Newbie here. Is the PS4 version playable yet, or should I wait for 1.5?

I bought KCD on day 1, but have never played it. I decided that it would be best to wait for the majority of quest/mechanical bugs to be patched before I start playing for the first time.

My question is- can I reasonably expect to play through it without encountering any game-breaking bugs or broken quests on 1.4.3, or would I be better suited to waiting for 1.5 since I’ve waited this long already?

(Note that I’m not talking about graphical bugs as I don’t care about those, I’m referring strictly to quests & game mechanics).

Vanilla PS4 1.4.3 is playable but I’d wait until 1.5 if little idiosyncrasies bother you. They don’t bother me so i’ve ploughed through 520h, 2.2k enemies, & 1.3M groschen. finished game at ~475h but decided to replay from near end of mainquest line

I have PS4 Pro and I have had it since day 1. I was lucky and had very few bugs and nothing game breaking. I would just wait and not risk it. It is a great game though. If you can afford it, buy it and then shelve it for a few months if you have issues. That was my thought process when I bought it. Your first 50 or so hours you are basically just learning anyhow. Most people start a new game before finishing the first time through.
I was going to wait a year to play this, but Red Dead Redemption got postponed again.

It’s playing very well on my PS4 PRO. It does have hang ups/lag on saving, and sometimes if I’ve been plahying a long time objects take a little more time to load, but otherwise it’s been golden! Just play and find out if you’ll enjoy it!

Vanilla PS4 player here. Started a new game after the 1.4.3 patch. Not even a single bug, lag or stutter. I’m at the 80 hours mark by now.

Ps4 here. Since day 1 no real troubles.

My suggestion: (alludes to slight gameplay spoilers)

Start a playline and choose the perk bonuses at the start you wouldnt normally take (eg charisma/speech); then play a game IGNORING THE MAIN QUEST and make a living by roaming the land and picking/selling herbs. Forget about combat as much as possible. (Take herb perks that build strength when picking flowers etc. Youll get hidden perk bonuses along the way (eg picking 50 poisonous plants))

Repair your clothes, play farkle to cover food and accom costs… use plant sales to learn reading and alchemy…
Buy better clothing and nasty arrows… play lots of archery contests (chumps by the river)…

Play another life.

This will show you if you system and the present patch (1.4.3) is up to speed. (Can textures stream well: do save games corrupt…).
The character isnt one you need care about or losing progress.
If they lose a days play you get to do it again tomorrow, and if you dont want to; do something else.

By the time you are ready (keen and chomping at the bit) to start a game- you will be familiar with the game world and the games systems.

I restarted so many games over the first six weeks trying all sorts of play style and character builds.

I guess we have to roleplay the sense of urgency that this world gives us.
My partner and I are always so keen to pay off our debts and live ‘unencumbered’.

You will probably find an optimised game with 1.5 and will then be able to compare any graphical and framerate improvements…whilst knowing that the best functioning ‘quest’ build has been delivered to you…

Edit:+1 1.4.3 being the first great build for the majority.
For myself I have had basically no probs since release (so maybe my opinion doesnt count- to be fair- Ive learned NEVER to play large scale RPGs mainquests on launch. Or even to roll any characters Id like to play seriously until at least a few patches are out. Started with the last Ultima game; though Baldurs Gate added multiplayer through patches and was probably the best example of why RPGs are never at their best on launch.)

@frelmedieval, @Zarasophist, @griff0n, @TheCountryPicker, @Erik078, @Whitedragem
Thanks for all your great feedback. I hope this thread proves to be as helpful for anyone else in my situation as it was for me.

I will do precisely that. If the game run well then I will continue to play it afterwards, and if it runs poorly I will wait for 1.5.

1 Like

Hi, I am also a newbie here. I bought the game in March and waited until 1.4.3 was released to install the game (on PS4 Pro). Since then I have 60 hours game time and in that period have had 2 crashes (no big deal, it happens occasionally with most games i play) and 1 instance of what I would call a bug, and I think I know a workaround to bypass that bug.
I’m very pleased that I began playing when I did and would recommend that you dive in. The game’s rough edges and unfixed problems are outweighed by the great fun and immersion of the world.

1 Like