My honest opinion on "From the Ashes" DLC

Part of me thinks they tried something but failed or ran out of time/resources. The shields in the armory aren’t stuck permanently. They’re attached to the wall with a weak ‘sticky’ … sticky enough to hold shield but not strong enough to put it back or replace with a different one

I knew someone would bring this argument to the table, and i agree. But i see my armor in cutscenes and conversations and the armor/garments of the NPCs suffers from the same issue.

Maybe this DLC is a urge to make some more money to pay the continue effort in trying to fix many bugs that this game still have?

1 Like

So there are 3 incongruous sentiments about Pribyslavitz said by WH:
-home
-financial management system
-role as bailiff

Home is where people decorate witth their belongings, bathe, wash clothes and make minor repairs to their clothes/shoes. None of these are a part of our KCD home :grimacing:

The threat of not being able to pay bills seems purely theoretical. Investment opportunities are limited to non-existent after the hamlet is set up.:roll_eyes:

The bailiff with no office, no reception area, no desk of his own. His ledger posing as a cookbook. He can’t tie up anyone. No pillory. No late night patrol to close down the hamlet.:smirk:

Aspects of each. But, each on its own fails

8 Likes

Yes. Like i said before, this DLC sounds to me as a quick money grab for WH to continue his projects.

2 Likes

I’m less cynical about their motive than their ability to resist rolling out grand but incomplete products

A Korean gamer-reviewer played KCD for a few-several months. He said something to the effect that KCD is great if you like eating raw pizza. A little harsh… but there’s an element of truth to the sentiment. Spend a little more time and finish the product up and KCD and ashes would be sublime.

Personally would rather spend $20 on fully baked pizza than $10 on a raw or half baked one

6 Likes

I feel the same. But for me is intriguing the motives behind so many disappointments, both in the base game and this DLC.

One thing is very true, the potential that this game have. If the game was 100% finished it would be the best game of the decade in my opinion. But as the time passes this potential lowers, and launching a disappointing DLC without the base game finished feels like a dick move to me.

4 Likes

He wasn’t given a village, he was given a burnt out place.

4 Likes

i can´t understand, why the city is absolutely safe - there are no bandit or cumanian attacks - i built a watchhouse. I have guards and archers running around and nothing happens. Realism or not, i thought, the wolrd is in a civil war, but it seems to be completely peaceful, except some small bandit or cuman camps. So, from the ashes would be a great reason to implate attacks, more war in the wild etc. story said, the cuman where mercenaries who are paid with raids and looting. but where are they? c´mon, first minutes in game and you´ll see the big army outside of your town - later in game, u only see a few of them, somewhere in the woods inside a small camp or in ambushes. FtA should bring more war and management into the game. Recruit guards, equip them (i have a smith - he can create weapons and armors …), defend your town, call for backup, pay for your townguards, and a lot more stuff would be great. The DLC would have had a lot of potential. And why are there no more horsemen in the world? i am the only one, riding on a horse around… and there are no pedestrians… its a long way to real realism.

2 Likes

It was said Henry is 27 years old :see_no_evil:

But didn’t Henry do so much until then? Wiped out bandit camps alone, finding the culprits and so on?
Much more then the ordinary bailiff… So he imho deserves a reward in form of a home for himself (and mabe a family of his own)

3 Likes

Also I’m pretty sure back then it wasn’t unheard of. 27 was probably a ripe old age for a person who was going into battles alot.

7 Likes

Just as i said. In truth all of the game would have had a lot of potential, but many things was wasted i think this is because of the low budget for making the game. Another thing is that there is no wolves in the woods and no aggressive animals in the game. In 1403 the forests are so peaceful and the only peril was a cumman or bandit camp? Nonsense to my taste.

Sorry, i had no idea, thanks for clarify.

1 Like

@Vinicius: The average life span of the central European was 33.5 yrs. getting to 45-50 you were very lucky and considered very old. Getting through Childhood was a great challenge.
So Henry in the game isn’t a boy.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve mentioned before that the story, as it is written, would make more sense if Henry was 16-18. But then we wouldn’t have the immediate options for boozing and wenching.

You are of course correct but when one looks at statistics like average lifespan etc one needs to take some things into consideration. The average lifespan you mention here also counts the many infants dying at birth or at a very early age, so it is fair to say that those managing to reach adulthood most probably reached a higher age than the average lifespan. In many cases way older than the average lifespan since it is needed to get the equation correct in regards to all those children dying before they even reach the age of five. In fact studies have been made in many medieval European societies that shows that if one reached the age of 21, the lifespan would be greatly increased. The average for a person for instance in England in the 15th century if they managed to reach 21 years old, the average lifespan would increase to 64.

But yes, Henry is definitely a man by any and every definition and not a boy. He would be seen as an adult in any late medieval society.

2 Likes

By the narrative of the story i got the impression that Henry was 18~25 years old because all of the NPCs talk to him like he was a boy and a infant entering in adulthood.

I’m from Portugal by the way, and here in the middle ages a boy was considered an adult by 15 years old and a girl by 12.

But all of these talking goes away from the topic at hand that’s it the From the Ashes DLC and the various opportunities that have been lost. Because for me this DLC was fun but frustrating, so many things could be improved/implemented.

In this stage of the DLC i do not recommend the purchase to anyone. Money throwed by the window. The fun that i had playing it do not correspond to the value in money.

4 Likes

And therin lies the rub.
We want to support the studio, but if we let the way be paved with accepting incomplete and ill thought out products; then we can certainly expect more of them.

Whilst I havent overtly roasted them for this DLC cashgrab, it is the massive ‘what the…’ it makes me feel that has me discuss it.

Given my love for their product and general praising stance for the studio- they are starting to make me question what they are doing.
Previously I had trust.
For a paultry bit of coin they choose to throw trust away is maddening.

In business, customer goodwill can easily add 10% value to the company (this metric is from the early nineties, before warehouse stores and cheapening products).
Modern business world acknowledges that we cannot compete on product or price, but SERVICE (not the video game industry obviously, where ‘product’ is what you live and die by).
Throwing away goodwill for less than 10% take is a sure fire downward spiral.

On reflection they may say ‘was it worth it’?

Cost to rebuild consumer trust? Priceless. (Mastercard add tagline)

6 Likes

That’s exactly how i feel about WH and KC:D at this moment. They are saying about this DLC that it was a “player community request” so like angels as they are, they throw in our faces this DLC with false promises, but in the end we are frustrated in a overpriced DLC compared to the content that it brings. A easy “money maker” for the cost of the trust we choose to have for WH and KC:D.

As you say Whitedragem, we end with a knife on our backs. We want to trust in WH, we want them to keep growing, we want KC:D to be improved and be the best game we ever play, but with this last “dick move” by WH they are loosing our trust indeed.

3 Likes

Has anybody rec’d acknowledgement from WH support relative to ashes feedback?

I haven’t. Sent feedback on the July 7th.

If WH is doesn’t make significant changes to ashes beyond adding a grindstone, I’ll continue to buy KCD DLC but my expectations won’t be very high

4 Likes

In my perspective, i will not buy anything from WH until i be sure of true value compared to the product, quality of it and achievement of my expectations in how fun and satisfied i could be with any other product from WH. In other words, i will deal with WH like any other developer like EA, Bethesda and others.

As for a feedback, how i can send one to WH too Frelmedieval? I have many things to say to them…

support@kingdomcomerpg.com