My new daisyo

This my daisyo on katana-kake. Higher one is katana; lower is wakizasi.

Tuko (hilt) of katana.

Komi (blade) and kisaki (point) of katana.
Both swords are combat ready. Examined for defects - swords are in excellent condition.

1 Like

What does daisyo mean?

Daisyo is the pair of two nihonto (Japanese swords). It consists of daito - large sword, like katana, and syoto - small sword, like wakizasi.

Nice pair! do you plan practicing any martial arts with it?

… but, aaaktchualllyyyy…

saya is a scabbard of the sword not a hilt
komi also sound strange to me, never heard the term before in connection to parts of katana

just a side note : syoto and daisyo are traditionally written as shoto and daisho. Because gooling your terms wont lead you anywhere.

1 Like

Oh, didn’t notice that. Hilt is called tuko.

Some terminology:
Tosin - strip of sword.
Nakago - shaft of the sword.
Komi or mi - blade of the sword.

I am not using Hepburn, only kunrei-siki.
And the words syoto and daisyo are traditionally written as 小刀 and 大小.

I am not using Hepburn, only kunrei-siki.
And the words syoto and daisyo are traditionally written as 小刀 and 大小.

i did not mean its wrong (thats why i put it s a side note) , only that less people will understand and even less will be able to google the terms.

You should use Hepburn, it is the best method of phonetizing Japanese. Period. :slight_smile:

Also, the hilt is called Tsuka, and the blade part from the Habaki (collar) all the way to Kissaki is usually referred to as Nagasa. Your terms might or might not be correct, I’m not an expert in Japanese, but surely they won’t get you anywhere in the blade community. :slight_smile:

Congrats for the pair! It looks nice for production pieces. What brand are they? Ronin Elite?

Kunrei-siki is based on Japanese phonology though.

I don’t remember.