No Alpha for Linux/Mac backers?

It’s sad to hear that. If the Beta for Linux is not finally released I hope you guys will give us Linux users a compensation. Anyway, let’s talk again in October.

[quote=“PerroYverde, post:33, topic:8878, full:true”]
I can understand why people complain, but for real don’t you have or can’t do a Windows partition to play the alpha/beta?[/quote]

Will you pay the Windows license for me? :wink: Will you repair my computer if it gets infected by a virus? :wink:

1 Like

Of course it’s not the end of the world. But the important thing here is that it was promised during the Kickstarter campaign, and I pledged (an I supppose many others) more money than initially thought only to get the Alpha and Beta.

What if the Windows Alpha/Beta gets cancelled? I think the chaos in the forums would be enormous :smile:

Well, the Linux version was meant for the final game, not Alpha or Beta on Kickstarter. Truth is that it may be confusing - so many versions, PC versus console, early accesss, physical or digital… This KS update is not very clear also:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance/posts?page=5

We should have stated it more clearly, I am sorry.

I do appreciate your words and I understand your position, but you are wrong. Beta for Linux was very clearly stated in Kickstarter:

The Beta access will be available on Windows, Linux and Mac at least; it may also be available on consoles but we cannot confirm it yet.

Kickstarter link

Regarding Alpha, it was “only” implicitly promised (as implicitly as it was the Windows Alpha).

Alpha access: You will in-effect become part of our development team, getting access to the earliest barely playable version of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Your comments and observations will help to shape the game.

(Please note that no specific Operating System is mentioned.)

May I assume that the Windows Alpha/Beta is also being cancelled? I suppose the answer is no. So please do not treat us (Linux/Mac users) as second class citizens, or offer a way to compensate us. We have exactly the same rights as Windows users (no more, no less) of being involved in the development of the game, we paid for it :wink:

2 Likes

You are right about Beta, I am sorry. I will make sure our programmers have the Linux version in their plans. Thank you!

3 Likes

Thank you to you! :smiley:

2 Likes

Good catch, and good resolution from the sound of it!

I only use Linux, so I certainly hope that I will get a beta version for Linux at least. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So i have my answer… Probably no alpha version on linux…

I need to work on my vga passtrought with kvm to be ready for this beautifull day :wink:

Any news of cryengine on linux ?

I really hope they keep in mind all the Mac users out there and the linux users also, i know developing the game is best on what software or system your doing it on, but donating as much money as we are, we really want to be able to help develop too on whatever system we use, like me on a Mac…

I have a completely different take…

Uh… I’d rather Warhorse not waste the time and put their efforts to something that benefits more than a few members of the community. I am sorry if the kickstarter page was unclear, but I for one do NOT want Warhorse bending over backwards to accommodate 12 people grousing about the first release of a crazy early alpha not being on Linux.

Seriously, what makes you people so much more important than the rest of us? I don’t mean to be harsh, but from a development perspective, this early in the game… it would be pretty stupid of them to put the time and resources into building a completely different compile for Linux… to appease the smallest OS segment. Sorry, logically, you have to wait. There are more important things affecting far more people in the queue ahead of you. I could scream and bitch for TrackIR support… that would probably impact a lot more than the Linux only crowd… but I won’t… because it’s too early to chase down features that appeal to a narrow subset of the backers. Right now, they need to focus on getting the WINDOWS version out on time, on the 22nd. In my experience with these sorts of things… I don’t take that date too seriously… I know they are trying to hit it, and they might… but most gaming companies actually miss their own deadlines. 50/50 we get it on the 22nd, or wait a few extra days. THAT is where their focus needs to be, not a ‘drop everything and compile a Linux version’. If they started it right now, I doubt they’d have a clean Linux compile to give you on the 22nd. So should everyone else wait now? I mean, we don’t want to be UNFAIR, why should us evil Windows drones get in… I mean thousands of us… handful of you… yeah, let’s jam up the whole dev cycle, blow off the 10/22 alpha, scrap everything, and start over with a LINUX focus… yeah… that’s the answer.

Seriously, I’ve never known a company to put out a beta, let alone an alpha on all 3 OS’s simultaneously. Never. I have never, EVER seen that. A final release? Sometimes. Even then, Mac and Linux typically trail a few months behind. Beta? No way. Just no way. Alpha?!? hahahhahah no.

I mean, the ARROGANCE of Warhorse in supporting the single most common OS out there for the first release of Alpha… evil, evil bastards aren’t they? lol

Seriously guys, don’t take it personally, no one hates Linux here, no one is out to get you or screw you over… there just aren’t many of you, and like the good Vulcan said, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Now is NOT the time for Warhorse to worry about a Linux Alpha release.

Take Star Citizen, or Elite: Dangerous… both a lot further along in their development than KC: D. Star Citizen also promises a Linux and Mac version… but over a year after the hanger, and months after the dogfight module… it’s still only available for Windows. And they have 280 people at last count working on it… and even then, Linux waits. I’d have been surprised, shocked really, if the initial release was for Winblows, Mac and Linux… all there on day one of alpha.

The truth is, I am interested in a Linux version myself, I do a dual boot with Ubuntu… what if the Linux version runs better? I might prefer that version in the end. But I wasn’t about to pick Linux for my release because I wanted to get into the alpha ASAP… I figured with Linux I’d have to wait… seems I was right. So I guess that is what bugged me about this thread… I looked at the Linux version just like you did… I thought about the alpha and thought ‘you know, I should opt for the Windows version for testing…’

You had the same choice I did. The same information available to you. You made your choice. I made mine. Now you don’t like the choice you made because you misunderstood something.

Some of you Linux guys really crack me up… it’s like a holy war. If there is ever a perceived slight to the Linux community it’s all self righteous anger… equal rights??? Really, we marching on Washington next? lol Seriously, when did YOUR choice to use an 3rd place OS become a civil rights battle!!! Hey, I LIKE Linux, I use it. But I am fully aware Linux is the gross minority of gaming machines. A tiny percentage compared to MAC let alone Winblows.

Were you somehow unaware of this when you chose Linux as your OS? Did you not know that is the clear minority OS? And if you DID know… why are you grousing about that now? How is it Warhorse’s fault that MS outsells Windows 100 to 1 over Linux? (not an accurate number, I don’t want to look it up… a crapload. MS moves a crapload more copies of Winblows than all the Linux distros combined, it’s unfortunate, but it IS the truth)

I am sorry Linux doesn’t have a better market share, I really am, I’d like to see them steal some users from Microsoft. I’d love to see Linux get into the 25-33% range. But if you have anything to be angry about… it’s not me, and it’s not Warhorse… you need to be angry that not very many people use Linux. That is it’s biggest flaw. When developers have to make a choice between Windows, Mac or Linux… why wouldn’t you chose the most pervasive OS of the 3?

Individually, yes, you have the same rights I do as a backer. Collectively, the much smaller group of Linux backers do not carry the weight of the thousands of Windows backers.

Warhorse is only being logical here, and completely in step with the rest of the industry. IMO, the assumption that they would launch a super early alpha on 3 OS’s simultaneously… was a bit flawed. In short, you did this to yourself, don’t get angry at Warhorse over it.

2 Likes

They’re bending over backwards to keep their word. That promise is the only reason they have my money right now - I’m not a charity, and neither are my other fellow Linux backers AFAIK. If they didn’t put that effort into making the beta available on Linux, that’d be pure dishonesty - and that’s why I’m glad that they’re keeping that promise. It’d be just as easy to turn their back on us, but they have the character to go through with it. Just for that, they’ve got at least one customer for life right here.

[quote=“voodoochild, post:46, topic:8878, full:true”]
…Seriously, I’ve never known a company to put out a beta, let alone an alpha on all 3 OS’s simultaneously. Never. I have never, EVER seen that. A final release? Sometimes. Even then, Mac and Linux typically trail a few months behind. Beta? No way. Just no way. Alpha?!? hahahhahah no.
…[/quote]
Planetary Annihilation had an Alpha also for Linux - just if you are looking for an example. :smile:

Anyhow, in this case it seems to be slightly out of the devs hands. They are using an external engine, so there are some dependencies (like a Linux port) which aren’t under their control. In the above mentioned example they were using an own engine, which let them be more flexible in that regard.
In principle, it makes sense to develop in parallel for the OS you want to support in the end - instead of doing it as an afterthought, because you might stumble over problems you might have easyly solved in the development process but are far more work intensive if you port it after the product is finished.

I have no problem waiting for Mac & Linux version until final realease of the game.
However I hope there won’t be massive performance differences between operating systems running on the same hardware. -> Wither 2 is fiting example to avoid (http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/virtual-programming-are-working-to-improve-the-witcher-2-on-linux.3881) OS X port was a big disappointment.

To voodoochild :

Yes I’m agree with you too and i totally understand than the linux/mac version is not the priority and I’m totally able to wait, I’m not hurt about that like others …
If I talk about using windows in kvm, it’s not to tell that I’m forced to do that. I need It for some other games and because it’s fun :smiley:
I want to test it on wine too.
If I tell that this date is important that’s because we can see how effort warhorse studio spend for this games and at this date we can report our first impression of the game.
I know you don’t tell that specially for me and I’m chocked to about reduce the pledge for this reason.
We firstly support the game not only the linux version and I prefer seeing the dev team spending time on sword combat and other features than porting the game soonly on linux/mac

Does anyone know the number of linux/mac backers ?

I wasn’t saying i want warhorse to bend over backwards just to release an alpha or beta for mac or linux, I’m with michalM mac, i have no problem waiting, i just want to make sure that in the end, the product on the mac is the same quality as it is on the PC.

Can I get the Alpha on windows and then the beta and final game on Mac or am I stuck with whatever I choose first? I would like to be able to play the alpha but I prefer my final game on Mac.

Just to clarify… my only real gripe is the ‘Linux only’ crowd demanding accommodation and compensation.

I think those people are way out of line honestly. No hard feelings, nothing personal, but I think your rage is misdirected.

The guys that DEMAND they have their Linux alpha… right now. Screaming about equal rights and what not. That was funny to me.

This isn’t about using Linux, or even preferring it… it’s about some Linux users staunch refusal to dual boot. You don’t have to like it, but the simple fact is, Windows is the dominant OS. If you cut yourself off from that… you cut yourself off from a LOT of computing world. I get it, you hate windows. Cool. So do I most times. But you made a choice to isolate yourself from the windows universe… crap like this is the price you pay for your convictions.

So if you really are a Linux ideologue, quit griping, take your lumps, you agreed to this when you went on your ‘Linux only’ crusade. If you take a hardship on yourself for moral or ethical reasons… it’s kinda cheap to then grouse about the price you pay. Like Martin Luther King grousing that his feet hurt after all that damned marching. Maybe in private a little vent about sore feet is cool… but can you imagine MLK PUBLICLY complaining about the hardships he endured because of the struggle he took on? No, he took his lumps and moved on.

Instead, why don’t you channel all this rage and energy into getting the alpha working in Linux? Ever hear of Wine… there ARE windows emulators out there. I bet it would be a pain in the ass to get it working in Wine… but if you pulled it off… you are the hero now instead of the whiner. I’d be willing to help out even, I dual boot with Ubuntu.

But if steadfastly hold to a ‘Linux only’ view… How much accommodation should the rest of the world give you because of the inconvenience you put yourself in?

I want full, final, and badass Linux version of this game. If it runs better, I will run THAT, not the windows version. If the windows version runs better I pick that one.

See what I did there? I made choices that benefit me, instead of some ideological tilting at windmills and railing against the evils of Microsoft and how everyone is out to get Linux.

Planetary Annihilation? Never heard of it until it was mentioned here. Cool they did a Linux alpha… did it come out on the same day as Windows Alpha? Or did it lag a few weeks or months behind? I’ve seen Linux alphas… I’ve never seen a Linux alpha come out on the same day as the first windows alpha. Maybe these guys did it… cool. But can we agree that this is NOT the industry norm? That even if it HAS happened once or twice before, it’s pretty damned rare.

What if Mac and Linux had to wait until… gasp… the Beta phase.

Would that be so terrible?

For that matter, why are the Linux users more important the console users? I bet plenty of PS4 and XBone folks are bummin’ they can pledge, but can’t participate in the alpha… granted, they never said ‘console alpha’… but they never said ‘linux alpha’ either… it was implied or inferred.

So to me, this isn’t about people running Linux or preferring a Linux version. It’s about people refusing to run anything else, and freaking out when their small comparative percentage is… ignored? I don’t think Warhorse is ignoring you, but can see how you might feel that way. The truth is… you are deprioritized. You’re there, you are on their radar, they want to get around to the Linux end of it eventually… but it is too small a number to put much resources towards it right now. That’s all it is. Just numbers and percentages. And developers having to make decisions on what benefits the most backers.

They said their will be a final Linux version. They said alpha was PC only. Some people interpreted ‘PC’ to mean Linux. Hey, you know what? Mac’s are “personal computers” too. Granted it could have been clearer on Warhorses part… but I think this is case of people inferring something that wasn’t there and seeing what they want to see ie PC=Linux and running off on bad assumptions. I never expected a Linux alpha at first release. I expected Windows only at first… and that is what happened.

So how is that with the same information and the same choices, I am fine with my choices, and you are upset with yours? Is that Warhorse’s fault? Or your own? Did they imply? or did you infer? It was never stated, so one or the other occurred here.

And I am serious about being willing to help out, see if we can get it running in Wine or another emulator.

I really think your energy should go there instead of raging at Warhorse. And I am willing to help out even.

I think you produced the most rage in this thread :wink:
definitely the most words