My honest opinion on "From the Ashes" DLC

So be prepared until the hell freezes to consider if you will buy or not…

1 Like

Sadly, I’m prepared.

1 Like

I think everyone who wants extra fortifications should stop now. There is a historical precedent that wouldn’t allow us to do this.

Others on this forum have suggested this, but instead of a “tower defense” activity, I think it would be cool if we were told about bandits in the area and we had to go clear them out. I know others have suggested the option to bring some guards with us.

I think what the DLC needs are just some personal touches to make the village feel alive:

*Armor and weapon displays so I can organize my own collections.

*Church bells (every other town/village has them)

*More people at the tavern —I’d love a future “night life” content update with dancing, drinking games, traveling musicians, etc.

*We are told no less than four times via in-game dialogue that there are expansions coming. There’s a whole bunch of empty green plots around hue village. We could have one or two more buildings (let’s be realistic) or even some farmland

Hops… as we have a brewery that makes hop beer and not gruit beer. Bohemia’s place in the hop beer (as opposed to gruit beer and ales elsewhere) should be played up. Especially given that Henry’s Skalitz home had hopvines. Pribyslavitz hopvines would be a nice accent to say home again

1 Like

That very ”historical precedent” was breached countless of times. And building simple palisades to protect a settlement from predators and things like that was very common. Hell, even the prostitutes at the bathhouses have “fortifications” in this game.

1 Like

Not to mention deer are hell on gardens and the tavern garden is wide open and vulnerable

A sneaky bastard would put up a faux/just because structure and the erect the fence wall and call it a courtyard or some such thing

1 Like

When you build an extended rathaus, it comes with fencing and entranceways, and with a guardhouse we also have some extra fencing. The village is only really exposed by the tavern

Have you even heard about palisades? Did you even paid attention to the start of the game in Skalitz? If you saw something around the entire city, this is a palisade.

What in lucifer’s name do you take this “historical precedent”?

What insanity…

2 Likes

We already have loads of fencing. Sure, they’re not Skalitz or Talmberg-level palisades, but I’m mostly referring to people who want stone walls and massive fortifications

Just want the bakery side fencing and ‘gate’ around the rest of Pribyslavitz … most especially at foot bridge (possible nest of vipers infiltration point) and tavern side enclosure, and for goodness sake can the Locator not upgrade that dilapidated bridge along with making good on the weir he said should be built

It’s not like it’s going to take 10 FTEs to develop and perform QA on

3 Likes

I have built every building possible, it took like one hour and the city is not very well defended despite the extended ratthaus. Palisades is more or less a must for a settlement in the middle of the woods. And I should know about historic precedent as I work as a historian, I get payed doing research about these things.

And even if we pretend there was some imaginary rule forbidding villages to protect themselves from the forces of nature and otherwise, a palisade or other form of walls would still be a nice addition to the game. Sometimes the entertainment value outweighs the realism, like how one can get fined for murder. In real Bohemia one would naturally not get fined for killing the entire city guard nor would that person be sentenced to days in prison.

The rules that WHs have cited about walls and that it was forbidden to build the is not entirely correct. The rule itself was created to control the wassals of the Emperor from building castles or equal fortifications without first getting permission from the Emperor. So one can definitely argue that a palisade is not even close to a castle or even similar to an equal fortification. Walls and even castles where built despite these rules, especially during times of weak central power, just like the 15th century. A great many castles where built during this era because the central power of the HRE had become eroded and the HRE was more a gathering of hundreds of independent states than one united Empire.

3 Likes

Again, I was referring to people who were requesting massive stone walls and the ability to build their own castles. Not necessarily on this thread, but I’ve seen those comments floating around

1 Like

I don’t know much about historical village and town layouts, but when people (and the devs) say hamlets wouldn’t really have palisades, I think the lack of resources at disposal used to be the problem. Now we should look at the reality that the game creates: Besides Divish’s conditions, Henry has free reign regarding the renewal and management of P.Slav and using the woods as he sees fit. Our bailiff has or will have piles of grochens and timber piling up. In my opinion without a lack of resources it is not justified to not build perimeter defences.

2 Likes

Still, personally I do not see a huge problem with building a castle etc. anything can be made possible and realistic as long as we accept that the Henry that we play in the game obviously did not exist and act the way we play him. If said Henry would have existed and doing all what we as players do, he would have been knighted and even become a lord by the qualities of his actions alone.

But sure, I do not think the FtA DLC ever meant for us to build castles and what ever as this is the first part of Henry’s story. So I agree with you that building castles etc would not fit the theme of the game and in the end we do not know what the games after this one will do with Henry and his story. The people on this forum asking for walls and stuff like that may just be disappointed by the lack of buildings we can construct. I know I am and I would have believed when I purchased the DLC that it would let me build way more constructions than we ended up with. The ratthaus is a disgrace as Henry do not even have his own room and he is supposed to be the bailiff, on top of that he has built the settlement with his own money. I do believe the guy deserves better than sharing room with three others.

5 Likes

Exactly I’d of preferred an awesome player home than this boring crap. It’s just a money sink which would be good if it was actually worth it. For a start there many other villages so why the fuck do I want to build one when I can use the others free, most people have finished the game so don’t need the money it generates. I just don’t understand what’s the point. Then again I’ve not played it, can just tell it’s shit.
Oh and it should be free as it’s practically a low effort dlc. They charged full price for a game in alpha state, fuck the game up with every patch and were suppose to pay for this. Don’t think so, this should be free as a damn apology if anything.

2 Likes

Perfectly put @Crusaderknight. That is one more thing who annoys me, the lack of realism. Every village in this era needs fortifications, even a palisade who has been used since before the Roman Empire.

@devfern93 Please be more careful about what you write. People do not quite understand what you’re referring to.

That is the main source of my disappointment with this DLC. Better to leave all ruined them deliver us a crappy DLC with so many limitations who in the end have no propose in the course of the game. Is this supposed to be our home? Our base of operations with all the services we need? We have to manage this place and make it prosperous for God knows why? I really don’t know and i still think this is a complete waste of time, money and our in game money.

I think that if you have the money required, you build any services you could pay, and to be realistic not fortifications as a castle would have, simply palisades for the village will do de job and continue to be in a realistic way.

So many wasted potential in this thing. I really hope when the hell freezes we will have mod support and the tools to make them. I’m sure that people with talent will bring us many fixes for the game, as well things that we need. If this DLC is completely modable we will see a complete renew of the village.

Modders do what the Devs can’t, that is fix the game and put it in the right track. I saw that many times with Bethesda Studios with her games since Oblivion (2006). And KC:D will be not different.

5 Likes

Well written post, I wholeheartedly agree.

1 Like

I appreciate them trying to give us something to spend all that money on but I’d prefer a player home in the centre of the map with alchemy and all the shit we need, or give us loads of new armour and weapons, the best things to spend it on.

I believe they read the community wishes for a home for Henry. But… They were so focused on the technical limitations and whether this can be done, they abandoned all thoughts of Innovation. it seems like the actual fun and enjoyment department took a back seat.

Look I didn’t get this dlc. I waited to see some reviews. When I read some of the good honest criticisms from people that were not raging, but were just disappointed at how shallow the dlc was, I knew I could skip.

My biggest disappointment in Warhorse is that they squander so much potential yet again. They could be next level shit if they get their heads out of their computer screens and play the damn game. Look at it through an enthusiastic gamers eyes.

4 Likes

They could make a system for us to renew the house we gain in Talmberg, where the Master Hunter lives. That would be a great thing. Minor but great.

I can see some ways to make “workbenches” that do not require the service of a Tailor/Blacksmith to repair our things that reached 0 in durability. If they concentrated in that effort, instead of making a DLC more demanding like From the Ashes, the problem would be solved.

3 Likes