My honest opinion on "From the Ashes" DLC

It’s a great shame. Do you think I was even threatened to get kicked out of the forum because of my “acidic” comments on what WH has been doing lately? So I stopped posting on the forum because I was extremely disgusted. Now the policy is to shut up who does not agree with the crap they’ve been doing.

Out of curiosity, what happened exactly? You said in another comment that a WH worker threatened you…

Couldn’t agree more about taking wrong decisions with the DLC path/cashback lazy train, instead of focusing on polishing the game and adding the missing content (mounted NPCs, real large-scale battles, dynamic encounters instead of static boring ones, randomness sandbox, etc) as Vavra promised. I stopped playing the game after seeing serious unbalancing issues (e.g. need 6-9 arrows to be killed by a cuman archer despite being naked; e.g. you can kill with a short sword with low level and without combos a medieval tank in plate armour by just exhausting him, instead of being kind of forced to learn combos and/or use axe, mace, etc), and stopped posting in the forum when getting insults by console fan boys when they weren’t accepting the fact that KCD was originally planned for PC (have been following its development since a Youtube video in Czech was released in 2010/2011) and not for consoles, and only during the middle/last phase of development, WH were “confident enough” to release it in all platforms. It was a huge mistake, in my opinion, as we all got the unpolished game with missing content we know and some sort of disappointment feeling, instead of focusing first on releasing a polished PC version (as originally planned) and a bit later, making a console version of a final product (the other way around of RDR2).

1 Like

Larian’s D:OS2 comes to mind (<150 person studio put out on console about 1y after PC). Doubt WH would’ve released a console version as tight and stable as D:OS2.

Not a fan boy of anything. Just believe if you made the bed (market the product), lie in it (made good on it)

I made a quotation about an private incident that i had to tolerate in early August with a WH employee that made me angry as f#ck, but i don’t want to bring the subject in question nor the name of the guy who treated to banish me from the forum because of my comments. Let it be. I only mentioned it because this seems to be the policy they are taking now. They (Warhorse Studios) do not listen to his consumers and if you talk too much they want to ban you from the forum, that is the thing.

Thinkin’ that is what WHS should’a done instead of grabbing the low hanging fruit of the money tree that spoiled too quickly on them…

Can’t say if WH would be able to release a tight and stable console version, given already the optimisation/engine (whatever we want to focus the blame on, but it’s a bit of both and more focused on WH) even with the most powerful PCs (NPCs pop-in and so on). The basic principle is that when you get cocky and you open too many fronts, you end-up releasing unfinished things in life, or the quality has suffered due to the time limitation/team size.

I can assure that WH mostly don’t care that much about our feedback in this forum, as barely any feedback has made the tons of patches (already v.1.7.1 and game is unfinished… If this path continues, they’ll easily reach KCD 2.0 haha). However, they’re very focused on Twitter, where it’s easier to retweet the compliments, even the non-critical fanboys, and make the impression that there is no trouble. It’s a shame, many of us love/d the game and we are/were very receptive, it was like saving QA/QC team a lot of time and to focus where to look (even mods solve/d issues they’re still not even aware of, or they didn’t care to fix).

And waiting to 2019 (unknown date) to realease modding tools, so the modders don’t get your work done in a better way than shallow DLCs? It’s too soon to start copying bigger companies’ model of business…

2 Likes

Maybe KCD is just the body powered by the equivalent of a Lada or Yugo and it really doesn’t matter the order of implementation… never gonna run like a Bugatti or even an Evo for all users

but concentrating on one platform ,the PC would ‘a let them learn the ins an’ outs of their project before trying to do that for 6 different ones.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention that the “naked arrow issue” I mentioned before (e.g. if you go naked in front of an archer when going to a bandit camp/quest, you could just stand there and receive around 6-9 arrows until you die, so you’re not correctly penalised for taking the risk of not wearing armour in stealth missions) has been fixed by EkErilaz in the mod “Better Combat and Immersion Compilation” for KCD v.1.7.1, in case you’re interested. Cheers!

don’t disagree. just can’t get a comment out of my head: WH’s major investor isn’t in gaming industry. he (something to the effect) just wants to realize a (long term?) return on his investment. WH survived the fustercluck that was a multi-platform launch and the bugstorm that soon thereafter surfaced. +1m copies sold.

come on… you, me, WH forum faithful. we’re not going away (probably). loyal consumers still in evidence.

Larian’s approach makes sense to you and me, but what’s the objective business case to have done things differently?

@longshot300mag, @frelmedieval and @Jdofo .

All i can say in this stage of things is let this shit rot. There is far better games today for us to enjoy like Red Dead Redemption 2 (for those who like to play in consoles) and soon this game will come to PC. Another game in the horizon is Cyberpunk 2077 made by a far respectable company who really gives a damn for the consumers, that is CD Projeckt Red.

My respect for WH ended months ago when i understand his policy to not listen to his consumers and try to grab some easy money with this garbage DLCs. They didn’t finished KC:D to this date and the game was released in February 2018 if i’m not mistaking.

As i said, let this shit rot. The gaming market will deal with WH and give to them the apropriate answer, otherwise they would not be trying to grab any cash for a unfinished game and push this new shitty content in our throats not listening to the consumers.

Cheers folks!

understand.

i don’t know why WH isn’t more responsive. maybe Kickstarter gave donors a false or disproportionate sense of empowerment. at the end of the day, Daniel said they wanted to make the game they (he and his co-founders) wanted. if that means vignette DLCs (cash grabs to some), then thems the apples … suck as they might.

personally, i’m reserving assessment until after the expansion and bastards are released

1 Like

This is mostly problem of normal mode, if you ever played hardcore mode, you would get one shot into head and die. Realistic, I suppose. Other than that, if the enemy does not go down easy even if you hit him in the head, it is because you are inexperienced with bows, so the damage output is low. It is like throwing rocks which stick to their head. WH could make it different with the arrows bouncing of enemies if you are dealing very low damage because I get it when you see enemy with arrows in his body, especially head, but running healthy.

1 Like

True that I made the test on my last saves from Normal mode before Hardcore. I was going to restart for the 5th time but the final one, until I realised about this issue and couldn’t fix it myself unless tweaking ammo damage, which may have resulted in middle-late game even more unbalance.

I could confirm it if I finally recover the excitement to finally restart and finish the game, which it’s still a good one but not reaching WH overambitious goals/promised features at all. I don’t wish Historical RPGs die that soon after expecting them all my life (well, if this game can be considered as one despite its lack of randomness outside of the quests outcomes and its static encounters), so I still wish that WH release what they were trying to achieve, without the need to pay for DLCs of what should have been included in the final game. However, current trend doesn’t look promising at all, I can’t understand why they’re shooting to their feet with that insistence…

About DLCs. If you were backer, you get those promised features from stretch goals in price. Everyone else has to pay.

1 Like

I’m aware, thanks. Not buying DLCs until WH finish their duties. Not supporting this path…

1 Like

Kek. Those shitcars never gonna run like Evo for anyone.

An excerpt from a recent article retweeted by Daniel:

While Stolz-Zwilling is not concerned about the impact of the botched release [of amorous] on the fortunes of the upcoming DLC packs, he admits that “the hiccup definitely harmed sales at the studio and reputation and everything, so there’s something to be done now. I have to work against this.” Furthermore, he does not begrudge any fans who turn their backs on the studio as a result. “We are now actively approaching them when something writes a bad review about that it’s just one hour of questing or two hours or something. […] Some say ‘f*** you,’ but that’s fair because they’re just upset.”

https://www.onlysp.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-warhorse-studios-interview-part-2/

1 Like

Still to me the PR guy glossed over the bugs but grudgingly admitted that the DLC’s were not well received or implemented. Also did not say anything about player input to the game from here.

1 Like

We aren’t reviewers. It seems they matter enough to get a follow up

Months ago, a brief follow up with donors was proposed. Provoked a little interest. Subsequently died a silent, ignominious death. Sums up my perception of the value WH places in WH forum user feedback/input (beyond reporting bugs)