Need help with combat... I think I suck

Hi all, new to the forum.

I looked around, found some “general advice” for combat, but I just can’t make it work for me. Hence this post…

I’ve played maybe around 20 hours. Finished some side activites (took care of 2 bandit camps for Bernard, but the third one is giving me a hard time). So, since I was having trouble with that third bandit camp, I decided to go continue advancing the main quest. I’m at Ginger in a Pickle. The charcoal burner dude asked me to kill the 2 bandits.

Here is my problem with combat. There are some dudes that just block and counter every freakn thing! The hooded bandit from these two is one of them. The bandit camp I was refering to was the same. Their leader was just blocking everything.

As a matter of fact, he’s more like counter-attacking, like when you perfectly time the block. So when he attacks after that perfect block I sometimes manage to block or counter as well… but it’s just a never ending fight that I can’t win. He doesn’t hit me that often, but I just NEVER touch him. I fought him twice (reloading after death) and both times it last like 15 minutes and I finally die in the end.

I play with the mouse and keyboard. I admit I am tempted to try the controller for melee fights… but I doubt this will be a magical solution.

Any guess on what I might be doing wrong? Most of the time I wait for him to attack first. Then I counter , but he counters my counter… and so on. And, if I am the first to launch an attack, then it’s a similar process. He counters my first attack, and if I manage to counter his, he’ll counter again and will manage at some point to hit me (since he counters with like 4 attacks combos)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

These two guys are high level fighters, there is no way to win with your gear and training. Ask for Bernard’s ( I think is his name) help. He will kick their asses…

You can feint, it works sometimes, I typically attack once, then counter his counter and feint stab and stab or I simply just spam stabs, that always worked for me for some reason, they’ll block 9/10 hits but one goes through and staggers enough to get 1-2 hits.

The way I killed those two bandits was I convinced them I hadn’t seen or was even looking for Ginger, so they said goodbye and kept walking. As soon as their backs were turned, I cut the first one down immediately. The second turned around and pulled his sword out, but I cut him down before he could get an attack off.

Good news about this game for those who don’t like (or can’t figure out) the combat is there is almost always an alternative solution.

1 Like

I kinda did the same. I waited for them to wonder off and then them twice with arrows before the got to me. I got my ass kicked but barely managed to kill them. I also choked out faint hearted knights for thier armor

1 Like

I killed them in their sleep. Best thing I could think of at the time.

1 Like

Now im jealous that i didn’t do that

1 Like

Well I do have some armor that I stole from a dude that attacked me. Not sure if it’s terribly good, but I’m not in clothing. I’m saying it in case somebody wondered…

That being said, maybe they are still way too skilled for me at this level.

Because, one thing I realized is. They can counter everything, however, it’s not the same for me. maybe 50% of the time, I won’t have the pop-up to counter their combo. Usually occurs if they countered me. Their counter attack will not be “counterable” for me. So I have to either manage to block or just take the damage.

Is this because of our “level” difference?

I love hearing how seemingly everyone completes the same quest differently. Something that definitely stands out about this game.

1 Like

Definitely, Tried open combat an sucked at it, so took a different approach just like they want you to.

2 Likes

Could be, they are definitely tough. Well actually one was tough, the other was a lackey in my mind

1 Like

You could apply poison to your weapons, that helps.

2 Likes

I havent done that yet. But i do have the blood letter perk, and just remembered the weaker guy bled out in that fight. God i love this game

Ya the one with the most armor (though not that much) sucks at combat. The other hooded dude though is very tough. But I managed to just shoot them in the back in the head, as suggested here.

That still doesn’t quite tell me what I do wrong in melee combat. But, reading your replies, I think it was somewhat normal that I couldn’t really win that fight. I’ll keep practicing I guess!

1 Like

I haven’t died yet in the game, and combat seems too easy to me. Though I think this is mainly due to the fact that I have a pretty good armor rating - I rarely get wounded in battle, just have to pay a lot to get my gear repaired.

Im not very good at melee but its fun tryin lol

Losing in battle and running for your life will be the most fun you’ll have, there will be a time where you won’t flee even aganist 50 opponents because it’s simply too easy to rek them.

1 Like

:frowning: hopefully im far away from getting easy

Unfortunately you’re not. I’ve barely scratched the surface of this game and combat has lost all sense of difficulty. IMO they sorely need to address the balancing ASAP.

Anybody has a explanation as to why some attacks seem not possible to counter?

Is this a level thing or just that one might not have enough stamina at the time of the attack?