My thoughts on Balancing Combat

Any chance you have a link for it? Would love to use it.

Users over at Nexus are making a lot of discoveries on what needs to be done on balancing the game.

The biggest issues and I’ll be repeating some of what I already said, is the scaling of Henry. The PC’s stats need to be reigned in on – we have too many perks available that just pile up and give Henry ungoldy damage (Savage, Brute, Heavy Swing, Sadist, Chain Strikes, Against All Odds, Furious having all these activated can probably give you 200+ damage if in proper gear and enough strength) and the AI and NPCs have no tools, scaling, or the gear available to counter act this. As a matter of fact there is like NO gear in the game that will allow you to withstand all that damage.

There are command lines within the games ini files that allow you reduce these numbers. A user at nexus found a way to completely negate all damage modifiers from the Sword Skill – and the only advantage you have with leveling it is gaining new combos which makes sense. There is also another line that reduces the strength of all your buffs, I don’t think this needs to be modified to fix the balance issue I just think we should completely remove all these stacking stat padding perks and give us new more interesting ones.

The biggest key here is to reign in on Henry’s scaling, eliminate modifiers from combat perks and stats. Strength should instead be used as a requirement for better weapons, so really when you level up your strength you are getting more damage with more quality weapons. Increase weapons requirements so you can’t have so much god tier gear early in the game – there are legit high tier swords and armors in places they shouldn’t be and are easy to find in unlocked chests. The most obvious location is north of Neuhof, if you follow the road north east where the archery range is you will come upon a camp on the road
 In this camp is a unlocked chest with 3 of the best weapons, and some of the best armors in the game. It’s ludicrous to have these items that early in the game. Stat requirements need to be present so you can’t become god and will force you to train and level up before you get better gear which is good for balance.

Also
 Heavy armor is too over powered. You get mad defense per weight ratio and have no negative effects other than noise and maybe a slight nerf to speed? The weight of heavy armor should be significantly increased and should negatively impact stamina as well as speed more heavily.

So anyway
 I’m using the harder enemies mod over at Nexus and I toned down the sword damage modifiers completely and the game feels much better. I’m trying to find the strength damage modifier and eliminate that as well, so the amount of damage I do is entirely based on my weapon.

Avoiding damage stacking perks also helps.

1 Like

Us lowly console owners have to wait for WH to fix this, since we can’t use any of these awesome mods. :disappointed_relieved: Biggest disadvantage of playing on console IMO, and a MASSIVE bummer.

1 Like

Hopefully WH balances t he game better instead of having to rely on modders. Or release the tools so consoles can make their own mods as well.

All in all, this game still needs a LOT of work.

2 Likes

Agreed, it’s by far the biggest detractor from me getting more into the game.

Another problem is, you can literally level up greatly in every single skill there is just by practicing a little. There’s no point in creating different Henrys with different play style. The Henry I created is expert in warfare, stealth, alchemy, herbs, hunting, lockpicking, pickpocketing, sword, axe, defense and close to expert in archery. I can literally use every single skill to its highest level without having to grind much. I think this needs to change too.

1 Like

ES Oblivion had it down pat I think. You got to pick a handful of major skills that you would get an initial boost in, but these were the only ones that dictated your progress towards leveling up your main level. You could still level up all other “minor” skills and you would improve in them, but they did nothing to advance your main level.

1 Like

That’s a better system. But here you can literally be the bookworm ninja knight brewing thief poacher. That’s probably not realistic lol. Oh and professional flower picker too.

1 Like

Yeah the biggest selling point for me with this game was that finally I wouldn’t even have the possibility of becoming OP. The current balance and pace at which you can level up is really disappointing. WH has it in them to fix it, I just hope it doesn’t take an inordinate amount of time to do so.

The head banger perk is glitched and most of the time you can KO anybody with one hit, on my system at least.