Mordhau Alpha general impressions

So i played the Mordhau Alpha for several hours yesterday and since it seemed that many people on here were looking forward to it, i thought i would make a thread about it.

Keep in mind it’s in alpha so many of my complaints will probably be fixed before the game is released.

So I’ll start with the pros. The game runs really well on ultra, i get a solid 60 fps. The graphics are very nice, and there seems to be relatively few graphic bugs. In fact ive noticed hardly any bugs so far. The combat is enjoyable, and doesn’t feel identical to Chivalry which is something that worried me since i was bored to death of Chivalry after 1000 hours of playing.

The game features a large variety of weapons already, all feel pretty good, and i haven’t really noticed anything that is OP. Your strikes feel like they have a lot of impact adding to the feel of the combat. Most weapons have two options available to them, with larger weapons like a two handed axe and spear, you can grip the haft in different areas increasing the speed of the weapon, but lowering the range. With the long sword you can flip the blade around and hit people with the pommel, which makes a big difference when fighting someone in plate. Smaller weapons like an arming sword can be thrown.

The game has a shit ton of armour settings, and weapons and armour is not class restricted like chivalry. In this way the game follows War of the Roses and allows you to make custom classes. There is broad customisation, with emblems, colors, different armour pieces ect.

Armor makes a huge difference in game, with unarmoured people dying in one to two strikes (one shot if you hit an unarmoured head with a larger weapon).

Now for the cons (which are surprisingly few given it’s an alpha). The rag doll is (although there are some nice death animations) atrocious, and there are sometimes ghost swings in combat, and issues regarding blocks not working properly. Ping can wildly fluctuate, which definitely doesn’t help with the ghost swings and occasional blocks not working. The game is also very slow, much slower than shown in the trailer, and can sometimes give a slow motion impression. Strikes from your weapons also seem to have ghostly ranges from time to time, and you’ll accidentally TK quite frequently to teammates you would think are out of your range.

Other complaints are lack of content, but it’s an alpha so i wont count those. There are currently four maps, and three game modes. A last team standing style game mode, with multiple rounds but only one life per round. A team death match, and a free for all.

Overall i think the game has a lot of promise and potential and it’s very fun to play, it certainly isn’t anywhere near the realism of K:CD but i would say it ranks above Chivalry, War of the roses, and Mount & blade in that department. It truly feels like it’s own game.

5 Likes

Are you running off of amd processor by chance?
When you say slow, is it still faster than chivalry?
Thanks for making this thread as I am interested in this game, but not for the price they ask for it right now…

Anyone got a spare key?

Yesir.

No i’d say slower. I had a chance to pump more hours in today, and i like it more and more each time i play. The slower pace just takes getting used to. Speed is closer to War of the Roses than to Chivlary.

Do you, by chance, own a spare key?

Unfortunately i do not, my Russian friend.

Played for a bit, guess i was hoping for it to be more different from Chivalry than it is. Ultimately so far it seems that if you were good at chiv you will be good at this. Same general principle seems to apply: get the longest weapon + smash that swing button = profit (not in 1v1 probably). Customization options are cool though.

overall I would say is pretty good. Indeed is pretty similar to chivalry, but better in every aspect. I’m not impressed nor disappointed.

I’ve noticed one thing that I don’t like at all, and is the abuse of the sprint hability while fighting. It’s a bit ridicoulous and don’t have any stamina cost.

Will see how it evolves…

the armor design is seriously unpleasant. i cannot take devs seriously, who are not themselves bothered by mixing of 13th and 15th century technologies.

2 Likes