My Feedback on the feel of Combat

I also think it is a bit slow. My concern is about reaction of opponents. Like they do not know what to do. You just bash them through shield and it is so easy to just raise shield. Or they simply wait till you do something. It is good they speak while combat but as someone said they do it mostly when they are hurt. While I saw boss fight in beta was hard. There is some proper combat. I also saw in one of first update videos about combat, there was opponent who did not hasitate and was swinging at you like crazy and you at him. It was very fast and that is what I would like to see more. I think Iā€™d there are weak opponents in the beginning area, it is okay, but later in game or in siege battles I would gladly see trained soldiers showing some more action. And though I know they want game slower or easier on purpose, because as Tobias said, he still struggles, I would appreciate to have difficulty option, maybe just boost speed of opponents and lower your hitpoints, I mean stamina. That smells like Mount and Blade, but whatever. I need to mention I liked stamina draining in Medieval Warfare. That game is very skill based like KCD plans to be as well. I know they clearly insiprared themselves from Witcher and Skyrim mostly but KCD seems a bit more distinctive from those two. Skyrim is lengthy and full of loot everywhere. I do not about W3 but as I played W1 and W2 they had nice story and realistic feel to it though it was full of magic and mythical beasts.

Iā€™m agree with you. When i fought at the arena with some opponents, after few strafe they were out of stamina and just staying and waiting for something. :thinking:

Can i ask how much you improved archery from last shown gameplay video, it feels like it was not touched since last beta update. Enemies can move forward even tho they shouldnt when get hit into stomach, head or legs, they atleast stop for sometime exception to wearing plate armor users where arrows deal 0 damage at all.
Just wow, show it to D. Vavra he will kick ur ass. (Polishing ?)

Holding A Halberd like a shortsword, in last gameplay, and hitting from distance like with Knife, bah, Handle does more damage I guess.

i honestly think making the movements faster, ie how they are in reality will be key. the stiff, loss of control feeling comes from having to wait out the animation of your attacks and other actions. in reality, many of those strikes are lightning fast. and seeing those things being artificially slowed down contributes to an unintuitive movement/striking mechanic since in your mind itā€™s contradictory to how it should be.

i understand the difficulty/playability argument, but ultimately i think itā€™ll become second nature. i think they should speed things up. the ā€œsword timeā€ thing they have already fixes the problem of not being able to effectively counter attack or riposte.

5 Likes

Speed it up as much as you can, I say. Difficulty settings should be put in to allow for player taste.

I agree, it should be faster. It needs to look and feel right as well as being functional. And games with similar combat systems have worked well enough with a little practice to the pace of things.

I will mention again, that it would feel a TON faster, if you didnā€™t have to stop fighting after EVERY combo. That probably doubles or triples the length of the fight, and gives the player the impression of sitting around waiting rather than fighting.

I get the impression that if we saw the demo with stamina more reflective to a living healthy person, our impression of the combat wouldā€™ve been much better. We still might want to speed up the fighting, but this psychological aspect should not be ignored.

1 Like

Devs better fix their whole game while we enjoy bannerlord, so yeah I would agree without a problem to delay the game to 2018 06

Checkmate Warhorse.

1 Like

bannerlord is coming out anytime soon?

Very unlikely. It will also be less realistic, for those who are concerned about realism. Of course, not getting exhausted every two seconds is a big step up in realism and gameplay.

TaleWorldsā€™ engine does seem pretty average really doesnā€™t itā€¦ I mean, by the time the game actually releases itā€™ll look even more outdated than it already appears. Shame.

3 Likes

Graphics are fine, a lot of nice touches like horse-fair physics. I donā€™t care so much about the graphics, as I do about the gameplayā€¦ which is many ways seems a replica of Mount and Blade. The best I can say for it is the expansion of features, like more men on the field and possibly some better formation and strategic AI.

2 Likes

bannerlord 2017 12 shhould come out. Anyway faster than kcd as it looks very incompleted yet.
Still same bugs and in beta, archer sucks, combat sucks, horse melee combat still doesnt work, hp/stamina system needs alot of work, weapon variety and usage,- halberd shouldnt be used as short sword, or be used in short distance as shown in Gameplay. 1v2 or 1 v3 combat looks like devs still not working on this situation, can be see nwhen you hit enemy into the back of enemy and stupid animation happens.

The halberd is used at distances quite comparable to those of the sword in one hand. It can have a longer reach, but the bulk of the work it performs in treatises is done at distances where both ends can strike without stepping - and a dagger could be used with a passing step from that distance.

After 8 years since their last instalment they are not fine, they are subpar at best.

So things War band already had with mods? I excused war band being basically a reskinned mount and blade, due to them being rather close in age, but theyā€™ve had eight years to work on bannerlord, and seemed to have only added a few new features.

Not to get off on this Bannerlord tangent too much but I have to agree. I like Taleworlds but good god they take wayyyy too long for what theyā€™re doing. And the visuals and animation could absolutely be upgraded. Once they have their mechanics done they should do a completely new art pass. If Star Citizen can hit Beta before Taleworlds can release Bannerlord, well then thereā€™s a serious problem given how relatively simple Bannerlord is.

2 Likes

Afaik newgine took them long time

First I need to say that the combat system is the best Iā€™ve played so far iā€™m really looking forward to play the final game.
I agree with some of the posts for improvements I think the combat is a little slow at times, in the perfect world I would like to see 2 improvements added:
1 -combat speed implemented in difficulty settings and dependent on your agility or skill.
2 - combo based damage - it,s there but need some more work, what I mean is that single blows imo need to do little to no damage and each consequential hit must do much more damage (itā€™s there but needs tweaking). Like the training fight in the arena - its the hardest opponent in the game because you need to hit him several times in a row to deal any damage t him (due to wooden sword you have :smiley: ). The problem I have with single blows dealing a lot of damage is that my last play through turned out to be hit and run and its very very effective but forces you to ignore the combat system (you can kill most opponents with 4-5 hits in the head). I likes it when you can stand still and focus on paring, blocking and hitting instead of ruining around in heavy armor and deliver a blow from time to time.

ps. Iā€™m a gamer not an martial artist, sorry for my bad English itā€™s my third language, keep up the great work it will be my favorite game even if its in the same state as the beta :smiley:ā€¦ just make the save/load to work properly :stuck_out_tongue: