10 AM - which is the most retarded part, the quest doesn’t update at the exact hour or a bit beforehand so you can get to the next objective in time, it updates slightly behind schedule. I’m seriously considering just murdering everyone in that bloody monastery at this point just to be sure that no one else in the game world will ever be subjected to this bullshit again.

Okay, the easiest way to do the quest; it all has to do with the monastery key, it’s in the back of the dining room through a door on a shelf. You’ll have to look up where it is but once you know it’s location, this quest is a piece of cake.

After you get poisoned, stay in that room where everyone sleeps until nightfall (about the 21). Wait or sleep or both. Then go back to the dining room, and stop at the table with the piece of paper to order the goats blood, then go into the back room where the key is. Get the key and there’s a door in that same room that it’ll open. LEAVE. You can literally just leave the monastery.

I had a room at the nearby inn. I just stayed there and read. 24 hours go back (at nightfall! Do NOT GO BACK DURING THE DAY) you can go back in through the same door and get the goats blood off the same table. then go upstairs back where everyone is sleeping, wait by antonius (he’s in the middle of the room) until he wakes up at 4, talk to him and he’ll tell you to meet him at the dormitory, which is right in the back room there. go to the dormitory and wait awhile, meet him there and voila.

that’s it! quest done. No bullshit work, no stupid crap.

Can’t believe no one came up with this simple solution. Have a decent bow skill, with a nice bow and arrows, climb the scaffolding overlooking the courtyard and save. Wait hr. by hr. until the white robed innitiates are gardening. Save again then shoot the one with black hair till you get a quest update. This tells you which one he is. Reload and kill only him. No suicide jump or monastery crap needed. I found this quest too tedious so I tried this, and it works. If you spoke to Radzig he warns not to kill him but he doesn’t even chastise you when you do.

there are a few ways to do this quest , you can find the monastary key at the back of the kitchen/dining area , also you can skip through the routines just be where you have to be and skip time , you dont even have to kill pious to complete the quest