New interview with Daniel Vávra

Prior to siege, all people from surrounding areas go to find shelter within castle walls. So sieges without children are impossible.

2 Likes

It’d be nice to know the reasonings why they aren’t including mortal children. Because I would think a lot of it could be explained or argued (in favor of mortal children) by explaining that they are making a realistic RPG that is a historically accurate game, meant for mature/adult gamers.

GTA is a great game, but it’s easy to argue that GTA glorifies sex, violence, etc. (which is probably why IT doesn’t have children), and it’s not the most realistic game.

But KCD is not trying to glorify violence and it’s fixated on realism, being historically accurate. They are many instances in tv shows or movies where certain language or nudity is allowed because of the context. I don’t see how this is any different.

1 Like

Here two possible solutions (for me) @warhorse :
1.If you, hurt one time children nothing happen but if you try to kill them, kind of orphanage guards come to kill you before you can kill children. (something to review!!)
2. (Having immoirtal children) If children’s parents die, some adults come to take them away to sell them as workers (an maybe during mission you may find some wagons with kids that go away.

I prefer one of these solutions rather than no childrens…NO SENSE and UNREAL!

Lol that sounds really creepy.

Completely agree. They could add imortal children and then just leave it to them moders to make them kill able if they’re worried about the game being banned in several countries. No children at all would really brake immersion.
I think it would actually be kinda cool to find orphans in village ruins. Maybe you could have the option to give them food or lead them to a town. I remember i fallout 3 i lead that little bitch Bryan Wilkes to his aunt in rivet city. So couldn’t they add a quest like that where you could lead the children to the nearest large town/city.

I WOULD SLAY THE CHILDREN BY THOUSANDS, I WOULD BE KNOWN AS THE KIDSLAYER :smiley: Ok, ALLCAPS rage is off now. Good interview, I cant wait and see other classes in the game tho, like the bard or the ‘thief’. Looking forward to next VIDEO UPDATE @TobiTobsen :frowning: It feels like its been years since the last one, I dont really care about the Alpha updates on steam, just the video updates and seeing how you guys are doing :heartpulse:

3 Likes

Yeah, and someone already suggested that children whose parents died should just disappear after some time when player isn’t watching. It’s just my unqualified opinion, but this seems like something that could be done easily and it’s IMO ok even in terms of realism. It could be said that they died on hunger or something, while keeping it non-violent and out of player’s eyes, which will hopefuly satisfy moralists.

So almost all of us are in agreement for them making killable children. This would make the game the first of it’s kind if Warhorse did so. I don’t understand why people would complain about killing children though.

It’s perfectly okay for me to rape this woman, kill this innocent villager, burn a person alive, torture them and rend their guts out, slaughter animals for fun, but it’s immoral to kill a child? Seriously?

Also, as much as Warhorse doesn’t want killable children, I’d rather they made them killable then say you have to mod the game to do so. I’m going to playing my copy on my PS4 and sadly you can’t mod on consoles, so I’d rather the children killable right off the bat, even if the small insane society of people say that’s immoral. Last time I checked, rape was pretty immoral but that’s okay in a video game, but Heaven’s no if a child dies from being crushed by a rock flung from a catapult during a siege. :expressionless: I mean come on. It’s a video game based on historical events. I’m 100% sure kids died from a lot of things other then some random blacksmith stabbing them with a butter knife.

3 Likes

I know there are (quest in last alpha was kinda about it, after all)! Just saying it would be like if there weren´t. And I mentioned it just becouse of number 33. Dans popular “100+ důvodů proč Dan Vávra nesnáší TES V: Skyrim”

And I do believe you, and I realize its not easy… I just wanted to be “active member of comunity” and give you my opinion, you know :smiley: D

Its just the way things are. Its deemed extra horrible to kill a child and if warhorse sent out a game with kill able children then it could get banned in several countries.

Then im afraid you’re out of luck. I cant think if any game where you can murder children. As you said people freak out when children are kill able. The only game i can think of where you can kill children without mods is star wars episode 3 for the original xbox. But that game never really got any attention and it was made a long time ago when people cared less about “morals” in video games. But if they do add children people who got it for pc will be able to kill them through mods :sunglasses:

Yeah, also in old Fallouts 1 & 2 you could kill children and even get reputation title Childkiller, but now Steam sells only censored version without kids.

3 Likes

Just a heads up about another interview, with Jiri Rydl this times. It seems to me there is no new information except this little thing - he says they draw inspiration from Witches’ Hammer; very good and brutal czech old movie about inquisition in Bohemia. So if you haven’t seen it, I really recommend it, it’s great, it’s directed by Vávra (although it was Otakar Vávra :smile:), and you might get a little hint of what the game will feel like.

I am not familiar with the game you are referring to, and it may be different with steam games, but san andreas almost got pulled from shelves in the US because of what you are suggesting. They had “sexual” content on disc with their hot coffee stuff that was not seen by the original ratings boards, so it would have had to be pulled from shelves and re-rated. Most likely adult only.

I would like to see the orphans escape to the forest and form a band of outlaws.

The whole ‘no killing kids’ is nothing but the ‘Politically Correct’ movement run amok.

I DESPISE the politically correct movement. Hate it with a passion. Keep in mind I also despise discrimination. Tell a racist joke to me, and I am that asshole that will get in your face about it. But I still defend your right to tell that joke, even if I think it’s offensive and tasteless… and I defend my right to respond to that joke. Am I making sense here?

To phrase another way; banning racist jokes does not end racism… it just makes it harder to tell who the racist jerkwads are.

The problem I have with the PC movement is it is a fundamentally twisted denial of reality. Newsflash. Kids can be killed, and are killed every day. It’s a horrible tragedy. Yes, they died in 15th century Bohemia too. Sometimes they died horribly. Pretending it isn’t so doesn’t change the world of today, or 15th century Bohemia.

As a player, my character would NEVER kill children, I’d be inclined to defend them if they were in danger (consider that we remove a chance to be heroic if children never need defending). Kids should be able to die in this game. If some twisted person gets their jollies by murdering kids in the game… well… enjoy. Why not realistic consequences? If a mass murdering child killer really existed, the entire world would turn against them in the form of an angry mob with torches and pitchforks. Grieving parents would chase him to the ends of the earth, no where on the map would be safe. Why not go that way? If a careless player sets off a chain of events and results in kids getting in the crossfire and dying… I hope it’s horrible and weighs on the character/player’s conscience. As it should.

All I want from this game is what attracted me to in the first place; realism. To be realistic, kids must be able to die. Sorry, but that’s just how it is. I don’t WANT kids to die, I want realism. For it to be realistic, kids must be present, and they can’t be immortal.

Example; anyone here play Banner Saga? I loved that game, good story that sucked me in, even if the game play was kind of simple. There is a moment near the end when you get to decide who should take the shot with the arrow. I… let the best archer take the shot… not thinking of what it could mean. (Trying to skirt around spoilers here) What the consequences could be. I was so disturbed by that outcome, I had to walk away from the game for quite a while. This is not a criticism of Banner Saga, this is PRAISE. I was emotionally invested in the characters, and when what happened… happened… it was disturbing… as it should have been.

Another example is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen in my life. Brilliant film. Schindler’s List. That is a genuinely difficult movie for me to watch it is so… powerful. And I firmly believe one of the most powerful aspects of that film… was the rare use of color. I am referring to the girl in the red coat. That was one of the most moving, and disturbing moments I have ever seen on film. Her second appearance is simply… gut wrenching. I remember sitting in the theater, big burly biker dude sitting near me… leather chains and all… not someone you’d ever pick a bar brawl with… huge, scary looking dude. He was sobbing like a 6 year old girl with a skinned knee.

Was Spielberg an evil child murder for showing this? Was Schindler’s List a ‘bad movie’ because of this?

But I am sure there are lunatics in the PC crowd that were horribly offended and want that edited out of the film.

I call that straight up batshit crazy. Lunatics.

The real problem with the PC movement is that you are forced to accommodate people that are fundamentally… off. They have difficulty controlling their emotions and it is VERY easy to offend them over their little pet issue. So in essence, the PC movement, is accommodating the psychologically unwell, while they call US crazy for offending them. They are obsessive and unbalanced. Oddly, it John Cleese of all people I heard point that out.

(Warning, it’s Cleese being serious, not funny)

Children need to exist in this game, and they can not be immortal. Tell the Politically Correct crowd to kiss your/our asses on this one.

As a possible compromise… why not allow children in the game, allow them to die, but disallow the player to to harm them? You can swing your sword at them, but do no damage? But if they get caught in the middle of a battle and arrows fly… they can die.

A possible compromise I could live with.

7 Likes

I agree 100% with you, voodoochild. Great post!

edit: and including the John Cleese Interview was on the nose.

And how many kids in St. Petersberg/Stalingrad died in that bombing? Also, is that bomber any less a weapon of Nazi Germany because they change the paint job to be historically INcorrect?

But the kids that surely died in that bombing is what gets me … it’s somehow ‘ok’ if it’s not shown?!?

This is why I consider the Politically Correct crowd no less than … insane. No grip on reality, highly reactionary, obsessive, unbalanced, and not in control of their emotions. These are not the hallmarks of ‘good mental health’.

Whenever it is my choice (I can’t make this decision for this game), I choose to REFUSE to accommodate them. Extremists should not be able to hijack the norms of society. I believe this firmly.

1 Like

Cleese is a favorite comedian of mine for many, many reasons… this is only one on the list :wink:

i fucking loved this show man is a legend

1 Like

I hold Fawlty Towers up as the funniest sitcom I have ever seen to this very day… apologies to Seinfeld and Cheers, they were great, but… this? This was the best sitcom I’ve ever seen. There are 90 minute feature length comedies that don’t have a fraction of the laughs as a single episode of Fawlty Towers. ‘Yes you did, you invaded Poland!’. The first time I saw that episode, I nearly died… I own the whole series on DVD now. Pure. Comedy. Genius.

As funny as he is, I still think his insight regarding the PC movement is dead on actually. He wasn’t joking, but he WAS right about it. And this is a good example, it touches on… some sensitive issues. Some people might not find it funny, and be offended by the references to WWII Germany… but… shrug. Get over it, it happened, and this bit is hilarious.

But yes, if someone calls Cleese a legend, all I can do is agree completely while nodding my head enthusiastically.

the sad thing is he didnt make many as he thought they were not that funny

i like to live by this quote when it comes to the PC crowd

"people can take offense of my dress sense, but what they can not do is to insist that I dress in a way that doesn’t offend them"
im a great believer in taking the piss out of the most sensitive things and ive certainly made plenty of enemies by living with the attitude i have but i think its a positive thing for humanity to be able to stand back and just laugh at our selves over these hot topics .

Another issue with the PC crowd is there ability to get offended on the behalf of other people . for example me and one of my mates that happens to be black like to take the piss out of each other racially . and we couldnt give a shit where we do it , anyway we were giving each other some stick on a facebook post and this mega left winged feminist on my friends list at the time (she has deleted me now after i had it out with her ) decided to start getting offended on the behalf of my mate and telling me how im a racist this and that and it annoys me so much because any sane person could see we were having mutual banter between each other and no harm was meant in any of the comments .

1 Like

I mostly agree with you, except for two things. I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “racist jokes”, but if you mean jokes about jews, blacks or other ethnics/nationalities, then i don’t agree with your implication that telling such jokes makes you racist or that they are inherently bad. Sure, there are times and places where it is inapropriate to tell such jokes, but on other occasions I don’t see anything wrong with that. Good joke is a good joke. In the Czech Republic we have kind of tradition of making fun of ourselves and we are very self-critical as a nation. It’s pretty common to tell jokes based on some of the stereotypes about ourselves here. Does it make us bigots/xenophobes/racists, or whatver the right word is? I don’t think so. I can laugh to jokes about czechs without hating them, I can laught to jokes about black people without being racist, I can joke about jews without being antisemite.

The other thing I don’t agree with is your implication that only “twisted” people would want to kill children in a game. This comes from the same belief that PC people bases their demand of censorship on, that killing children in a game is so much more moraly wrong than anything else, that it shouldn’t be allowed. Although you say that it should be alowed, you are still insitsing on that first part; that killing children in a game is uncomparably more wrong than killing anyone else, which I simply can’t accept. Firstly, it’s just a game, there are no children, just 1’s and 0’s. And secondly, I simply find beliefe that you can kill hundreds of innocent civilians, but harming one children is soo much more moraly wrong that only a twisted person could do it, to be very hypocritical. Killing innocest people is always twisted, not only killing children. The fact that you are used to kill adults by thousands doesn’t make it less twisted, it’s actually the opposite, if anything. So if you want to insist that twisted activities in games are played only by twisted people, you must also agree that you are twisted as well, because killing innocent people is always twisted, no matter their age. The other option is, that you can enjoy doing twisted things in game without being actually twisted yourself. That you can do something in a game that acutally doesn’t reflect your personality, because you are aware that it’s just a game and you just want to do stupid stuff…

3 Likes