Need help with combat... I think I suck

I thought you had to unlock a sword perk to counter

:frowning: that is unfortunate. Hopefully they fix it soon

I have noticed this too, I am able to perfect block the first attack but if I counter and my attack gets perfect blocked I don’t get to perfect block my opponent’s second attack. Annoying.

SamtheSerf: Exactly. Since there is a lot of “unexplained” things in this game that you must discover for yourself, I have yet to understand what causes this…

Fifavenue: This is true. But this perk gets unlocked at a certain point in the main quest. You’ll train with Sir Bernard and he’ll show you how to do it. After that, you’ll get a very short pop-up in your reticle that tells you “now is the time to counter” sort of thing…

1 Like

Would be great if this is a glitch that gets fixed and not by design, I love the idea of the back-and-forth that it could create if both opponents can potentially counter the other’s attack an unlimited number of times until someone slips.

What I haven’t tried yet, and will now, is to see if I can DODGE my opponent’s second counter attack. I’ve always just tried to block it, which we now know is currently impossible.

I suck too, i crept up to the first bandit and put him to sleep then mercy killed him, the other one was a button mashing mess, but i got the bugger in the end !

1 Like

Funny how killing a merely unconscious person is still considered a “Mercy Kill.” Haha

2 Likes

What are your stats?

I’ll need to look them up when I get home and get back to you. :slight_smile:

No worries. I have just been noticing a common theme with people feeling it’s too easy, vs people feeling it’s too hard.

Essentially, everyone that thinks it’s too easy is using a sword, has 10+ weapon proficiency and 10+ strength stat prior to the Runt fight.

Everyone thinking it’s too hard is basically the opposite.

I know that my Sword is only a 7. Strength is an 8 I think. So nothing crazy.

Thanks, that’s helpful.

1 Like

Regardless, I’d love for there to be a better scale. I don’t want to have the combat become boring once hitting a certain level in Warfare, Strength, Sword, etc. Would love for there to be a good reason behind unlocking the perks associated with high levels in these areas - especially weapon combos, which are essentially pointless right now since you kill your enemy before even being able to use a combo when you’re high enough.

I don’t need the game to be stupid difficult, either. Just want there to be some sense of reward for kicking butt!

I agree. I think the core issue is the weapon skill + stat + weapon damage allows you to overpower armor too easily, effectively reducing opponents stamina to zero and doing full damage to HP’s.

Something is off on the armor mitigation factor as it doesn’t seem to scale as high as the damage output.

The speed in which you gain skills and stats is too quick and easy imo. Upping armor values may assist, but I think more importantly is making sure you can only gain skill when you’re facing an opponent that is evenly or more skilled than you.

1 Like

Agree on all points. You’d have to think WH is aware of this and actively working to balance it, and we know this is possible since the Day 1 Patch included “weapon and armor rebalancing.” For all we know, whatever they updated in the patch could have broken the system and now they need to fix it again.

Amh, what are you doing is getting in combat wrong. It depends your approach. At the time of that quest, I went to them sneaky at first, I had the perk for padding the armor so I had noice reduction, first I went for one of them from behind and sneak kill it, then the other one will notice, I call for my horse and take some distance, then threw like 3 or 5 arrows to him, get down, and finish him by stabbing his head with the poison sword, I had “The piercer” at the moment. And my str was 8 or 9 I think. Now I got a duelist with str lv 14. I dont care about sneak and archery anymore I just jump inside 5 enemies at same time, with “against all odds” perk you will love to have more than 3 enemies at same time. I just stab them in the face with a flury of fence or the combo -slash-stab-stab-stab- and usualy they just die in the spot at the first stab in the head, even if they cover sometimes, they just simple fall. And if they manage to survive they begin to run only to fall dead in the way of fleeing… Its not fun anymore… I miss runt…

1 Like

The thing to remember is that as you improve, so can your opponents. You can generally tell how good or trained your foe is by looking at their gear. If they don’t have much armor on, a gambeson, possibly a helmet and a weapon/shield, odds are they will be flailing around their weapons as if they’re cleavers and won’t know how to parry, block and probably won’t have much stamina. If they are better equipped then the odds are they can parry and dodge which will make combos difficult, which gets us back to the fundamentals we learn in the beginning, keep moving and watch your stamina, then look for an opening, or try to make one with chain strikes to lower their stamina.

The most dangerous opponents are the ones who are fully kitted out. Full plate mail, helmets, the works. They are knights, or likely deserters. They have excellent weapons and armor, and are very well trained. They can do perfect counters, parry, block, dodge, and have high stamina. If you fight these guys, you need to know what you’re doing AS WELL AS be just as equipped as them, because if you are not, you will lose.

That’s the beauty of this game. You may think you’re on top of the world and may find yourself fighting a foe who has better gear and is more skilled at fighting, and suddenly you are outclassed, and it can be deadly.

1 Like